#1501 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostDuncan, on 28 January 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

I once joked about equipping FOH staff with tasers. Looks as if that day is getting nearer.

I dream of inventing a device like a mobile phone jammer that renders people within its radius mute.

#1502 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sometimes when someone is talking or rustling plastic bags close enough to me to be really annoying but too far away for me to be able to ask them to be quiet, I fantasize about having a supply of elastic bands to ping at them....

#1503 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postjaqs, on 28 January 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

I dream of inventing a device like a mobile phone jammer that renders people within its radius mute.

There is one, but I believe they cant use it in the theatre as it has an impact on their equipment

View PostAbby, on 28 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Sometimes when someone is talking or rustling plastic bags close enough to me to be really annoying but too far away for me to be able to ask them to be quiet, I fantasize about having a supply of elastic bands to ping at them....

Off to WHSmith to buy a bundle for the weekend

#1504 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

View Postjaqs, on 28 January 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

A cluebat renders them mute quite effectively.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1505 TracyK

TracyK

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, crime books and sci fi

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

I was at Les Miserables on Saturday night and the person next to me was singing/speaking the words along to the show through the whole first half - glared a few times but didn't seem to register, continued through the second half as well despite a few more glares.
There's Always Tomorrow

#1506 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Saw two West End shows this week. Rock of Ages, which had a surprisingly mute audience, and Top Hat which to quote My Fair Lady was like "chickens cackling in a barn". No amount of glaring or shushing would shut up their nattering or repeating every punch line.

#1507 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Went to Wicked this week for the Wednesday matinee, and there was the most annoying type of person in front of me...parents who decide to give their children a handful of crisps at the start of every song, not only the munching, but the view of the woman's arm reaching to reach the child sitting 2 seats down from her was constant.

Seriously, not to mention the abuse of booster seats...at the same show they thought 3, yes THREE, would be good for their quite average sized 7 year old.  Even the people behind me were complaining, then I politely asked the mother if the booster seats could be reduced, her response was 'how is he supposed to see the stage' and I slightly lost my patience and said 'with his eyes, like every other child in this theatre' then I pointed over to the most polite school group ever.

LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#1508 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I was at WWRY on tuesday night, and there was a very very loud family sitting behind me and my sister. They talked loudly all the way through act 1, spilled popcorn everywhere, and one of the children kept leaning right over my sister's seat to get a better view (and still talking all the while). I turned around and shushed them several times but they never shut up once. Thankfully the rest of the audience were brilliant and the show was great!
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#1509 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

her response was 'how is he supposed to see the stage' and I slightly lost my patience and said 'with his eyes, like every other child in this theatre'

Genius. I was in front row for Old Times last week and had to ask the couple next to me to stop talking since they weren't even bothering to whisper. I was waiting for them to get huffy and say something, as I had my retort all planned out but alas they just gave me the side eye for the next hour.

#1510 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I had to shush the people behind me at Billy Elliot last week, when my glares didn't do the trick.
Honestly, how you don't take the hint when someone is turning around to look at you pointedly...

One of their party was doing that really annoying thing where they whisper *loudly* so their friends/partner can hear them over the music. If the person sitting two seats along in your row can hear that, love, so can the person sitting in the row in front and the row behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users