2323 replies to this topic

#1671 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Phone going off more or less a given now regardless of warnings.

#1672 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Zippy, on 29 March 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

A lot of them don't actually. You're dealing with people who are addicted to their phones and the thought of actually switching it off for an hour is like telling them you're switching off their life support machine. What if someone tweets them and they don't reply immediately? What if they can't update their Facebook? Perhaps people will
think they're dead?!
Also a lot of theatres are very lax in enforcing policies about phones so some people interpret that as it not being an issue. Again, nothing like a quick flash from the torch for nipping it in the bud! ;)

A longstanding member here defended posting during a show on the grounds that it was boring and nobody would mind being disturbed :o

#1673 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

armadillo, on 30 March 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

A longstanding member here defended posting during a show on the grounds that it was boring and nobody would mind being disturbed :o

If it's boring you get up and leave. Did this person ask everyone around them if they didn't find his actions disturbing? Didn't think so! Only an idiot would say and do something like that! :rolleyes:

#1674 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

I went to see War Horse with my eldest son last night. My son (18) unlike his younger siblings rarely attends the theatre as he thin ks people dont know how to behave.  Sadly I think seeing War Horse Sat night has reinforced his view.  Three women from I assume Newcastle/Sunderland area were there for birthday celebration (as one proclaimed very loudly before the start of the show, she was "65 plus VAT!!).  About 5 mins from start one shouted "It's my friends birthday" then 2 of them started to sing Happy Birthday to her.  I sat quietly thinking things would settle; how wrong was I!
All through the show there was a running commentary, one of them had clearly seen the film and kept tell the others what would happen next (although some of it didnt happen as the film is different from the book and the play), they then kept discussing everything whiulst also being unable to keep still.  I'm embarrassed to say I suffered through the first act, which I know isnt great and I surprised myself as I usually try to nip these things in the bud before they really rile me. I'd had an awful afternoon just getting us to London so I was probably not in the mood to say anything.
During the interval they went off & my son said he was finding them extremely distracting. I told him  I was going to see how the second act went & if they continued. Well what a shocker.....they carried one their banal conversations. About 5 mins in I turned around looked at one of them & gave a loud "Ssshhhh" putting my fingers to my lips whilst staring at them.  Their silence lasted 2-4 mins.  I looked around again, but they just ignored me.  One of them kept asking the others what was being said when the actors were talking German or French, from what I could gather none of them spoke the language except one knew that "je suis" meant "I am" which she repeated with alarming regularity whilst chuckling.  
I'd never seen War Horse before, but I'd read the book numerous times and also seen the film, this was a real treat for me as I love this era and it's a play that had me transfixed from start to finish, however, it will be forever marred by these silly inane women. I'd decided at the end I was going to vent my spleen at them, but they knew they'd upset me and scuttled off during the final applause.  I'd love to see it again but the initial surprises have now gone :o(

#1675 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Oh and also during the show the cast all sing a WWI song (Its a Long Way to Tipperary, I think) and the bloody women all started singing along. They missed the poignant moments and stopped me enjoying any reflective moments too. My son has said he's not going to the theatre again either

#1676 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Row B in the Coliseum is sold as restricted view from the box office only, so I assume people buying the very cheap tickets in that row understand that there will be a railing and heads from row A obstructing their view. Not the couple that sat there tonight for Don Quixote. The ballet starts, and they were leaning forward, practically hanging off their seats. Nice elderly gent behind them asks them to sit back. The guy leans back but the girl squeals loudly 'but I can't see' (not sure what she thought very restricted view meant) and then ignores him. The elderly gent asks her again, so she gets into a huff, gets up and proceeds to sit down in the aisle.

Queue usher coming down asking her to sit in her seat, and girl again complaining loudly that she can't see enough. The usher offers her a seat further at the back. Oh no, not good enough for missy. Her derrière is plunked in the aisle and she has no plan to move, never mind that the performance has started and some of us were planning to watch ballet instead of sulky girls. She ignores the usher and stays put.

At this point usher number 1 gives up and goes for back-up in the shape of a burly no-nonsense usher. Usher number 2 manages to make it clear to her that her choices consist of leaving the theatre or sitting down in the super cheap seat she paid for without disturbing other audience members and the girl finally deigns to return to her seat.

Thankfully they managed to resolve that before any solos started and I actually got to see the stage instead of ushers. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as entitled, greedy and idiotic as that girl. They moved after the first interval, and good riddance.

#1677 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

That's so sad that this sort of behaviour by a minority of mindless fools has put your son off theatre, craftymiss. Such a shame that it's now considered lucky to be able to attend a show where there isn't anyone causing some sort of disruption. Spare a thought for theatre staff who have to deal with these muppets everyday who are often abusive and threatening and who make the job so much harder to do! :(

#1678 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Zippy, on 01 April 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

That's so sad that this sort of behaviour by a minority of mindless fools has put your son off theatre, craftymiss. Such a shame that it's now considered lucky to be able to attend a show where there isn't anyone causing some sort of disruption. Spare a thought for theatre staff who have to deal with these muppets everyday who are often abusive and threatening and who make the job so much harder to do! :(

But they often don't! I do wish they would & think it should be the responsibility of the FOH staff to encourage an orderly audience. Too often, it is left to another member of the audience to have a confrontation, which can go either way. In some theatres the staff 'patrol' though their main focus seems to be spotting cameras. I think they should ask people to be quiet more, & ask people to leave if they are disrupting the show for those around them.

#1679 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Well I do some FOH and a lot of my time is spent telling people to switch off phones and cameras. I've had to tell people to switch off IPADS!! I've had people actually switch on an ipad and hold it up to film! Unbelievable. And I have been verbally abused (and have had to get the manager down a few times) by a few people who took offence at being asked politely to switch off phones and cameras. And if necessary I will give them a quick flash of the torch if they're using these devices. Sometimes I even have to walk up to the offender in the middle of a row if they ignore my warnings!
However, thankfully the vast majority of customers are very nice and respectful to us and the actors and their fellow audience members, just the idiots stand out!

#1680 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Freckles, interesting what you say about patrolling. I find it is rare. I bow to your superior knowledge zippy, but I find that the staff at the RSC are on to the camera thing like grease lightening but not at other venues and that even at the ROH staff don't patrol anymore to stop cameras before a show. ( they should sell postcards in the foyer! ) It's all flickerty flash.

The staff in most places seem to stand at the entrance to the seating and look at tickets, tearing off if necessary and sometimes they are there in twos. Why does it need two people ? Most, entrances can be managed by one person. At The Old Vic there are sometimes three. But no one then goes up and down the sides to remind people to turn off phones. Just a quiet stroll and a few glares would help..in the nicest possible way. It is as if they are actually avoiding any contact with the punters.

Just saying

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users