#1631 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 23 March 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

So if you're not going to answer it, why not switch it off and check it at the interval? :blink:
To be fair Steve, Armadillo dangled some nice bait which you took before he has reeled you in and placed you in the keep net

#1632 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 23 March 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

To be fair Steve, Armadillo dangled some nice bait which you took before he has reeled you in and placed you in the keep net

It's only what I was expecting!  If it buzzes during Act One I'll look at the phone in the interval, if it doesn't then I don't have to bother.

It's really no big deal.  If anyone at any theatre has ever heard my phone buzz they could have the phone!  It just doesn't make the kind of noise people can hear over a West End musical.  It's a phone, not a pneumatic drill!

#1633 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Since you can check it in the interval without having it on during the first act, why take the risk of disturbing people near you?

#1634 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

What do these people do if they're on the tube and have no signal?

#1635 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostCatqc, on 23 March 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Since you can check it in the interval without having it on during the first act, why take the risk of disturbing people near you?

Because there is no risk.  Unless someone had their head in my lap they are not going to hear it, and I don't go to that kind of theatre... often.

#1636 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I found myself seated next to a young Chinese lady at The Captain of Kopenick, and she checked her phone about 10 minutes into the performance.  Upon the THIRD viewing - about 15 minutes later - I took the opportunity to peer over her shoulder and attempt to read the messages (if any).  This led to her checking it away from my view.  She managed SEVEN viewings during the first Act.  At the Interval she and her friend departed, which fits in with my theory that much phone checking is a symptom of some kind of nervous disorder and /or the phone checker is bored with whatever they are watching or not doing at the time.!

#1637 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

OK, fair enough, I have been named and shamed :-(

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all those good theatregoing people I have (never) disturbed, and would like to lay out my plans for the future.

Before attending any theatrical productions I will place my phone on 'silent' mode.  I will then fully turn it off, remove the SIM card, and place the phone in a left luggage locker at Victoria Station.

I shall follow a similar rigorous procedure with my watch, because although its ticking has never been known to disturb anyone yet either, the risk is just too great.  

My sincere hope is that this is seen as a victory for the common man.

Don't have nightmares, do sleep well.

#1638 chauffeurs

chauffeurs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Transport

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

We had a similar incident were a gentleman had gone to sleep, and he was snoring really loud I had to wake him up, and he started to swear at me lucky I was with a few off duty policemen and he soon got the message.

#1639 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Doesn't apply to anyone reading this thread but when you purchase a ticket it doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want to when you arrive. You agree to obey the house's policies whether that's switching off phones (problem with vibrate is that too many people's instant reaction is that they must check it there and then, silent/flight mode/off is better for everyone!), not filming or taking photos, for some venues not bringing alcohol into the auditorium etc. If someone is breaching house policies and it is disturbing your enjoyment of the show - a show you have paid good money for to enjoy - then it's time to get a member of staff (who can get the manager down if necessary) involved rather than sitting through it and getting more frustrated and angry, especially if you don't feel comfortable saying it to the offender yourself - understandable given the level of aggression that some people have experienced by doing so.

#1640 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Steve10086 - "unless someone had their head in my lap" made me laugh!! Whatever, would someone be doing with their head in your lap??? LOL Thanks for brightening up a cold, miserable Sat afternoon!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users