2323 replies to this topic

#1461 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Happy Christmas everybody. This extraordinary piece of bad behaviour at a performance of Miriam Margoyles' one woman show seems to have passed us by. The offender in this case being Ms Margoyles.

http://www.standard....ts-8411486.html

According to the theatre gossip site, Talkin’ Broadway, when Margolyes came on for her bow the entire audience rose to their feet — with the exception of one woman in the front row, who merely clapped somewhat indifferently.

Margolyes motioned for the audience to sit down then turned on the woman, demanding to know why she hadn’t taken part in the ovation. The woman said she once stood at the Barbican for Derek Jacobi. According to Talkin’ Broadway’s theatre spy, Margolyes replied, “I’m sure Derek Jacobi deserved your standing ovation. So should Dickens. You’re very rude.” In response, “most of the audience again applauded” — perhaps as much out of fear as admiration.

I wonder if Alan Rickman has ever been to see her show?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1462 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Good grief. I wonder how she would have felt if the lady had  been     disabled.

#1463 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Not so much bad behaviour but irritating. At Privates on Parade last Thu and people with kids leaving when they realise the show isnt suitable for their child!  The clunk of seats could be clearly heard. Why bring what appeared to be an 11yr old boy to a show, then mutter about it whilst leaving. Do people NOT check out what they are seeing?

#1464 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I seem to remember there are warning notices about bad language and nudity on the way in?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1465 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Interesting. There was similarly aged girl at The Orphan of Zhao. I wouldn't have noticed her but for the fact she was shaking the ice in her plastic cup. She was shushed by adult next to her. I don't think the production was suitable really. Maybe the title looked ok for juniors rather Dickensien in a Chinese way....

#1466 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

An interesting situation occurred in Los Angeles recently at the Mark Taper Forum, the premier venue for plays in the city.  During the first act of Other Desert Cities someone's cell phone went off in the midst of an intense family confrontation scene  and destroyed the moment.  Robert  Foxworth, the actor who plays the  patriarch of the family, took it upon himself to appear on stage during the intermission and angrily berated the offending audience member.  I was told about it by a friend who felt the second act was ruined by Foxworth abandoning his character to appear as himself in such a dramatic way- even though he waited until intermission.

I must say I'm of two minds about it.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#1467 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Why didn't a front of house manager come on ? Better than the actor who should stay above it all. Apart from icy stare of course.

#1468 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

View Postxanderl, on 31 December 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

I seem to remember there are warning notices about bad language and nudity on the way in?
There most certainly are.

#1469 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

View Postxanderl, on 31 December 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

A bit late though - there's nothing on the main webpage suggesting it might be unsuitable. Not sure what you're meant to do if you've bought tickets for a jolly Carry On romp and then discover as you arrive at the theatre that it might not be appropriate (though opinions will differ over that)

#1470 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 24 December 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

It raises the question if films have age classifications, why doesn't theatre?  I feel sorry for those kids at The Effect, they probably wished they were at Wicked or something. I wonder if any kids saw Mercury Fur at the Trafalgar Studios earlier this year, they're probably still having nightmares.

I'm still having nightmares from that. One of my top 3 of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users