2316 replies to this topic

#1621 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

No one has the right to leave a phone on or use it during a performance if it's against the house policy. Give the kids another number to ring in the event of an emergency!

#1622 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

The extremely remote possibility that there might be an emergency relating to your children is no excuse for disturbing everyone when your best mate calls for a chat.

#1623 ajkb7926

ajkb7926

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

I know this is probably not the case but has anyone ever thought that they may have asked the management if they can keep it on for a specific reason?

I personally havent had this issue but a member of my family has had the issue and asked and they okay'd it. It wasnt the west end, it was the hexagon in Reading and during the Joseph tour if I remember rightly. However in those cases I agree they should be on vibrate. (Of which my family member did as it is always on vibrate)

#1624 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

I've been in situations where I was expecting family emergencies to happen and needed to be contactable. So I didn't go to the theatre.

Vibrating phones (especially iPhones) are still quite loud and can interfere with sound equipment
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1625 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

One of my favourite things about going to the theatre is getting away from my little darlings for a few hours. What could happen to them in 2 hours that I could do anything about anyway?

I'm a bit more sympathetic to phone offenders than most here however. It's never happened to me, but there but for the grace of God... As long as people turn it off as soon as they here it, I don't hate them.

#1626 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

I always put my phone on silent if seeing a play, but just leave it on vibrate at big musicals.  In a small venue the buzzing could be as annoying as a ring tone, but not at most large shows.  I actually find the stupid "this show is set in the 1960's... before the invention of mobile phones" (hohoho so funny!) announcements just as annoying as a ringing phone.

#1627 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 22 March 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

I always put my phone on silent if seeing a play, but just leave it on vibrate at big musicals.  In a small venue the buzzing could be as annoying as a ring tone, but not at most large shows.  I actually find the stupid "this show is set in the 1960's... before the invention of mobile phones" (hohoho so funny!) announcements just as annoying as a ringing phone.
  So if your phone rings when you're at the theatre, what do you do?

#1628 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Well it would only vibrate, which most of the time no one would notice, but it's easy to stop with one push of a button without even taking it out of my pocket.  Really no big deal.

#1629 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostSteve10086, on 22 March 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Well it would only vibrate, which most of the time no one would notice, but it's easy to stop with one push of a button without even taking it out of my pocket.  Really no big deal.
  So if you're not going to answer it, why not switch it off and check it at the interval? :blink:

#1630 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostAnnieInTheStalls, on 22 March 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

One of my favourite things about going to the theatre is getting away from my little darlings for a few hours. What could happen to them in 2 hours that I could do anything about anyway?

That "what could happen ... that I could do anything about" is the reason why I don't think it's acceptable to keep a phone switched on. Unless someone has learnt how to teleport they can't get home without a considerable delay, so they need to have left their children in the hands of someone who can handle the responsibility of looking after them and who is capable of dealing with any crisis that might come up. If they've left their children with someone they don't trust to take care of them, such that they have to be contactable at every moment, then it does rather suggest that those children should be taken away and placed with better parents. Having a mobile phone is not a get-out clause for using the cheapest babysitter available.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users