2314 replies to this topic

#1771 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

EmiCardiff, maybe you also saw Caligula by David Greig after Albert Camus in Cardiff last week? The senators were played by local senior citizen community performers and they were seated amongst the audience. They muttered audibly to each other all the time while the senate was being addressed by Caligula. I guess these comments were improvised in rehearsal but they must have been carefully selected because some of them were hilarious. My favourite was towards the end when Caligula, becoming ever more extreme, rhetorically demanded of the assembled senate: "Do you ever think how it is to be me, in my position?" and one of the elderly senators quietly and nonchalantly responded with a quiet: "Not really...", which brought the house down.

#1772 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I missed it! A few friends went and said it was fabulous. I'm choosing to believe my Gatsby and Ghost people were just still in character from that!
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1773 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I was mildly amused at the Othello platform at the NT yesterday when Nick Hytner broke off from an answer to politely but firmly ask someone in the audience to turn off whatever the electronic source of orange light was because it was very distracting. I bet he doesn't flinch from telling people to stop rustling their Maltesers!

#1774 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

He authorises a loud announcment at The National warning about phones and it works. No phones go off. No rustling. I wish The Donmar had his sense.

#1775 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

I was at my local theatre seeing the opening night of A Man of No Importance (wonderful show and well worth a schlepp out to Salisbury to see it). However, three women behind me just could not shut up, they were chatting about their work, showing video recordings of their kids, one actually said "I better turn the volume down as I don't suppose anyone else wants to hear this", I didnt want to hear their incessant drivel either. I turned around glared & shushed, didn't have much of an impact though. Also in front there were a number of late teens who were clearly just there to see Fra Fee (aside: he plays Robbie superbly) and one had a voice like a foghorn, they had their feet on the seats in front of them, squealed at any remotely relevant tweet they made about the show and without realising it told at least the rows around them that they couldnt get back to London tonight so were sleeping in the bus station until 7am when they could catch a bus home!
I have tickets to the last night too but think I'll pop in for a quiet (I hope) matinee.

#1776 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

They were watching videos during the performance?

#1777 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostCatqc, on 26 April 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

They were watching videos during the performance?

Yes!!!! They were right behind me & although the glare didn't get to me I could hear them whispering to each other about it. I was gobsmacked! That's what prompted me to ssshhh them

#1778 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 26 April 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

However, three women behind me just could not shut up, they were chatting about their work, showing video recordings of their kids, one actually said "I better turn the volume down as I don't suppose anyone else wants to hear this", I didnt want to hear their incessant drivel either. I turned around glared & shushed, didn't have much of an impact though.

How about having something like this printed in luminous glow-in-the-dark lettering?

"YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS CARD BECAUSE YOU ARE TALKING OR OTHERWISE CAUSING A NUISANCE TO YOUR FELLOW THEATRE GOERS. PLEASE RESPECT THE REST OF THE AUDIENCE AND REMAIN SILENT DURING THE PERFORMANCE. THANK YOU."

#1779 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostDuncan, on 26 April 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

How about having something like this printed in luminous glow-in-the-dark lettering?

"YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS CARD BECAUSE YOU ARE TALKING OR OTHERWISE CAUSING A NUISANCE TO YOUR FELLOW THEATRE GOERS. PLEASE RESPECT THE REST OF THE AUDIENCE AND REMAIN SILENT DURING THE PERFORMANCE. THANK YOU."

And leaving it on their battered corpse as a warning to others? I like it.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1780 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

At Rock of ages in Las Vegas last week audience sang full voice every song, talked through all the dialogue. Then there was a punch up between 3 guys at the end, literally throwing each other over the seats.

And for those who don't like food/drink they were selling Jell-O shots at the in auditorium bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users