• Please log in to reply
2323 replies to this topic

#1711 Pippin

Pippin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

At Phantom the other week a chap,came in about 15mins late, and reeking of cigarettes. And then after the interval arrived about 20mins later into act 2, smelling even more of cigarettes. If we could crack the problem with late arrivals, maybe next time have some form of fumigation cupboard for the smokers to go into until they lose that smell which, in the confined space of a theatre makes one want to hurl.

#1712 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postgreeny11, on 09 April 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Was at Singin In The Rain on Thursday - a girl about 3 rows in front of me was taking photos on her phone throughout the show - I reckon she got at least 30 without an usher saying a word.  
Also, near the end of the show, with Louise Bowden stood literally right next to them, a couple decided they'd leave at that point, making quite a noise as they left their seats, and right in front of Louise, which I thought was quite rude.

In an interview with Adam Cooper he said they once targeted a woman who had been on her phone when they were splashing the water around. Quite a good idea IMO :)

#1713 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostCatqc, on 10 April 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

In an interview with Adam Cooper he said they once targeted a woman who had been on her phone when they were splashing the water around. Quite a good idea IMO :)

Oh come on, that's just unprofessional, and a step too far.

I'm kidding, I actually like that.

Gambon has sometimes told a story of a West End play he was in with Greta Scacchi, when someone on the front row was doing an oil painting of Scacchi! In his role Gambon had to throw a samovar of water across the room. He was so annoyed by this man doing a paiting that he aimed the water so the guy and the painting got soaked. He didn't reappear after the interval.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#1714 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 10 April 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Oh come on, that's just unprofessional, and a step too far.

I'm kidding, I actually like that.

Gambon has sometimes told a story of a West End play he was in with Greta Scacchi, when someone on the front row was doing an oil painting of Scacchi! In his role Gambon had to throw a samovar of water across the room. He was so annoyed by this man doing a paiting that he aimed the water so the guy and the painting got soaked. He didn't reappear after the interval.

I'm more amazed they'd managed to go through the effort of bringing im the various paints into the theatre,

#1715 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostJon, on 10 April 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

I'm more amazed they'd managed to go through the effort of bringing im the various paints into the theatre,

...and to be painting in the dark!

#1716 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Very bad at Macbeth last night.

During the banquet scene two ladies in the front row stage seats (there were three of them overall and I had thought they might be a problem as they were clearly a bit drunk when they arrived) decided to have a loud conversation - I think about what was going on in the play. Now they might have got away with just a few shh's if they had been further back but in the front row only a metre away from the cast they got quite a few dirty looks particularly from Mcavoy.

At the interval one of them was very late back and it seemed like she might have had a row with the girl that shushed her and then she turned round to my mate and I and demanded to know if we had asked her to be quiet at which point the manager came over and politely explained to them there had been complaints from the cast and could they be quiet at which point one of them had the cheek to suggest it might have been people in the other half of the front row!

They did keep quiet during the second act, maybe because Mcavoy growled shut it at them in his exit from his first scene though I think one of them may have fallen asleep and during the curtain calls there were a few more comments from Mcavoy as he came on and off and the rest of the cast gave them incredulous looks.

#1717 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

This last post is v interesting. I've got a bit of a theory that sometimes people can't reconcile their behaviour required at theatre - quiet etc- with a sense of being on display yourself, especially in the smaller more intimate venues. So they get embarrassed and then act in a worse way, confounding whatever they had done in the first place, talk ot whatever. Or they were just drunk middle aged bags...

#1718 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I was very nearly guilty of bad behaviour myself last night! At the theatre the orchestra was behind the stage, and a white screen was down at the back of the stage for projections so the orchestra couldn't be seen. During the interval someone must have turned a light on in the orchestra pit, and it was never turned off, so at the start of act 2, we had a blank screen, with a massive dancing conductor on it! This was during a big emotional scene at the start of act 2 and I was crying with laughter, fortunately I think I managed to keep it silent, but I did giggle once or twice as throughout the act even once there were projections up on the screen, every now and then you would see the conductors arms flailing about! I almost felt bad, but it was hilarious!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1719 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Quentin Letts reads this thread: mentions the Trafalgar studios drunken lady debacle in Daily Mail. Go Quentin, thanks for the acknowledgement but get your own stories.

#1720 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Some classics at 'Peter and Alice' on Monday. First I spotted two people eating a McFlurry in the circle (in fairness not disturbing anyone but still illustrates what is 'acceptable' at the theatre) Then over the course of a relatively short play 3 mobile phones went off. Including one at the climax (which is virtually silent) therefore somewhat ruining the atmosphere.

Then at 'Once' on Tuesday I had a few people I'd cheerfully hit over the head with my programme (had a bought one they're £6 at Once!) the lady in front decided she couldn't see properly and spent the whole of the first act jiggling up and down in her seat (with her very large hair) sighing and yawning pointedly. While also looking around constantly for somewhere to move to. The gentleman to my left on the other hand felt the need to tell his partner where to look on stage constantly and ask her very loudly if she was enjoying it about 10 minutes in. Her response however was quite brilliant "Well it's quite different isn't it"
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users