2320 replies to this topic

#1561 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Oh, I don't think people should stay at home if they have a cough! It's annoying, particularly if it sounds catching, but it's not something they can stop and in the grand scheme of things it's one of my lesser theatre annoyances. :) People talking/whispering or continually rustling snack bags are much more obtrusive and frustrating, IMO.

#1562 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 March 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

whilst i get that coughing is an annoying sound at any time let alone in theatre people here are being unbelievably hard and holier than thou. if you have bought and paid for a ticket thats cost a lot of money if all you have is a cough you arnt just going to waste it, same as you wouldnt call in sick at work. ive gone plenty of times with a cough, take cough sweets and water, but if that doesnt work i cough. also if the production is good enough i usually find ut easy enough to forget about other sounds in theatre and focus on whats happening on stage.

also how do you know you dont do things to annoy others!

Going to the theatre is pretty easy. The only rules you have to follow are that once the house lights go down you don't make any noise (maybe clap if you like) and you sit still.

You have to give full marks to the RSC who I think are the only theatre who suggest in their programmes that coughing spoils the performance for others and should be avoided.

#1563 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

What a horribly selfish turn this topic has taken. I often attend the theatre with a patent who suffers asthma. Theatres are old dusty buildings and a lot of the stalls sections are actually underground. Even the damp in the air that a person blessed with regular breathing would never notice can cause unintentional coughing fits. Consider the struggles of others before moaning about them.

#1564 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

*parent

#1565 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

So I shouldn't be bothered by the person who decided to snore through the second half of a play I saw this afternoon as they might have some form of sleep disorder?

#1566 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

View Postzyx123, on 03 March 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

So I shouldn't be bothered by the person who decided to snore through the second half of a play I saw this afternoon as they might have some form of sleep disorder?
I doubt he/she 'decided to snore'. What he/she did do was fall asleep which is not exactly uncommon in hot, stuffy theatres with no air conditioning.. I've seen matinees in Richmond where about a third of the audience are dead to the world.

#1567 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

The snoring scenario happened to me once - and I think it was actually in Richmond! - but I gave the guy a polite nudge and he woke right up as if he didn't know what had happened and was fine thereafter.  I know this is risky and if he had been a big bruiser I made have gone to plan B.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#1568 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Coughing in the theatre can be irritating, as can any noise, but at this time of year it is unavoidable. Like one of the posters above, I have had a persistant cough for a few weeks now, but I had theatre booked & felt otherwise well, so I went along armed with water, cough sweets & a determination to be as un-disruptive as possible, yet I did cough at times & was embarrassed. And it is true that the more you try to stop, the worse it gets...
So, sorry to everyone around me!

Have to say though, at The Tailor Made Man (Arts Theatre), the ever present atmospheric fog from the smoke machine really didn't help!

I am much more disturbed by people making noise that they CAN help, such as rustling wrappers, eating or drinking noisily (& smelly food is a pet hate of mine), using their phones & talking during a performance.

#1569 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

View Postfreckles, on 03 March 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Have to say though, at The Tailor Made Man (Arts Theatre), the ever present atmospheric fog from the smoke machine really didn't help!

One type of coughing I hate is the psychosomatic coughing that results from any use of smoke effects on stage, even when (as in most cases) the "smoke" is physiologically incapable of causing anyone to cough. I was involved with one show where I was using a rather leaky dry ice machine, and I'd be in a room with dense fog billowing around me with no problems at all while in front of the curtain the first wisp of fog caused a barrage of coughs, even from people well above the level of the fog. I still don't know whether it's a genuine psychosomatic reaction or a conscious one to say "I can see the smoke" in the same way some people will make a point of laughing loudly so everyone knows they understood a joke.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1570 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

It was not psychosomatic. The dry smoke caused a reaction, maybe because I had a cough already! My eyes were hurting too by the end, it made them really dry & itchy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users