2316 replies to this topic

#1661 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

At 'This House' on Wednesday evening a phone started ringing in one of the climatic scenes. After it rang for a long time it stopped and the person was heard answering it. Suffice to say there was some highly irate shhing going on in the Olivier stalls.

Also phone related that night, a man about 2 rows in front of us was texting for the first 10 minutes solidly. Luckily the man next to us (on the end of the row) took it upon himself to go and tell off the offender during the next scene change. The man complied without argument thankfully.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1662 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 29 March 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

At 'This House' on Wednesday evening a phone started ringing in one of the climatic scenes. After it rang for a long time it stopped and the person was heard answering it. Suffice to say there was some highly irate shhing going on in the Olivier stalls.

Also phone related that night, a man about 2 rows in front of us was texting for the first 10 minutes solidly. Luckily the man next to us (on the end of the row) took it upon himself to go and tell off the offender during the next scene change. The man complied without argument thankfully.

Well done to that man next to you, more of this will help put an end to this anti social behaviour.

#1663 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Indeed! and shows sometimes just a polite word is enough. As this thread demonstrates not often enough though.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1664 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Why oh why do people not turn their phones off? If it's life or death, they shouldn't be in the theatre surely? We went to see Lion King and a woman sitting four seats from me had her phone ring. She then fiddled about for ages, taking it out of her back before she rejected the call, but STILL didn't switch it off. There was quite a lot of tutting etc but it didn't seem to bother her and in the second half, I saw her checking her text messages. Do they not realise, everyone nearby is disturbed by the light?

#1665 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostJME52K, on 29 March 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Do they not realise, everyone nearby is disturbed by the light?

A lot of them don't actually. You're dealing with people who are addicted to their phones and the thought of actually switching it off for an hour is like telling them you're switching off their life support machine. What if someone tweets them and they don't reply immediately? What if they can't update their Facebook? Perhaps people will
think they're dead?!
Also a lot of theatres are very lax in enforcing policies about phones so some people interpret that as it not being an issue. Again, nothing like a quick flash from the torch for nipping it in the bud! ;)

#1666 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

This has nothing to do with bad behaviour  but I when I saw American Idiot at the Mayflower I was sitting in the Dress Circle. During the interval I walked around the place because it was years and years since I sat up there.

I looked down at the stalls and it suddenly occurred to me how the advances of technology could be summed up by the hundreds of lights from people's phones/tablets beaming back up at me
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#1667 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

I have a lot of respect for people who are polite and end bad behaviour early.  At Gross und Klein, someone in the row in front of me was on their phone and the woman next to me, the second the lights started to go down, leant forwards and asked very politely if they'd turn it off (or they were talking, or rustling, I forget the specifics).  They did nothing distracting throughout and the lady next to me caused no-one any offense and actually put me in very good spirits for a few days - evidently it doesn't take much.  I remember that moment more fondly than about half of that play.

View PostDavid J, on 29 March 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

I looked down at the stalls and it suddenly occurred to me how the advances of technology could be summed up by the hundreds of lights from people's phones/tablets beaming back up at me

View PostZippy, on 29 March 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

You're dealing with people who are addicted to their phones and the thought of actually switching it off for an hour is like telling them you're switching off their life support machine.

Sometimes life depresses me so.  I don't get why people don't turn them off for their own selfish sake.  If my phone went off it'd annoy me, let alone anyone else in the theatre.  To mention it again, the Barbican's a bugbear, given that I'm normally quite high and as the lights go down the stalls are lit like a Christmas tree.  As much as anything, can't people turn their phones off five minutes before the show, or do people genuinely need to be texting up until the last minute?  Am I just really unpopular or rude (it so don't answer)?  And what good is knowing you've got a text/call/tweet when you can't (or shouldn't) answer it?

#1668 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

In fact, I forgot to post this at the time, but at All That Fall at Jermyn Street, the actors took to the stage, the lights went down and this soundscape of animal sounds and an ominous hum, almost musical, started.  Everyone leant forwards, expectantly, as Dame Eileen Atkins stood up.  “I’m sorry, I’m going to have to stop, can anyone else hear that sound?” she said, as the lights went up again and everyone realised that almost musical ominous hum wasn’t the play.  Everyone mustered together, guessing radio interference or a sound from upstairs or whatever, and Eileen Atkins climbed over the rail and proved herself nimble for anyone, let alone someone aged 78.  It turned out to be someone in the front row that hadn’t turned the music on their phone off and placed their bag under the stage.  Leaving your phone on is one thing, but leaving music on and halting the show…

#1669 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Wow that is really awful - and doesn't the person it happens to get embarrassed? That alone would prevent me leaving me phone off even if i somehow didnt realise that it is a courtesy not to disturb other peoples (and my own) enjoyment of the show.

#1670 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I remember last time i went to Wicked with my boyfriend, during the flying part in Defying Gravity, a whole family started moving chairs at talking loudly in front of me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users