2316 replies to this topic

#1791 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Been at the pit at many shows. Most have newspapers, one keyboardist I saw was reading a kindle whilst performing. Seen many a checked phone, and texts sent too,, so wouldn't be surprised by an iPad. People in the pit often forget they are on display.

#1792 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

At Lord of the Rings the MD once solved a Sudoku during the show. It was empty before the show started and complete after act one. Didn't distract or bother me but I admit I was slightly amazed.

#1793 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

After sitting through Lord of the Rings, I think my time would have been better spent doing Sudoko too! Must remember to take a puzzle book to the theatre next time in case the show is dull. Although me doing a crossword will probably be reported here on the "bad behaviour" thread! LOL

#1794 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I do not know whether this is bad behavior but I was at a post show talk for Rutherford and Son and we got onto this subject

The leading actor, Barrie Rutter, recounted when he was performing in the Derek Jacobi production of Hamlet. They were performing in China when a shocked audience suddenly got up and started shouting at the moment when Hamlet stabbed Polonius until the show was stopped.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#1795 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostDavid J, on 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

I do not know whether this is bad behavior but I was at a post show talk for Rutherford and Son and we got onto this subject

The leading actor, Barrie Rutter, recounted when he was performing in the Derek Jacobi production of Hamlet. They were performing in China when a shocked audience suddenly got up and started shouting at the moment when Hamlet stabbed Polonius until the show was stopped.
  Much like the Prince Regent attending Julius Caesar in Blackadder :lol:

#1796 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 01 May 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Orchestra behaviour can be bad and very distracting. I was once on the front row of Billy Elliot (day seat) and became fascinated by a member of the orchestra who was reading a tabloid newspaper between musical numbers. He managed to put it down just seconds before playing his first note in the musical number - he had clearly got this down to a fine art.

One of the conductors at Billy Elliot always reads his Kindle when not conducting, e.g. during the pre-recorded Swan Lake scene and during most of the talking scenes. I don't really find it distracting as it doesn't light up, he just has it placed under the conductor's lamp, it's quite amusing actually seeing how much he gets read during these scenes.

#1797 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yesterday at the matinee of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time the man directly in front of me decided to get up (rather noisily due to the creaky Apollo seats) and go to the toilet during the quietest scene in the whole play, completely ruining the atmosphere. It was only about 5 minutes before the interval and he returned to his seat just before the lights went up. I don't know why he couldn't have waited for a more appropriate time to make his way back to his seat.
There was also a group of teenagers behind us who giggled throughout the whole play :rolleyes:
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#1798 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Do people who go to the toilet in the middle of the show not care about missing part of the show?

#1799 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostCatqc, on 05 May 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Do people who go to the toilet in the middle of the show not care about missing part of the show?

Probably not as much as they care about having to travel home with the embarrassingly conspicuous understain of doom.

Of course, they could always bring a bottle and a funnel and go without missing anything. Let's face it, it's only a matter of time. (I wish I could say with confidence that it would never happen, but I know better.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1800 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 05 May 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Probably not as much as they care about having to travel home with the embarrassingly conspicuous understain of doom.

Of course, they could always bring a bottle and a funnel and go without missing anything. Let's face it, it's only a matter of time. (I wish I could say with confidence that it would never happen, but I know better.)

I never get people leaving to go to the toilet during a performances, its common at the cinema although I think that's due to the food and drink people consume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users