2320 replies to this topic

#1541 theatre_kirsty

theatre_kirsty

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Another Phantom of the opera complaint from a week or so ago. I had a couple sitting next to me on the front row who were foreign. the bloke was obviously cramped as there isnt much legroom and kept swapping hs legs over which rocked every chair down the row when he did it. and then he was constantly whispering to his partner who was sat next to me. we ll he started whispering through the prologue and then the overture. I was not standing for that cuz i knew he would carry on throught the whole show if i didnt do something. so i leaned forward, glared at him and went shhhhh!! did the trick. i will always try and stop bad behaviour if its going to affect my enjoyment and with Phantom it holds a special place in my heart so i just wont tolerate rudeness. the only other thing that bugged me that night and i could do nothing about was the constant coughing all around the auditorium. I just wanted to ask the entire audience if they would mind dying a bit more quietly!!!

#1542 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

View Postcat123, on 25 February 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

The person whose phone rang during Paul's monologue at A Chorus Line tonight... Would anyone object if I hunted them down and punched them in the nose?

Feel free! If I had a gun I would shoot the b*********

#1543 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I don't know if this counts but in the Q for Book of Mormon last night, we had been there since 5.30. This guy comes and pushes in and then starts smoking in the line which was the last straw for my girlfriend who asked him to move. He then made a phone call, it was at this point I recognised him as joe tracini (z lister and son of Joe Pasquale) on the phone he started loudly speaking about us telling him to move and telling the caller my gf was a C"&. Someone from the theatre then came and told him he didn't have to queue and he went right in. If I hadn't been so desperate to see the show I'd certainly have given him a lesson in respect as he's half my size!

#1544 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

He didn't have to queue. Damn. How annoying is that? You should have led a rebellion, stormed the theatre foyer. ( so he is stupid as well as crass  eh, not going straight in!)

#1545 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

The guy in front of me at Top Hat tonight either had worms or fleas and couldn't sit still for more than 10 seconds.  He was actually less fidgety (but more noisy) while he was eating his baguette throughout the opening number!

#1546 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

I don't think coughing constitutes bad behaviour (especially because I was doing it more than most and don't want to namecheck myself as behaving badly at a show) but something nasty has been going round for a while and I didn't realise until Macbeth today how many people seem to have a terrible cough - a number of people where I am have one but evidently lots of people in London do too.  Even McAvoy seemed to cough once or twice where I thought it was just him, not for the play.  If I ever run a theatre, I'd sell cough sweets at 10p a pop or 8 for £1 or something similar alongside icecreams and programmes.

On that note, though, when I saw Old Times some three weeks ago, someone was coughing all the way through the final, wordless minutes, clearly trying not to, but, in such a quiet and important moment, it was a bit noticeable.  Then someone 'whispered' "Get out".  To me, that was much ruder and more disturbing than the cough, but that might just be my opinion.

#1547 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Nicholas, I was at Macbeth today too, and goodness, you're not kidding about the coughing. There's a point, when the coughs sound like they might need medical attention, that I stop getting annoyed and start worrying about catching something. Which isn't conducive to paying proper attention to the play. :) Cough sweets sold in the theatre sounds like a wonderful idea!

To add another complaint from Macbeth, though - where is people's common sense? The show was certainly loud and flashy a good deal of the time. Why not open your loud sweet bags in one fell go during some of the crash/bang scenes? Nobody'd hear you. Instead, the row behind me decided it'd be a good idea to wait until a scene where it was completely quiet, with lots of pregnant silences, to eeeeeeek open their bags eeeeeever so slowly. Rustle rustle rustle squeak. If I'd had eyes in the back of my head they would have been glaring.

#1548 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Remember someone coughing a lot during The Ring Cycle at the Royal Opera House, and people ordering them out. But given the ticket price and rarity of the occasion, you can sort of understand it. Was tempted to say "If you have consumption, you are at the wrong opera, La Boheme is next season!" but restrained myself.

#1549 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

I still fail to see why people can't go a few hours without eating! I only ever take a bottle of water (without a sports nozzle) but only in case I get a dry throat and usually only sip it during the break. I understand the theatre make money on sweets/drinks but people seem to think they are in their lounge at home watching the TV and eat, drink, chat & put feet up on the chairs! There's no sense of decorum anymore

#1550 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostNicholas, on 01 March 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

On that note, though, when I saw Old Times some three weeks ago, someone was coughing all the way through the final, wordless minutes, clearly trying not to, but, in such a quiet and important moment, it was a bit noticeable.  Then someone 'whispered' "Get out".  To me, that was much ruder and more disturbing than the cough, but that might just be my opinion.
Telling someone to get out for coughing is definitely rude - I know its unbelievably annoying, especially during quiet scenes and sometimes its more annoying if they're trying to smother it, but its up to them whether its bad enough to leave, and definitely speaking must disturb everyone! A cough could be considered background noise, but words are definitely going to break the spell that silence in a play creates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users