2316 replies to this topic

#1511 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I was at Billy Elliot last night and I had Mr "Bobble Head" in front of me; to the left, to the right, left, right, left, right! I felt nauseous trying to see the stage myself through the gaps left in his constant too-ing and fro-ing. Then to make matters worse he bent his leg and put his foot on top of the empty chair in front of him, then rested his out stretched arm on his knee wafting it around.  I had to lean forward and ask him to put his hand down as it completely blocked my view. He seemed very miffed, but did at last stop it.

On a different note (not sure where to post this) I got a £20 ticket so was back row of the DC, no problem the view was great. However much of DC was empty including the whole of row A on the left. Before I went into the show I asked a manager if there were any empty seats available that I could move into, I knew it was a bit cheeky as my ticket was an offer one, she said I couldnt unless I paid the extra money. Fair enough, I decided to stay with what I'd got.  I even got into some chat with the FOH upstairs so plucked up the courage about 2 mins from curtain up to ask if I could move & he said it was policy not to allow it unless a manager said so.  Strangely enough his colleague moved loads of people forward on her side of the theatre whereas the side I was on had numerous empty seats but no one was moved, not even during the interval.  It seemed odd to have the back 3 rows (which were clearly the offer seats) full but lots in front empty. I've been in other theatres where they have just come along and offered you to move. Like I say I was happy with my view (apart from Wobble Head). I know I was probably out of order to ask, but it seemed a little silly not to fill from the front. Any thoughts?

#1512 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Happens a lot with premium seats these days. I got cast rate tickets for Shrek matinee on Wednesday for the Thursday matinee. Front row, middle block of the dress. Surely they shouldn't have been free 24 hours before (though very happy they were of course).

And yes, theatres really should move people, but then it comes a case of, who do you move first etc. Think people moving themselves at the interval is the best way.

#1513 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I will only move if I have been upgraded by the theatre and I would never ask. Best thing is to do box office pick up and hope for the best. Doesn't seem fair on the people who have paid more to just move and sit where you want.

I've sat on a full back row of the Olivier circle with rows of empty seats in front and nobody moved forward.

#1514 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postzyx123, on 08 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I will only move if I have been upgraded by the theatre and I would never ask..

I understand what you are saying, but I have also been told by other theatres to just ask as theyre happy to  move. When I went to see Cabaret before Xmas, much of the middle of Stalls was empty. They moved those in the cheaper rear seats forwards, It must make it disheartening for the performers to see swathes of empty seats

#1515 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I've moved many times, have never even thought to ask and I've never been challenged. Only when there's a fair amount of seats, obviously - I've seen too many scuffles when someone has moved forward into a spare single seat and its owner has appeared 10 minutes late.

#1516 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I asked a manager if I could move forward at Billy Elliot, and they allocated me a new seat no problems. It does seem daft when they know half the stalls seats are empty not to move people from the back forward.

#1517 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think they avoid it because they don't want people who feel that if people haven't paid for a premium seat, they shouldn't sit in one, and I can see people who have payed more causing a fuss.

Personally, when I have got a top price seat, I buy it for the guarantee of a good view, and if there is space for more people then they are welcome to join me.

#1518 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

A few weeks ago we went to see Shrek. Now, I know it's a show primarily aimed at children, so we went expecting a lot of talking at unacceptable moments. However, we had the great misfortune of sitting infront of a Portuguese family on holiday whose children didn't understand a world of English. So the mother literally kept on translating the entire show for them. She was asked to be quiet several times, which she did for about 5 minutes. Problem was, she was never even discrete about it, for example at the end of act 1, the music and singing gets loud as Shrek and Fiona sing together, so this mother SHOUTS over the top of it to describe the song to her kids. She was also slow in translating, so sometimes 30 seconds after the audience stopped laughing at a funny moment, the mother eventually translates it and the two kids began laughing :-\

I just don't understand... :( Whyyyyyyyyy?!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#1519 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostCoggit, on 09 February 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

A few weeks ago we went to see Shrek. Now, I know it's a show primarily aimed at children, so we went expecting a lot of talking at unacceptable moments. However, we had the great misfortune of sitting infront of a Portuguese family on holiday whose children didn't understand a world of English. So the mother literally kept on translating the entire show for them. She was asked to be quiet several times, which she did for about 5 minutes. Problem was, she was never even discrete about it, for example at the end of act 1, the music and singing gets loud as Shrek and Fiona sing together, so this mother SHOUTS over the top of it to describe the song to her kids. She was also slow in translating, so sometimes 30 seconds after the audience stopped laughing at a funny moment, the mother eventually translates it and the two kids began laughing :-\

I just don't understand... :( Whyyyyyyyyy?!

People are too nice, I'd have got one of the staff to tell her to shut up or leave.  I had the misfortune of sitting beside a load of Chinese tourists at Phantom one time, and it didn't take long for a staff member to come and tell them to stop talking and put their cameras away.  I still had to tell them to be quiet a couple more times, but for the most part the warning worked.

#1520 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I went to see The Phantom of the Opera tour in Southampton last night and the performance was superb. However, there were a group of about 6 people behind me who kept doing the following:
1. making noises as if flicking the corner of a book; like a flicker book. I turned around a number of times to glare but the were oblivious
2. retelling the whole story to the person sat next to them. It was like a delayed time feed
3. coughing really loudly as if trying to bring up a lung. Didnt try to conceal it nor bought a drink/bottle of water in the interval. In fact I think the whole show took place in a consumption ward as the coughing echoed constantly across the auditorium.

I did turn around at the interval to say that there was someone "flicking paper" I didnt know which person it was out of the 6 so only aimed it at the whole group, but it didnt stop them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users