2326 replies to this topic

#1701 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

loosely connected, but I was at the matinee of Peter and Alice today and a rather famous actress was int he audience, enjoying the play, and weeping to jduge from the state of the mascara, but no sooner had the lights come up that a rather large gentleman was scambling across the seats to get her autograph, just as she was compsoing herself and talking to friends. There's a time and a place, and this was neither.

#1702 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I have been very lucky with well behaved audiences recently thank goodness as I am not good at saying anything and usually just suffer in silence. I always think that people who behave in an inconsiderate way, by definition, are not going to take any notice anyway and the resulting exchange is going to be even more disruptive than the initial problem.

Not always the case. I tend to politley ask people to be quiet and they usually pipe down. Even with the worse ones, they need to be repeatedly told. It shouldn't go unchallenged.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#1703 shelly

shelly

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Nightmare in the Upper Circle at Once this afternoon.  Several people were eating crisps....and I was sat beside three very young children who were clearly bored out of their brains and alternated between chewing on very noisy sweets and whispering to each other.  When I (politely) told them to keep quiet, I got filthy looks from them. The adult with them lacklustrely told them to stop a couple of times, but with no effect.

#1704 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Just to add my two pence worth this week: at Old Times last night, in my row of the stalls,two young women opened a bottle with that unmistakeable click and proceeded to pour themselves drinks into glasses. The whole play is pretty quiet and  intense so it was a bit crass to say the least.

#1705 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

I have just came back from the worst night at the theatre I've ever had. So, we go to the theatre a fair bit and I don't think I've ever seen anything in my life where I haven't wanted to turn around and scream at someone in the audience. Tonight though...

We went to see the Mouse Trap UK tour in Aylesbury. The row in front of us, and about 10 seats to the right were a couple who, before the show even started, we knew were going to be a problem. The man was drinking beer and yelling to other people 5 and 6 seats away "these are pretty good seats aren't they!!!". They came with 2 bags of chocolates they bought in the foyer. Did they open them in advance for the show to start? ooooh no. Instead, they wait until the moment the curtain rises and begin yanking the bags apart. Other than that, they were pretty good for the first act.

However, the second act... it started off as the first, they went back out and bought a couple of bags of chocolates (including Crunchie branded ones - you can imagine the noise they made as the lady munched her way through the bag :-/!). Again, they wait until the moment the curtain rises before tucking in. Obviously the man hated the show, as he was by far more interested in eating throughout. They kept putting the bag of chocolates on the floor, so every time they wanted one, they'd bend over and dig around in the bag creating an awful noise. They were shushed, but they were completely oblivious! This went on for most of the 2nd act. I wanted to get up and tell someone, but I was planked right in the middle of the row, so I kept hoping it would get better.

I happened to be staring at them in the hope they'd turn around and noticed they were annoying people. The man then burps...super loud. Doesn't cover his mouth and doesn't even try to hide it. He then throws his head back over the seat behind him and does a big, dramatic yawn...  By this time, he was shushed several times but it made no difference.  

I have never been more frustrated or annoyed in the theatre in my life. You know when you get so angry you can feel it in your chest? Ugh.

Thing is, they were just oblivious! Never even realised what they were doing....

Why the HELL do theatres even sell sweets like this?!?!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#1706 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

It was interesting seeing behaviour on Broadway.

At the Met, many people left during the bows. Thought this was a bit disrespectful.

At Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, a German couple behind me shared a few seemingly plot based words every now and then. I let them do it, as they were hushed, and I was having enough trouble understanding the story in English (with the Southern drawl accents) so doing it as a 2nd language doesn't bare thinking about.

Otherwise the shows were the same as UK, occasional talking kids, but nothing too bad. Though a group of 6 did arrive 40 minutes late to Wicked to sit next to me, quite annoying.

#1707 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostLynette, on 07 April 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Just to add my two pence worth this week: at Old Times last night, in my row of the stalls,two young women opened a bottle with that unmistakeable click and proceeded to pour themselves drinks into glasses. The whole play is pretty quiet and  intense so it was a bit crass to say the least.

A while ago at the Almeida I was surrounded by a family who during the show produced a bottle of wine, uncorked it, poured out and distributed glasses among themselves.

View PostFireFingers, on 08 April 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

At the Met, many people left during the bows. Thought this was a bit disrespectful.

I've heard people say this before but I don't think it's disrespectful. Some might do it because they're on tight timings for transport etc.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#1708 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

My main problem with Broadway was that late audience members were admitted into the their seats whilst the play was in progress and not during a suitable break, was really annoying!

#1709 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 09 April 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

A while ago at the Almeida I was surrounded by a family who during the show produced a bottle of wine, uncorked it, poured out and distributed glasses among themselves.

I've heard people say this before but I don't think it's disrespectful. Some might do it because they're on tight timings for transport etc.

That happened to me at The Phantom at Her Majesty's a year or so ago. They even passed their smelly red wine and sweets over a couple next to them (who were nothing to do with their group) to their friends/family. Dreadful.
Clearly some people need a guide to theatre etiquette, maybe the shows should print one out & give it to people as they walk in OR project a list onto the safety question before curtain up. Not that it would help those that turn up late & still get let in!!

#1710 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Was at Singin In The Rain on Thursday - a girl about 3 rows in front of me was taking photos on her phone throughout the show - I reckon she got at least 30 without an usher saying a word.  
Also, near the end of the show, with Louise Bowden stood literally right next to them, a couple decided they'd leave at that point, making quite a noise as they left their seats, and right in front of Louise, which I thought was quite rude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users