#1471 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 02 January 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

A bit late though - there's nothing on the main webpage suggesting it might be unsuitable. Not sure what you're meant to do if you've bought tickets for a jolly Carry On romp and then discover as you arrive at the theatre that it might not be appropriate (though opinions will differ over that)

Maybe it depends on where you book through, Delfont Mackintosh website give a language and nudity warning. Maybe if you buy from an agency it doesnt.  I take my kids to the theatre a lot and if I'm in any doubt about a show I do a bit of research or failing that I see the show myself first (I know not every one can do this).

#1472 Eatbigsea

Eatbigsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

At today's Cirque du Soleil matinee, I was sitting next to a young-ish couple who were generally well-behaved for the first half, a bit of chatting but I recognise that it's not Hamlet and some "Oh my God" and "That's amazing" goes with the territory.  After the interval, however, the bloke, who was sitting next to me, began speaking loudly throughout the entire first number of the second half, which was very distracting.  When I asked him to "please stop talking quite so much" the response was that I should move to the row in front, which was empty (but which had shown up as being booked and which the staff had used as a cut-through in the first half, so I didn't move - it wouldn't have affected my hearing them in any event).  Was it wrong to object?

#1473 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostEatbigsea, on 16 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Was it wrong to object?

Absolutely not. As long as you ask politely I don't see it as being a problem. I think his response was unacceptable. The problem is it disturbs those around you if you get up and move or go and see the FOH staff to complain. Sorry your enjoyment was ruined

#1474 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I know its not quite the same, but I went to see Les Mis at the cinema, opening night (11th Jan) & then the following Friday
both times I was unfortunate to sit amongst some of the most irritating people
First showing, I pretty much sobbed quietly from "I dreamed a dream", at one point during the film (Stars) I quietly got out of my aisle seat & scuttled out into the foyer so that I could blow my nose (sorry!) without annoying the other patrons.  My bad behaviour aside, the silly girls sitting next to me, drove me mad, they were giggling and pointing at me crying and whispering to each other all through the film, then at the end (where our audience clapped), they waid to me quite rudely, "oh my god, did you enjoy that?"..... Err "yes, not as good as the stage show, but nice to see some West End performers on the big screen" ..... while they gaped at me, I just turned on my heel and left.
Second performance, the man sitting behind me came very close to wearing my drink over his head, the continual kicking of the back of my chair in time to the music was very distracting, and also uncomfortable considering I have a bad back at the moment.  After a while I turned and glared at him, he stopped,  then a couple of songs later did it again, so again I turned and glared pointedly at him, he stopped again...... got to "Do Your Hear The People Sing" & the tempo upped the kicking of the chair.... I didnt say a word, I just stood up, glared at him and moved to the seat directly in front of my seat...... His response...... stage whispered to whoever he was with, "good grief, some people are just so rude!".......... gah! rant over
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1475 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostTina, on 23 January 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I know its not quite the same, but I went to see Les Mis at the cinema, opening night (11th Jan) & then the following Friday
both times I was unfortunate to sit amongst some of the most irritating people
First showing, I pretty much sobbed quietly from "I dreamed a dream", at one point during the film (Stars) I quietly got out of my aisle seat & scuttled out into the foyer so that I could blow my nose (sorry!) without annoying the other patrons.  My bad behaviour aside, the silly girls sitting next to me, drove me mad, they were giggling and pointing at me crying and whispering to each other all through the film, then at the end (where our audience clapped), they waid to me quite rudely, "oh my god, did you enjoy that?"..... Err "yes, not as good as the stage show, but nice to see some West End performers on the big screen" ..... while they gaped at me, I just turned on my heel and left.
Second performance, the man sitting behind me came very close to wearing my drink over his head, the continual kicking of the back of my chair in time to the music was very distracting, and also uncomfortable considering I have a bad back at the moment.  After a while I turned and glared at him, he stopped,  then a couple of songs later did it again, so again I turned and glared pointedly at him, he stopped again...... got to "Do Your Hear The People Sing" & the tempo upped the kicking of the chair.... I didnt say a word, I just stood up, glared at him and moved to the seat directly in front of my seat...... His response...... stage whispered to whoever he was with, "good grief, some people are just so rude!".......... gah! rant over

You need to go to a better class of cinema. Have you tried Picturehouse?

#1476 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

You get it at nearly every cinema, sadly. More people could take note of Kermode's code of condct

Posted Image

#1477 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 02 January 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Delfont Mackintosh website give a language and nudity warning.

I bet they do. A nudity "warning" in a piece of "serious" theatre is enough to fill any theatre in the land. It helps with the publicity if you can place a few serious-minded articles in the press about it  too, they'll lap it up ...

http://www.thetimes....icle3626894.ece

#1478 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

dmaplewood has posted exactly why I hate going to the cinema. And from what we read here, the theare is also a threatened species.

#1479 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostDuncan, on 23 January 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

You need to go to a better class of cinema. Have you tried Picturehouse?

Unfortunately this rarely helps, I was at the Barbican cinema last week and the audience was a disgrace, constantly talking throughout the film.

#1480 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

A good cinema is hard to come by. Luckily there is a lovely one called The Rex (in Berkhampstead) that is restored art deco place. Beautiful, big comfy seats or seating around tables, and a quiet audience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo