#1591 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

I always take an empty can of coke into the theatre with me and if I feel someone is misbehaving I throw it at the their head. U would be surprised how effective this is

#1592 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 08 March 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I always take an empty can of coke into the theatre with me and if I feel someone is misbehaving I throw it at the their head. U would be surprised how effective this is

I've just spat my tea out at the very thought. Maybe we should act like Groundlings from Shakespeare's Globe. Instead of throwing rotten veg at the performers we could save it for the audience members. It would probably cause more disruption though

#1593 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 08 March 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

It'd be more effective if it wasn't empty, or if it was an axe.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1594 Mads1607

Mads1607

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

I was wondering if I could get people's opinions on something that happened to me at A Chorus Line last night? There were two fairly elderly men sitting in front of me and my friend in the stalls and one of them dropped some of his things behind his seat and I saw him struggling to pick them up so leaned over to get them for him, he thanked me and everything seemed fine. Me and my friend then went back to talking (neither of us have particularly loud voices, it was just normal chit-chat), as you do before theatre performances, and about 5 minutes later the man I helped turned round and said "Are you two going to shut up?". We didn't reply as it took us by surprise but obviously stopped talking! Perhaps he could hear us more clearly because the theatre wasn't particularly full at the point but there's no need to be that rude, surely? Anyway, we just put it at the back of our minds and decided to enjoy the show.

The show then started and every time we clapped or cheered along with the rest of the audience he turned around and glared at us. He blew his nose really loudly several times during quiet parts of the show, which was really distracting, so he wasn't even being quiet himself! The glaring continued until the end of the show when, after the final bows, he stood up, turned around to us and started full-on ranting at us, calling us stupid, rude attention-seekers who clearly didn't know how to behave in theatres and that our lives would amount to nothing/we'd go nowhere in life. Bearing in mind that we're two women in our early 20s who had never seen this man before in our lives! He didn't even stop when my friend was obviously close to tears, at which point I told him he had no right to judge us as he'd never met us before. We did cheer a few times and stood up to clap/cheer the cast during the final bows, but we were far from the only people in the theatre making any noise, and we'd both been to the show (and plenty of other West End shows) several times before and did nothing different to usual. I can understand it might not be to everyone's taste to have people cheering behind you but like I said, we were completely silent during the quiet parts and didn't cheer all that often during the applause.

However, this really unsettled and intimidated both of us - neither of us have experienced anything like this before - we weren't in the wrong, were we? Not quite sure what to make of it!

#1595 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Sounds to me like you and your friend were doing nothing wrong at all - why shouldn't you be talking before the show starts! And if you were cheering in the same places as the rest of the audience, there's nothing wrong with that.

Even if you had been noisy, his reaction sounds totally out of order.

Reminds me of a story earlier in the thread about elderly people pre-assuming that "young people" don't know how to behave in the theatre.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1596 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

You should have reported him to staff. Sounds like a mysogonistic weirdo to me.

#1597 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sounds like a ridiculously over-the-top reaction - he's the one who's rude and doesn't know how to behave in a theatre!!

#1598 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

See the suggestion above re an empty coke can.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#1599 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

When you are sitting in front of someone, you can hear quite clearly any conversation from behind you (I often 'listen in' when on a boring bus or train journey), but to complain about you talking BEFORE the show even started is completely out of order. As a senior myself, I actually like younger people being in the audience as they have so much more enthusiasm than most older people. Don't let this put you off, I am sure the cast would appreciate your obvious enjoyment of the show!

#1600 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

The guy was clearly out of order, sorry it put a dampner on what should have been a great night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users