2320 replies to this topic

#1691 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I somehow seem to attract annoying German audiences (no, I'm not talking about myself ;-) ).

This Tuesday at Wicked, a German family sat behind me in row B and shortly after the show started, the father felt the sudden urge to translate the show along for his daughters. Luckily, he stopped after my second or third "Ssshh!".

Am I overreacting regarding other people's talking during a show? I mean I payed for seeing and hearing the cast on the stage and not some random audience members.

When I was at that age and just finished my first year of learning English at school, my parents took me to a trip to London (must have been somewhere in the mid-nineties), and we also watched Cats and Phantom. Even though I did not understand much of what was going on, I listened to the music and made my own thoughts of what I saw  on stage. My parents then told me at the interval and later on the way back to our hotel what I missed or misunderstood. I wouldn't have dared asking my parents during the show.
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#1692 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I went to Wicked last night and there was an Essex family near me who had a child who wouldnt shut up, especially when there was a big musical number, Everyone surrounding stared at them continuously. They then continued to have long converstations throughout Act 1. They got spoken to in the Interval and left because they felt "offended".

#1693 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostJohn_Rebus, on 04 April 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Am I overreacting regarding other people's talking during a show?
No you're not. And we must always tackle it. I understand people's reticence about doing this, it can feel very difficult for some to build up to it - as can be seen in many of the posts in this thread where it's apparent the poster didn't do anything, despite how annoying (or even outright rude) the 'offender' was being in some of the incidents described. But people - we really have to get past this barrier. If those who behave inappropriately in theatres are never picked up on it, they won't stop. Okay, some won't stop anyway even if they are asked to. But many will respond contritely or come to realise they are in the wrong if picked up more than once.

If it happens to me (people talking), to allow for the possibility it's isolated and they'll settle down, I wait until they've kept talking continuously for 2 or 3 minutes or there's been at least 3 separate instances of audible conversation. Then I'll politely ask them to be quiet, usually with a smile and a thumbs-up if they immediately pipe down, to minimise it feeling confrontational. If they are rude in their response I'll insult them back and leave it. They might be a lost cause but even then some go quiet after that.

Ditto phone use during the show. One of the more extreme things I've had to do was shake a man's arm when he persisted in taking pics of a nude female performer (or trying to, at least).

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 04 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

I went to Wicked last night and there was an Essex family near me who had a child who wouldnt shut up

How do you know they were from Essex?!

Pity people just stared at them - the great British stare, has this ever worked? - but good that they were then confronted at the interval at least, and how amusing they took offence at this, brandished their silver-topped cane, swept their cape and left.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#1694 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

They had the Essex accent, we could all tell, trust me!! I couldnt believe it, and when Elphaba flies, i was thinking "they better shut up for this bit, its the big bit of the show" Thankfully it was the one bit they shut up during!!

#1695 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

My friends encountered an extremely rude woman & child at Les Mis matinee on Wed. She was singing loudly from the get go, despite my friend's son & other people around this woman asking her to be quiet she got louder & abusive. Eventually members of staff man/woman handled her out of the auditorium. I was in DC so missed all this, but between matinee of Les Mis and evening performance of Jersey Boys we went to Leicester Sq McDonald's and the same woman was in there shouting her mouth off!

#1696 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have been very lucky with well behaved audiences recently thank goodness as I am not good at saying anything and usually just suffer in silence. I always think that people who behave in an inconsiderate way, by definition, are not going to take any notice anyway and the resulting exchange is going to be even more disruptive than the initial problem.

#1697 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

I have been very lucky in that I haven't experienced much bad behaviour in theatres, but when I have... Once, at the RSC Theatre in Stratford, during a matinée performance of Richard III  (Henry Goodman was playing the king), a boy of about 13 started, halfway through the show, to... well... to do something people say leads to baldness, stunted growth and hairy hands. Oddly he was by himself. I think he was part of a group of older American students who were occupying the front row and just decided to move away from them and take a seat that happened to be free in front of me, right beside a lady who was with her own little boy. At the interval she spoke quietly but firmly to him who left the theatre or moved somewhere else.

I thought the mom handled the situation very well, with every consideration to the fact that she was dealing with a boy not much older than her own son. I suppose it's easier dealing with disruptive kids than with grown-ups, who often get angry making what was bad even worse.

#1698 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Wonder if Henry Goodnan was flattered?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1699 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well, it does take fandom to a whole new level.

#1700 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostCarlos, on 06 April 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

a boy of about 13 started, halfway through the show, to... well... to do something people say leads to baldness, stunted growth and hairy hands. Oddly he was by himself.

Your autocorrect is broken. It put "oddly" where you typed "more understandably than anything else in human history".
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users