2325 replies to this topic

#1731 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Phone went off twice with weird verbal signal in Donmar last night. Just missed the climactic speech. They don't do a warning there , just tell people as they give in their tix. Thsi is not enough. Thye must remind people more forcibly. Shame.

#1732 livetheatreco

livetheatreco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Musicals, Plays. Running www.livetheatre.co

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostLynette, on 21 April 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Phone went off twice with weird verbal signal in Donmar last night. Just missed the climactic speech. They don't do a warning there , just tell people as they give in their tix. Thsi is not enough. Thye must remind people more forcibly. Shame.

Do people still need to be told to turn their phones off? Surely it's a given when going into a theatre/cinema? Maybe the answer is to be stricter with people who flout the rules? Or maybe theatres should look into reception restricting technology so phones can't go off even if they are on?
Love going to the theatre, London has so much to offer! Launched www.livetheatre.co in December 2012.

#1733 Lou105

Lou105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

I think there's  a real problem with phones being turned back on at the interval and then people forgetting or being caught out by the sudden start of the second half. Most of the phones noises I notice seem to be after the interval..

#1734 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

View Postlivetheatreco, on 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Do people still need to be told to turn their phones off? Surely it's a given when going into a theatre/cinema? Maybe the answer is to be stricter with people who flout the rules? Or maybe theatres should look into reception restricting technology so phones can't go off even if they are on?
Phone jamming is illegal in this country.

#1735 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I thought all the 'arty' types were being put into their own special sub category by the BBC?

And yes, personally I'd agree to no food in the theatre at all...though spending Christmases picking up after darling children in the theatre as a usher may have heavily influenced my views on that!!
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1736 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

It amazes me when I see people carefully putting their empty glasses etc on the floor of the aisle when leaving the theatre, rather than carrying them 20 feet to the nearest bin
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1737 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

At Matilda on Friday I had very young children in front and behind me, all talking constantly. In the middle of 'Quiet' the ones behind me decided it was time to open whatever food they had and did so amidst much arguing. The little boy in front of me also found it too loud so spent a lot of time thrashing around with his hands over his ears. Now I understand that you have to expect young children, especially at something like Matilda, but maybe teach them to be quiet first? I dont know if Im being unreasonable, what do people think?

#1738 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

How young. I think Matilda is 8+.

#1739 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Not sure but judging by the size and the older siblings I'd say 4 or 5 at most.
Is Matilda really 8+? Amazing that it is only 2 years younger than a Chorus Line which is 10+, I would not take a 10 year old to A Chorus Line.

#1740 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'm always amazed by what people will take their kids to see. I saw A Day in the Death of Joe Egg yesterday and there was a kid who couldn't have been older than seven. They were perfectly well behaved, but it is hardly a suitable play for kids.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users