2316 replies to this topic

#1491 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hmm. Actually that sounds rather like he might have some kind of autism spectrum disorder.

#1492 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

In fairness I find it hard not to mouth along to the dialogue in Wicked, I've seen it that many times. God help me when they make a film version and I get the hump because the dialogue changes!

I saw Goodnight Mr. Tom this week from the dress circle - someone in the front of the stalls sat texting someone for the first five minutes of the show - I just don't get it! Surely knowing you're sat in darkness means you know your phone is glowing for all to see!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#1493 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Not bad behaviour, just tickled me. Really posh woman to really posh man during interval of Richard III "His mother, the old queen, looks just like Val Pearlman". I'm still chuckling now, guess you had to be there.
www.frontrowdress.com

#1494 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 24 January 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Hmm. Actually that sounds rather like he might have some kind of autism spectrum disorder.
Didn't look like it to me. He was totally behaved and "normal" before the show and in the interval.

View PostKevinUK, on 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

In fairness I find it hard not to mouth along to the dialogue in Wicked, I've seen it that many times. God help me when they make a film version and I get the hump because the dialogue changes!
I have no problem with people mouthing along to the songs or maybe a few lines. But the whole show all with hand movements and basically mirroring the cast's facial expressions is a bit much.

#1495 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostSteffi, on 24 January 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Didn't look like it to me. He was totally behaved and "normal" before the show and in the interval.

That's perfectly possible, though.  Many people on the spectrum manage to function quite normally most of the time. It's the complete lack of embarrassment at behaving like he did (or lack of awareness that he was breaking the social rules of the setting) plus the apparently compulsive need to copy everything that has me suspecting ASD.

#1496 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Lion King last night must have had every single type of bad behaviour going - people not even caring to whisper, singing out loud extremely loud (and on their own), mobile phones going off, and the whole place was talking during the opening number! And the productions tired - it needs to go!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#1497 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Waiting at the Donmar yesterday to pick up my Julius Caesar ticket, a woman came in and as soon as the counter was free walked round me and started asking the guy something. I pointed out I was waiting, she said "Oh sorry, I didn't realise there was a queue!" I was too polite to reply "Well WTF do you think I'm standing here for then!"
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1498 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

View PostSteffi, on 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

At Rock of Ages last night the guy next to me was obviously a die hard fan. He knew every word and every gesture in the show. Nothing wrong with that, I do for several of my favourite shows and I've seen Rock of Ages several times as well.
What was wrong in my opinion was the fact that he mouthed along to the complete show - songs, dialogues.. everything. All with quite funny facial expressions. He even copied gestures the people on stage made. The constant movement next to me was quite distracting I have to say. I'm just glad he at least didn't sing along.

Well with the noise from The Garrick I think maybe he should have sung to drown out the noise of the tube trains! I'm being flippant here, I know exactly what you mean, how off putting

#1499 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

I dont promote my blog as Ive only recently started writing, I just do it to get down my thoughts. But I have just written a small piece about behaviour at a show prompted by some rude & unruly audience members at Jersey Boys on Fri night. I'm just copying a couple of paragraphs so you can see what happened. This is true:

I was sat in second row of the Prince Edward theatre as I wanted a really close view of the stage, it's the first time I've been sat so close, but figured for once I'd give it a go. Had I been in my usual chosen area I would have no doubt been in the thick of seeing what was happening about a dozen rows behind me. However, I could hear it all!  I heard a rumble of noise really from the start of the show, I never thought too much of it as from my experience, people can get slightly excited when a show starts. But approx 40 minutes into the show the noise got louder and there appeared to be what Lou from Little Britain would describe as a "kerfuffle" taking place.  Being so close to the front it was not possible to see but I most definitely knew there was an issue. Whatever it was caused a small ripple across the stalls.

During the interval I wandered up to the foyer and that was when the fallout from the kerfuffle took place. I saw at least two women worse for wear being what can only be described as downright rude to the Front of House staff. Their indignation at not being able to "enjoy" themselves was unbelievable.  Clearly their enjoyment was to be at the expense of the hundreds of other people in the auditorium!  They actually shouted at the member of FOH that they were told not to dance on the seats! Well would you do this at home? No wonder theatres are requesting a restoration levy to pay for repairs.  Quite rightly the FOH member dealing with the problem told them that they needed to be calm. One of the women said she'd paid for her ticket, the reply to this was that the ticket entitled her to watch the show, not participate in it! I felt this was a reasonable and fair response.  I didn't stay to watch so I was unsure of the outcome. If they returned to the stalls I was not aware as they must have been quiet. I'm secretly hoping they were thrown out on their annoying backsides or at least felt some shame due to their behaviour!

I dont want to be a killjoy & I appreciate some audience participation in a show like this, I clap along when appropriate & even stand at encores when encouraged by cast members ie Jersey Boys, Rock of Ages, Mamma Mia etc. But I wouldnt dream of standing on seats and then being rude to FOH staff. Poor behaviour is ruining some shows

#1500 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I once joked about equipping FOH staff with tasers. Looks as if that day is getting nearer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users