2316 replies to this topic

#1611 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Oh dear! (But Eden was easy - it was all about Suez. What are they teaching in schools these days?)

#1612 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 17 March 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

This didn't happen to me but a  friend said there was a bloke behind her loudly pointing out to his companion  the name and party of each PM in The Audience until it got to Eden who he, apparently couldn't identify even after a whole scene :lol:
That reminds me of an incident that wasn't so much 'bad behaviour' - not sure what the category would be - at a performance of Danton's Death at the NT. When people started being guillotined, which was portrayed quite effectively, the man behind us leaned in to his companion and helpfully stage-whispered: "False heads" by way of explaining the apparent decapitations.

Similarly, at a NT platform talk given by Peter Hall he was discussing directing Shakespeare plays. Near me was a supercillious man with his glum teenage son who was clearly undergoing Shakespeare Induction and was having it in stereo, with Sir Peter's explanations receiving affirmation and back-up from Father. At one point Hall quoted the opening lines of Merchant of Venice to illustrate pentameter. The man, with eyes closed and a fixed smile, nodded his head in time with the lines, then as Hall said "Those are the opening lines of the Merchant of Venice" the man leaned in to his son and said "Yes, that is correct." I'm sure Hall would've been relieved.

Perhaps the above are Slightly Annoying or Plain Silly Behaviour at a Show.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#1613 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 17 March 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Near me was a supercillious man with his glum teenage son who was clearly undergoing Shakespeare Induction and was having it in stereo, with Sir Peter's explanations receiving affirmation and back-up from Father.

I wonder why people do things like that. Seems to me it's one of the surest ways to put your kid off Shakespeare for years.

#1614 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Why don't people get it that you don't talk during a performance??

#1615 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Agreed Catqc! I was at Jersey Boys last night, has been a while, but I really wanted to see the new cast & see Ben Jennings as Frankie, the group of ladies behind me chatted constantly about how it wasn't like the CD they had & had a huge bag of the most rustly sweets imagianable, which they opened through My Eyes Adored You, despite me turning and glaring at them several times.
But the couple next to me were the stars of the show, clearly had been drinking, they arrived with 4 glasses of champagne between the 2 of them, then returned after the interval with 4 more.  The guy was sitting next to me, and was huge, not overweight, but tall and big built, which he sprawled all over my personal space, continually chatted to his date all through the first act, at which point an older gentleman sitting in the front row, turned around and said "will you SHUT UP" really quite loudly, the response........ threats of violence....... they both got up and went to the bathroom in the first act, the lady getting up right at the final scene, tried to whisper that the interval was coming up and she may as well stay seated, but she just responded with "yes, ok" and climbed over me anyway.  As I was getting my bits and pieces together to go for a cig break during the interval, the guy took the opportunity to "have words" with the older gent infront, about how rude he was telling him to shut up during the show! :unsure:
Someone must have complained to an usher in the interval about the guy sitting next to me, as we had a HUGE security guard standing at the end of our aisle for the second act, didnt stop the couple chatting, mostly it would seem about getting to a restaurant for 1030pm, but not so much as the first act, there was also a lot of, "get a room" kissing......they left during the bows........ I would have told them to be quiet myself, but the big guy scared me, as soon as he crashed in his seat, he started asking me about my tattoo up my wrist & compairing it to the one on the side of his neck....... wowz! #rantover
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1616 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

O Tina, what a shocker.

#1617 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostLynette, on 17 March 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

O Tina, what a shocker.

Well I have to admit, it was one of my more extreme experiences, some people really need a good shake......
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1618 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

To anyone who saw People tonight, did a mobile go off in the theatre. The ringing was loud and clear in the cinema and I thought the microphones had picked it up
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#1619 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

Yes, I heard the mobile ringing too. Can't understand why people can't just switch the bloody things off for 2 hours!

#1620 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostZippy, on 22 March 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Yes, I heard the mobile ringing too. Can't understand why people can't just switch the bloody things off for 2 hours!
Somewhere on this board, maybe even in the bowels of this thread, a few years ago someone posted to say that he has children and therefore has the right to leave his phone on during a play as there might be an offspring-related emergency. He was attacked by some posters and defended by others. Maybe your recent offender at People was of the same view as this concerned parent.

While I understand that as a parent you are of course anxious to know asap of anything serious affecting them when you're not there, you can take that thinking too far. I'd suggest that if you're that terrified that when you're not around they might at any moment catch fire, fall down a mine shaft or be abducted by aliens, you probably shouldn't put yourself in the situation where your phone has to go off during a tense or tender moment during a play you're watching. Best to simply stay away from theatres until they are old enough to take their own responsibility for stepping in bear traps, throwing acid over themselves, etc. (That said, working at a university, I despair of the number of parents who still control every aspect of their adult childrens' lives - some of our students seem incapable of making a single move without Mummy and/or Daddy looming over everything).
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users