2326 replies to this topic

#1481 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

We had the gigglers at the Julius Caesar (Donmar) last Saturday Matinee.  They were particularly partial to the additional dialogue inserted by the ? director, one word of which started with "F".

I actually quite liked the production, not having expected to before going.

#1482 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I must be very lucky. I go to the cinema (mostly Picturehouse and NFT)  and theatre about 70 times a year and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been genuinely annoyed by another audience member. Certainly I don't think mobile phones and talking are common in straight theatre - maybe musicals attract a different audience?

#1483 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 24 January 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Certainly I don't think mobile phones and talking are common in straight theatre - maybe musicals attract a different audience?

Yes, musicals attract chavs on a night out who are more used to televiewing. In my experience talking in legitimate theatre is fairly rare and confined to the very old (Chichester, Richmond), the very young (school parties) and foreigners (Stratford). The latter provided the only occasion when I told someone to shut up but unfortunately, not speaking English, they could not understand what I was saying and I had to repeat it several times to no avail.

#1484 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

At Rock of Ages last night the guy next to me was obviously a die hard fan. He knew every word and every gesture in the show. Nothing wrong with that, I do for several of my favourite shows and I've seen Rock of Ages several times as well.
What was wrong in my opinion was the fact that he mouthed along to the complete show - songs, dialogues.. everything. All with quite funny facial expressions. He even copied gestures the people on stage made. The constant movement next to me was quite distracting I have to say. I'm just glad he at least didn't sing along.

#1485 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostSteffi, on 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

At Rock of Ages last night the guy next to me was obviously a die hard fan. He knew every word and every gesture in the show. Nothing wrong with that, I do for several of my favourite shows and I've seen Rock of Ages several times as well.
What was wrong in my opinion was the fact that he mouthed along to the complete show - songs, dialogues.. everything. All with quite funny facial expressions. He even copied gestures the people on stage made. The constant movement next to me was quite distracting I have to say. I'm just glad he at least didn't sing along.

At the other end of the scale at the Swan the programmes for their Jacobean rarities used to contain the full play text and you could be sure that several people in the audience would sit there reading along, all turning their pages at the same time, staring down at the text for the entire performance. Eventually they had to ask people to stop doing it is it was distracting the actors.

#1486 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yes, my recent trip to see Les Mis in the cinema reminded me why I have not been to the cinema for ages. People talking and fidgeting and constantly running out to the loo ( can't people hold their bladders for more than an hour ) althought that may be due to the gallons of soft drinks they consume. I would like to see the film again but will await the DVD and see it in the comfort and quiet of my own home!

#1487 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 24 January 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

A good cinema is hard to come by. Luckily there is a lovely one called The Rex (in Berkhampstead) that is restored art deco place. Beautiful, big comfy seats or seating around tables, and a quiet audience.

And soon there'll be a similar one in St Albans.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1488 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 24 January 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Yes, my recent trip to see Les Mis in the cinema reminded me why I have not been to the cinema for ages. People talking and fidgeting and constantly running out to the loo ( can't people hold their bladders for more than an hour ) althought that may be due to the gallons of soft drinks they consume. I would like to see the film again but will await the DVD and see it in the comfort and quiet of my own home!

It's the massive fizzy drinks the staff talk you into buying - not only are they much larger than most people would normally consume over a couple of hours, but they're also full of caffeine, which has a diuretic effect and is a stimulant. Hence the fidgeting and needing the loo after an hour or so.

I point this out to the kiosk staff every time they try and persuade me to pay 'just 10 p more!' for a bigger drink than I've asked for. I don't know why they care so much about that extra 10p, they're already charging a fortune!

#1489 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 24 January 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

And soon there'll be a similar one in St Albans.

I know, which will be great as it'll be a little nearer me, and with twice the capacity, popular films won't sell out so fast.

Another theatre I've been to is the electric in Birmingham. Run down, but run out of love, and always get a nice quiet crowd.

#1490 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostSteffi, on 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

He was at the cast change shows too in the day seats and was at the same thing. He looked ridiculous flapping around and making his strange facial expressions. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users