2320 replies to this topic

#1451 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Phone went off in the row behind me ten minutes in to Twelfth Night yesterday afternoon. Gave him the death stare.
Also at least three manic laughers! One woman some way behind was so intrusive that the audience began to laugh at her! Also one of them was on the stage seats which of course amplified it more.

#1452 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostMichael H, on 12 November 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

Reminds me of a time at a motorway service station some years ago, where someone skipped the queue, and someone else tried to complain to him.

"Oi!  There is a queue you know!  Q  U ..."

And he realised he didn't know how to spell the word.
#

Good try! Queue is a word easier to say than to spell, I think.  Which reminds me that when I was in a toilet in MET in NY, I asked the ladies "Is this the queue for the loo?".  It took them a while to figure out what I meant.

#1453 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Went to see War of the Worlds at Newcastle Arena on Monday and the woman sitting next to me filmed the whole show on her camera without a thought of whom she might be distracting.Why bother going to see a show if she only sees it through a lens. I did complain to staff at the interval who had a word with her but didn't make any difference whatsoever. I did ask her myself to put the camera down but she carried on filming trying to cover the camera up with her hand but I could still the light anyway. It definately spoint the whole evening!

#1454 Jenny_tyr

Jenny_tyr

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Shakespeare

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Wow that is awful, I saw a show in Newcastle some years ago and was sitting in the front row, the woman next to me had her phone go off but she not only pretended like nothing, she looked around and at ME like it was my phone. I had to stifle a serious urge to grab her handbag (with the phone in it) and stomp it to death. In hindsight I wish I had.
http://groups.yahoo....re_and_Company/
http://blogs.whatson.../rsc-histories/

#1455 musicalfan93

musicalfan93

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Went to see Scrooge at the Palladium on Thursday, matinee performance. A group of ladies had been directed to their seats in our row via the side myself & my family were sitting, we were more than happy to let them through so that they could take their seats. Shame the same couldn't be said for the rude, ignorant, grumpy old man next to my dad who turned around & told the ladies to go round the other side of the central block & get to their seats that way. At first I thought he was joking, but he was deadly serious & I have never known such rude behaviour! He did eventually get up & let them through after much huffing, puffing & moaning. We were sat on the end of the row, he was four seats in, he should know that people are going to have to get past him.
LONDON: A Chorus Line x3|American Psycho x1|Avenue Q x1|Blood Brothers x6|Charlie and The Chocolate Factory x2|Evita x1|Ghost x11|Hair x3|Hairspray x1|Imagine This x1|Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat x2|Legally Blonde x2|Lend Me A Tenor x1|Les Miserables x2|The Lion King x7|Lord of the Rings x4|Love Never Dies x6|Matilda x1|Oliver! x1|Phantom of the Opera x2|Priscilla Queen of the Desert x3|Scrooge x1|Shrek x1|Sister Act x2|Spamalot x3|Sweeney Todd x2|We Will Rock You x4|Wicked x9|Wizard of Oz x1 UK TOUR: Blood Brothers x2|Cabaret x1|Evita x1|Ghost x2|Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat x4|Rocky Horror Show x3|Scrooge x1  LEEDS: Peter Pan x1  BROADWAY: Wicked x1
PLAYS: Coriolanus (Donmar Warehouse) x2|King Lear (National Theatre 2014)|Othello (National Theatre 2013) x1|Macbeth (The Globe 2013) x1|The Cripple of Inishmaan x1

#1456 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

At Privates on Parade Saturday evening, oh God, where to begin?  I went with my family, and because we forgot to book until late, we were in the back row of the balcony, so we saw everything.

1) A couple of minutes after starting someone came in late.  This would have been fine, except they had the furthermost seat of the row and because of the Noel Coward Theatre layout they had to walk right across everybody, standing up loudly (people need to learn not to let their chairs fly up behind them - surely that's just always good manners!).  They got into their seat, talking to their companion.  A minute later they were still talking to their companion and had to be shushed.  They decided they didn't like their seat, got up and tried another.  And another.  And another.  Then just walked out.

2) My father and I thought this was a different person, my mother and brother thought it the same chair-wonderer.  In the middle of SRB's first speech about being gay, someone got up, saying something like "I can't take any more of this" and talked to themself all the way out.  I assumed they'd not realised "Privates on Parade" might have naughty bits and were some sort of homophobe leaving for political reasons.  It might have just been that talky chair-wonderer really couldn't bear his seat(s) so he just walked out.  Whichever way, poor show.

3) A party to my left had clearly bought something like two tickets in row D and two in row E.  Despite being sold out, the balcony was a third empty, and so they often just got up and switched seats.  At one point (I ignored them most of the time, because bless them they were quite quiet and relatively invisible) I noticed one in row E reaching under the row D chair to pick up their bag or something.  In the second half they just switched seats and were quiet though.

4) A party to my right, at the start of the second, after the Noel Coward song, for reasons of which I'm not quite sure, got up and moved two seats to the right.  Again, good manners say to me "Carefully push your seat back" but oh no, these thumped back.  I wasn't sure why they needed to wait until curtain up to do what would be best suited to the interval.  One person clearly had a cough and kept taking tablets or sweets for it, which made a bit of noise.  And in the middle of the second half one suddenly rushed out.  Rushing out disturbs a whole row.  I heard a loud cough from behind me, so bless him he was trying to withhold a coughing fit and be as merciful to the audience as possible, but the thump of the chair, the noise walking over people makes and his party calling "ALEX!" to him as he left didn't help.

It's a testament to the play's strength that I could ignore these and enjoy the play, which I did a fair bit, but the audience was terrible.  And London's streets were filled with what seemed like hundreds of drunken santas.  It was quite a tough day, to be honest, but at least the play made up for it.  Just.

#1457 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

nothing too new, but this is the first I have heard of interruptions by a live mouse in a costume LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-20532044
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1458 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Last week at The Effect, second row of the sofas right in the eyeline of cast and audience were a family. Both parents were asleep within 20 minutes, and did the head bobbing thing enough to constantly catch your eye. The three young girls all looked bored half to death, appeared to chat amongst themselves. Then when there was bad language, nudity and sexual scenes the parents tried to cover their childrens eyes to much fuss. Totally wrong of the National to let children in to a show with those sort of scenes...

#1459 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Must have been tourists.

#1460 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

It raises the question if films have age classifications, why doesn't theatre?  I feel sorry for those kids at The Effect, they probably wished they were at Wicked or something. I wonder if any kids saw Mercury Fur at the Trafalgar Studios earlier this year, they're probably still having nightmares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users