2316 replies to this topic

#1781 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I actually thought ejector seats would be a great idea, or ones that swallow people up into the floor, like a trapdoor. First warning your seat vibrates, next BAM! down you go

#1782 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Not sure if it counts, but at the Covent garden event for the Olivier awards last night the people next to me were talking throughout nearly all the acts, rather annoying, and on their phones, seemed to have no respect for the performers, other than when Matilda performed! Anyway, turned out it was a group of parents of the girls playing Matilda!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1783 Eatbigsea

Eatbigsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

I recently visited New York and saw Kinky Boots (delightful, apart from the dodgy accents) and the biggest, burliest character in the show appeared beforehand and basically threatened people into turning off their phones, being very specific that neither text messaging nor putting phones on vibrate were acceptable. It worked delightfully well, first Broadway performance I've seen in years in which I didn't hear or see a single phone-related thing.

#1784 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

At Top Hat this afternoon the two girls in front of me decided that just before the overture started was the perfect time for them to each open a large plastic carton of strongly-smelling pasta in sauce & start eating. Fortunately I was on the end of a row and there were empty seats nearby so I was able to move (which I did while the overture applause was happening to minimise disturbing anyone else). In the interval I explained to the ushers & fortunately they sympathised & let me stay where I was for Act 2. I had no-one next to or directly in front of me.... relative bliss! But why, oh, why do people think that during a show is the right time to eat lunch? Either do it before, after or if you must in the interval (and then not in the auditorium).

Given the criticism (rightly) given to those in the audience using various visible electronic devices during shows I was rather amused to see the conductor at Top Hat looking at what appeared to be a Kindle between numbers! As the pit in the Aldwych does not have the usual material covering the rails the orchestra are rather visible from front stalls & rather audible too, I've several times found their whispering in quiet dialogue scenes scenes to be a bit distracting.

#1785 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Tonight during Jersey Boys: A husband and wife. The wife obviously dragged the husband along to see it as he made it quite clear before the show even began that he didn't want to be here. During the show, I heard very melodramatic sighs and yawns coming from him, at one point he also picked up his bag, rummaged through it and then dropped it on the floor (as apposed to just bending down a little bit and placing it down. Or, you know, don't flippin' rummage through your bag at all).  Towards the end of act 1, they were talking, so I turned around to find the man looking pretty angry. When the beginning of act 2 was starting, they obviously had some harsh words when they left the auditorium, as they were continuing the argument pretty loudly. During the second act, he was talking a lot to his wife, huge dramatic yawns and towards the end of act 2, the argument began again as you could hear the wife say to him "just shut up" pretty loudly. At the end of act 2, each of the Four Seasons come forward and give a little afterword. During this time there is no music of anything, the whole auditorium is in silence, when the man picks his coat up from the floor and begins putting it on. Then he stormed ahead of his wife during the encore.

What makes it worse, is that this is probably the best theatre performance I've been to in terms of bad behaviour in about 2 years. I always seem to sit near people like this :(
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#1786 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Orchestra behaviour can be bad and very distracting. I was once on the front row of Billy Elliot (day seat) and became fascinated by a member of the orchestra who was reading a tabloid newspaper between musical numbers. He managed to put it down just seconds before playing his first note in the musical number - he had clearly got this down to a fine art.

#1787 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Musicians are a different breed. At the recent SEDOS Godspell one of the on-stage band took out a pack of sandwiches and ate them between numbers. I just made us laugh to be honest, may have felt differently if we'd paid £60 in the West End.

#1788 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostDawnstar, on 30 April 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Given the criticism (rightly) given to those in the audience using various visible electronic devices during shows I was rather amused to see the conductor at Top Hat looking at what appeared to be a Kindle between numbers! As the pit in the Aldwych does not have the usual material covering the rails the orchestra are rather visible from front stalls & rather audible too, I've several times found their whispering in quiet dialogue scenes scenes to be a bit distracting.

I think some musicians have their music or technical stuff (sorry I don't play an instrument) on electronic devices such as ipads etc, could it have been that or were they just tweeting about the badly behaved audience members?  My daughter was in a Godspell production (Easter workshop) and the MD had everything on his ipad/lappy. Just a thought

#1789 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 01 May 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

I think some musicians have their music or technical stuff (sorry I don't play an instrument) on electronic devices such as ipads etc, could it have been that or were they just tweeting about the badly behaved audience members?  My daughter was in a Godspell production (Easter workshop) and the MD had everything on his ipad/lappy. Just a thought
It couldn't've been the music as the paper copy of the score was very clearly visible on the stand in front of the conductor. Also this device he was looking at when sitting down between numbers, not while conducting. I've heard of singers using iPads for lyrics in concerts but hadn't previously heard of anyone conducting from one. Imagine if the battery died half-way through an Act!

#1790 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

The MD of my daughters show deffo had stuff on his ipad, but he also had the sheet music too.  Yes it could be a disaster if that's all they relied on.  Maybe he was just reading the latest blockbuster!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo