#1761 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 23 April 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

Saw The Weir last night at the Donmar. Was distracted by two people in front row centre who seemed to think it was perfectly ok to have their feet up on the stage for the whole play.

View Postpopcultureboy, on 23 April 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

Saw The Weir last night at the Donmar. Was distracted by two people in front row centre who seemed to think it was perfectly ok to have their feet up on the stage for the whole play.
'Spose these were two of the new audience so beloved of Donmar and their booking system.

#1762 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 April 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

'Spose these were two of the new audience so beloved of Donmar and their booking system.
  Oh Lynette, are you catching Epi?! :o

#1763 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 22 April 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

I often leave work get the train for a 1hr 20min journey into London. I either plan before hand and take a sandwich to eat on the train or I pick something up from a shop & eat on the hoof on the way there if I'm unable to factor time for a sit down meal.  If not I try to get something to eat prior to the train home.  I usually arrive home at 0130 so could potentially have gone over 12 hours without food, this isnt a hardship if I get to see a show. Im not being a martyr here but showing that someone even with my capacity to eat can do it.

Regarding what people eat during an interval, it can be a problem if they are eating warm pasties and smelly sausages (you'd have to scroll back many tweets to see what I mean by that) as it makes me want to gag. If I was on a tube I could move away unfortunately being confined to a specific seat means moving isn't possible. I also think drinks (other than water) should not be allowed in the auditorium, the smell of cheap but overpriced wine is really something that should be confined to the bar.  I actually just bloody wish people would stop treating the theatre as if they are sat at home on their sofa with their feet up, eating a takeaway and chatting to their family. If that's what you want from a night then stay at home, it's simple.

I actually find this attitude really annoying. So if you're not willing to go without food for 12 hours, not have a drink all night and sit in complete silence you shouldn't go to the theatre?

We wouldn't have a thriving theatre scene if everyone had to meet your standards - people really would stay at home! A night at the theatre is meant to be entertaining, not an endurance test.

I'm as annoyed by anyone else by genuinely disruptive behaviour, but really, if the smell (or sight - ice cream doesn't have a noticeable smell, it's the mere sight of people eating it that offended your sensibilities in your original post) of food and alcohol affects you *that* badly, maybe you should be the one who stays at home. That would certainly represent less of a financial loss to the theatre than everyone else staying away!

#1764 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 23 April 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

I actually find this attitude really annoying. So if you're not willing to go without food for 12 hours, not have a drink all night and sit in complete silence you shouldn't go to the theatre?

We wouldn't have a thriving theatre scene if everyone had to meet your standards - people really would stay at home! A night at the theatre is meant to be entertaining, not an endurance test.

I'm as annoyed by anyone else by genuinely disruptive behaviour, but really, if the smell (or sight - ice cream doesn't have a noticeable smell, it's the mere sight of people eating it that offended your sensibilities in your original post) of food and alcohol affects you *that* badly, maybe you should be the one who stays at home. That would certainly represent less of a financial loss to the theatre than everyone else staying away!

Although it doesn't really bother me people drinking (as long as they open it before the actual performance - it is annoying hearing carbonated drinks being opened (and it always seems to happen during crucial scenes! Not to mention when it fizzes everywhere), I don't see why people can't not eat until the interval? An act is what, 1 hour 20 minutes, usually less? Do people really need to be digging into packets of crisps and sweets? You have an interval, stuff your face then by all means. At a performance of Cats a few years back, I remember having the misfortune of sitting next to a lady stuffing her face with a carton of Pringles she bought before the show, hearing the crunching non-stop through the show *IS* bloody annoying - and to make matters worse, she bought another one during the interval... Last night at Viva Forever there was a young girl eating a lolly and it *IS* annoying to hear non-stop slurping throughout the show (although the show was bloody awful, so I'll let her off on that one!).
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#1765 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

It's more a matter of if you're not willing to go without food for 12 hours, not have a drink all night, and are too stupid to find some other point to eat and drink then you shouldn't go to the theatre.

In my last job when I finished work I used to head straight home to get changed and then straight out the door to walk across town to catch the train into London so I could go to the theatre, with no time available to sit down and have anything to eat. So I didn't sit down: I made sandwiches in the morning and ate them while on the move. At no point did I think "I'm too self-important to miss out on a hot meal. I'll munch my way through a takeaway during the first act".

People manage things like driving for three hours without having to eat or drink every single thing they feel like consuming. "I'm sorry, Mr Policeman. I know it might look dangerous, but what else could I do? Go without my chicken vindaloo?" Why can't they put aside the noisy and smelly food for an hour or two in the theatre?
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1766 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Actually, no. They were in front row stalls dead centre. If you look at the seating plan, those 4 seats are not part of the £10 front row scheme. It's always been bugbear of mine at the Donmar though. Worst was the midnight matinee for Grand Hotel in early 2005. Full of other MT actors, all of whom had their feet up on the stage in the front row.

#1767 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think you are missing my point. There is a time and a place to eat and having a 'picnic' of smelly sausages and warm pasties front row behind the conductor in Her Majesty's is clearly unacceptable. I was approx 7 seats down and could smell it all all the way through the first Act. Even the conductor turned around and stared when he entered the orchestra pit.  If someone is desperate to eat and can not manage  2 1/2 hrs then they should step outside in the interval and eat their crunchy Pringles, rattling Maltesers and rustling Minstrels. I also never said an ice cream had a noticeable smell, but warm pasties, sausages and cheap red wine does. You are right it isn't an endurance test, the test is for people to plan effectively to ensure they don't disturb the enjoyment of those around them. One person's poor behaviour affects dozens of others, not to mention the performers on stage. I have friends who are performers and they tell me they can smell, see and hear the disruption even from quite far back in the auditorium. Maybe those actors should stay at home if it is annoying them too.

I have been attending the theatre since I was a very young child and I have seen a huge decline in behaviour, the problem is parents do not teach their children how to behave in public anymore and this over spills into the theatre so when these children become adults they have no sense of propriety.  It is not the cinema where people seem to wander around wherever they like now (or they were when I last went a few months ago).

Everyone has their own standards and I have no right to impose mine on others, but when Ive paid £60+ for a good seat I expect the theatre to be more robust when dealing with those who are clearly spoiling it for the majority.  If people are happy with smells, noise & other disruptions then that is fine, but some of us are not and I will continue to ask people to be quiet or get the FOH to deal with it.

#1768 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wolf whistling at Ghost last night.

Also some comedy commentary from the grannies behind me who were most confused about who was dead or not at a given point. Which would have been annoying, had it not been so funny.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1769 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Maybe theatres will have to start doing "relaxed" performances for BB adults ;) !

Special matinees where everyone can come & go as they please, eat, drink & be merry, sing along loudly, chat & explain the plot to their companions, take pics & video, tweet & blog during the show, answer phonecalls & take a nap if tthey wish. And the cast just have to be very tolerant & carry on in good humour...

#1770 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

Indeed!

I'm attracting them this week, at 'The Great Gatsby' ballet (Northern Ballet) the group of ladies behind me made it very clear they had no idea what was going on but found it hilarious....culminating in them shouting 'Oooh the mechanic did it!' at the end. They did get a firm telling off from the usher though which did shut them up until the very end at least.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users