#1581 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 05 March 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

On my mere 2 visits to the YA, I've been annoyed by unpleasant snooty audience members including one bloke who tapped me with his rolled-up programme and said "The queue ends back there, sonny", looking just slightly past me, when I'd just gone to look at what flavours of ice cream there were. I looked just past him, tapped him with my programme, and said "I know. I'm looking at what flavours there are, daddy". A woman sitting next to my friend took exception to some minor innocuous thing he did - he shifted about in his seat 2 or 3 times, but without elbowing her or anything - and used that as reason to start haranguing him non-stop, calling him a "nightmare". Among various other unsavoury incidents - all from just two visits! (The only two I'll ever make).

Wow, that was really brave of you, Backdrifter - exactly the type of response for which I wish I had the nerve!

#1582 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Although having to keep standing up to let people into your row is annoying, you can hardly expect everyone in the row to take their seats in order, so I think that's just something we have to put up with.

I get very annoyed at latecomers too & shows going up late.

Much prefer the "latecomers will not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance" policy, which some theatres adopt and I think more should. My least favourite theatre for this is the Apollo, watching Wicked now is like being in a cinema with people wandering in & out throughout. I think the audience should have more respect for the performers - and indeed the rest of the audience.

#1583 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postfreckles, on 06 March 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Although having to keep standing up to let people into your row is annoying, you can hardly expect everyone in the row to take their seats in order, so I think that's just something we have to put up with.

I get very annoyed at latecomers too & shows going up late.

Much prefer the "latecomers will not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance" policy, which some theatres adopt and I think more should. My least favourite theatre for this is the Apollo, watching Wicked now is like being in a cinema with people wandering in & out throughout. I think the audience should have more respect for the performers - and indeed the rest of the audience.

Wicked is definitely the worst...apparently a suitable break seems to be the middle of a song, What is This Feeling specifically.
LONDON
[2004] Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010] Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011] Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013] The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#1584 lucyrara

lucyrara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

At Singin In The Rain, woman in front of us was on her phone throughout, realised later that she was updating her facebook status with a running commentary on the show! The light from her phone was so distracting.

At A Chorus Line, woman was sat eating Chinese style chicken wings, offering them round to everyone, even to John Partridge who was sat with the audience as part of his role as Zach. Just when it got to the part where Zach asks Cassie to stay on stage, woman asked John if he could sign her programme!!

#1585 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

What on earth were the ushers doing in those case? Or indeed the audience members around the culprits?

#1586 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

"At A Chorus Line, woman was sat eating Chinese style chicken wings, offering them round to everyone, even to John Partridge who was sat with the audience as part of his role as Zach. Just when it got to the part where Zach asks Cassie to stay on stage, woman asked John if he could sign her programme!!"

This has made a good beginning to my day. Funniest thing I've ever read about behaviour at a show.

#1587 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

View Postlucyrara, on 08 March 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

At Singin In The Rain, woman in front of us was on her phone throughout, realised later that she was updating her facebook status with a running commentary on the show! The light from her phone was so distracting.

Did you not ask her to turn it off? Or at least report it to a member of staff? People need to become more assertive towards this sort of bad behaviour. If someone is ruining your enjoyment of the show why just sit there and do nothing? I don't get it.

#1588 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostZippy, on 08 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Did you not ask her to turn it off? Or at least report it to a member of staff? People need to become more assertive towards this sort of bad behaviour. If someone is ruining your enjoyment of the show why just sit there and do nothing? I don't get it.
I agree, though I kind of do get why people don't assert themselves - it feels like too much trouble, they're inhibited about it, they don't want to start a fight, putting up with it is the lesser of two evils... I can understand all those things but people please do try to overcome them. The first time you politely ask someone to stop talking or switch their phone off, the easier it gets and if the offenders aren't approached they simply won't learn.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#1589 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yes, it's really not that difficult, just tap them on the shoulder and tell them you find it distracting. Some people have no cop on and need to be told. Some people think no one can see the glare, but if it's in stalls, most of the circle and balcony can see it too!
You can also go get a member of staff if the problem persists, that is why they are there and if they are doing their job properly will spot the offending user very quickly and address the issue.
You've paid a lot of money for your ticket, you deserve to see it with minimal distraction, do you really care what a stranger thinks of you?
A lot of theatres need to be much stricter too, a flash of the torch from a staff member works wonders for stopping phone use (I do some FOH work and occasionally have to do this!). :rolleyes:

#1590 ajkb7926

ajkb7926

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

That just reminded me of a trip to Chicago, ok I was late but the train broke down so was late despite leaving a few hours early, and we got told to wait till a suitable break which I had no problem with and they let us watch through a window in the door. I thought it was nice of them to offer it as I was expecting to not see it. That was my second trip and second time missing all that jazz!

Anyway the reason Zippy's post reminded me of this trip was that during the paparazzi scene when the flashes were going on stage I could see flashes going on above me (i was in the stalls) and an usher was stood next to me and we both starting looking into the circle and it kept going. Im guessing someone told them to stop in the end because it stopped after but it went on for a while. the poor cast must have been so distracted by it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users