2316 replies to this topic

#1681 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

There's often no staff upstairs - at the Donmar and the Cottesloe, if you haven't consulted the seating plan beforehand, it can be pretty hard to find your seat. Same at the Old Vic.

#1682 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Any parent concerned over children can be concerned with phone in hand and on vibrate, surely? Phones annoy the life out of me at the theatre - god help the day I think it's on silent and its not though...
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#1683 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

It reminds me of going to see something (Hamlet, I think) at the Sheffield Crucible with my old Drama class. A girl had her phone on and was told by the teacher to turn it off; the girl replied that she need to keep it on because she might receive an important phone call (I'm not sure of the exact circumstances). The teacher told her "If the phone call is that important, you don't go to the theatre.".

People forget that they're not the only person in the audience. They do not matter above everyone else and if the phone call is life or death, stay at home.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#1684 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

At Book of Mormon last Saturday, I was amazed at the number of people (in the circle at least) who got up to go to the (I guess) loo. You have (not v cheap) tickets to the most popular and sought after show in London, yet you quite happily get up- disturbing your whole row, and that behind, I should add - and leave for 5 mins, before coming back in- disturbing everyone again.. If someone does leave, they should not be allowed in 'til the interval, or at least made to watch from the back.

#1685 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm not desperately worried about people going to the loo - it's annoying but sometimes you just have too. But I remember being  at a fairly sparsely attended midweek matinee at the Open Air where quite a few people disappeared (not that disturbing as the seating space is generous) but all insisted on returning to their own seats when they came back despite the ushers trying to point them to vacant aisle seats which they could have slipped into for 10 minutes.

#1686 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 31 March 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Oh and also during the show the cast all sing a WWI song (Its a Long Way to Tipperary, I think) and the bloody women all started singing along. They missed the poignant moments and stopped me enjoying any reflective moments too. My son has said he's not going to the theatre again either

Taser.

#1687 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Fags!!.  
That's where they go.  
Out onto the pavement for a drag!!!!

#1688 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Tracking back through this thread, I suddenly remembered some bad behaviour that I was responsible for.   Some friends & I went to see Mamma Mia & about 10 minutes in I could hear what sounded like someones ringtone singing away (you get all sorts these days, mine is currently a friend of mine singing)..... it was really bugging me & sounded like it was coming from the couple in front of me, who were stoically ignoring it, after several despairing glances at my friends, I realised it was my Mp3 player singing away to itself, I must have knocked it on when I put my bag down...... cue my deep embarrassment & the amusement of my friends
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1689 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

The mp3 player thing may have happened to me... when I was working on a show... Awkward. Ah well, we are all human.

#1690 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

I've done it too. Was in Richmond, can't remember what I was watching. Dandy Dick, maybe? ANYWAY, I had my iPod in my coat and my coat between my feet. I shifted in my seat and kicked it, switching it on. I was listening to the Patti LuPone recording of Gypsy at the time. I was sitting there thinking "some w***er has left their iPod on, how rude" when I heard "how do you like them egg rolls, Mr Goldstone?"

Cue frantic scrambling into coat pocket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users