#1751 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 April 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

I imagine he just quietly fell asleep...

Speaking of which, at that same performance there was a corpulent man at the end of the front row who slept through the entire show, interval and all.  Every time an actor moved downstage there was Rip Van Winkle in the spotlight.  The actors didn't appear to find him a distraction but I did, he was so front and centre down there. Even gunshots only evoked a brief head lift, then back to slumberland.  I wonder what he thought of the show?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#1752 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 22 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Not yet seen any young 'uns in Book of Mormon yet though!

I saw a young girl of around 10 there at the Wednesday matinee the other week!
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#1753 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

There was a very young boy with his mum in front of me at Viva Forever on Friday night. Was probably 6 or so. He was far more entertaining than anything that happened on stage. His obvious disdain was a treat to watch. At one point he threw his hands in the air with despair and said "what the?"

Awesome.

#1754 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Came across a short video made by young people at mousetrap.org.uk The film is aimed at young people who are going to the theatre for the first time on how to behave! It should be aimed at everyone! I have no affiliation to this group, I hasten to add.

#1755 daniel.

daniel.

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

As theatre staff, it sometimes is difficult to deal with problems immediately, despite how frustrating they can be to other customers.  I work in a receiving-house theatre, and each company gives us instructions on how they want issues dealing with - for example at present we are not allowed to use our torches to get a customers attention except from extreme circumstances (constant flash photography during a performance, for example).  This can often mean that whilst we are perfectly aware that somebody is taking photos or being noisy, unless they are sat within a few seats of an aisle there is not a lot that we can do besides collar them at the interval.

From the production's point of view, I guess customer complaints and the necessary compensation relating to one disruptive customer is less damaging than a dozen complaints due to Front of House staff being noisy going up and down stairs and flashing torches half way across rows!

#1756 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Saw The Weir last night at the Donmar. Was distracted by two people in front row centre who seemed to think it was perfectly ok to have their feet up on the stage for the whole play.

#1757 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I might add a twist to this thread by reporting some annoying behaviour from a member of the front-of-house staff. I was sat about halfway back in the circle with an aisle in front of me and a rather large usher spent the entire show patrolling this aisle, just walking up and down right in front of us. My friend said it reminded her of the guards at Buckingham Palace! I'm aware he was only trying to do his job, but please do it without distracting members of the audience!
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#1758 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postdaniel., on 22 April 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

As theatre staff, it sometimes is difficult to deal with problems immediately, despite how frustrating they can be to other customers.  I work in a receiving-house theatre, and each company gives us instructions on how they want issues dealing with - for example at present we are not allowed to use our torches to get a customers attention except from extreme circumstances (constant flash photography during a performance, for example).  This can often mean that whilst we are perfectly aware that somebody is taking photos or being noisy, unless they are sat within a few seats of an aisle there is not a lot that we can do besides collar them at the interval.

Agreed! We're often at the mercy of visiting company's demands, and regardless (and depending on the type of house you're in) physically getting to the offending audience member is sometimes more disruptive! I also once had a visiting stage manager complain that I opened the door during the performance (they were big on blackouts) as I was letting a young girl with learning difficulties out who was being disruptive, therefore her Mum decided to take her out and calm her down, it's often the lesser of two 'evils' (also that SM called me a boy to my manager, who was less than impressed....)

On the subject of children at the theatre I was ushering this weekend at a show that a small boy was far too young for. Dad did his best to keep him quiet but my favourite outburst was 'Romeo and Juliet, that's a tragedy because they die!'
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1759 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Bad behavior at shows is becoming more and more of an issue. I've noticed a huge increase in theatres outside of London - perhaps because of the increase in theatre being shown in the cinema and DVD releases? Theatres are attracting people who they wouldn't usually and whilst that is great, I think it is also responsible for this increase.

The issue is that theatres don't do enough to address it. Now, I know it is obvious to us on this forum; people who visit the theatre more than the average person however theatre etiquette may not be as obvious to people who don't go to the theatre a lot. Before every show, sure they say don't use your phone or record - great. BUT what about talking? Not once are people told not to talk whilst the show is happening, nor are they told to refrain from going to the toilet mid performance. People need to be told explicitly what is expected of them and theatres need to be tougher on inforcing rule - perhaps not during the show, but by pulling the person aside at the interval or perhaps even removing people from the theatre who are proving to be a constant issue. Cinemas do it and theatres should to.

I promise you that people who have paid good money to see a show and are being distracted by people talking or people on the phone, they'd much rather the usher come barging through the isle to tell someone to shut up rather than have to endure constant chatting for the entire performance.

In London we also have a lot of tourists going to the theatre - a lot of the time they don't speak any English or very poor English. So the theatres SHOULD be providing leaflets in several languages explaining theatre etiquette. Saying "Turn your phone off" in English to people who don't speak English isn't helpful.

Theatres also need to stop selling sweets in bags. They are fast becoming the bane of my life when I visit theatres...
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#1760 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostCoggit, on 23 April 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Bad behavior at shows is becoming more and more of an issue. I've noticed a huge increase in theatres outside of London - perhaps because of the increase in theatre being shown in the cinema and DVD releases? Theatres are attracting people who they wouldn't usually and whilst that is great, I think it is also responsible for this increase.

At the legitimate theatre, I've often found the worst offenders at talking and refusing to move during the interval  to be posh older people who I doubt are new to theatre-going.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users