#1801 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostJon, on 05 May 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I never get people leaving to go to the toilet during a performances, its common at the cinema although I think that's due to the food and drink people consume.
Or just that films tend to be at least an hour longer than a theatre act? I bet if Les Mis didn't have an interval there'd be a fair amount of people leaving half-way

#1802 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

At many cinemas you have to sit through up to 30 mins of c**p before the film starts, i.e. ads and trailers, and cinemas don't publish the start time of the feature, though will tell you if you ask.  This obviously adds to the total running time, unless you choose to arrive just before for the film.

Just imagine, though, if theatres were to start to do likewise!  Lots of them use screens now as part of the production and they could easily be fitted...

#1803 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

View Postfringefan, on 06 May 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

Just imagine, though, if theatres were to start to do likewise!  Lots of them use screens now as part of the production and they could easily be fitted...

I've seen several regional theatres show advertising during the interval. Not a bad idea, actually.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1804 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 06 May 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

I've seen several regional theatres show advertising during the interval. Not a bad idea, actually.
Yes I have seen this projected onto the safety curtain during the interval. However, I haven't seen it recently perhaps the practise has been dropped. Hardly constitutes bad behaviour though - off topic - lol.

#1805 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

This constitutes bad behaviour OUTSIDE a show. On Sat eve in Shaftesbury Ave a parade of drummers could be heard inside the Geilgud Theatre. So Dame Helen Mirren in the interval dressed as the Queen went outside and told them to "shut the f*** up". Oh I wish I could have been there!

#1806 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 06 May 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

This constitutes bad behaviour OUTSIDE a show. On Sat eve in Shaftesbury Ave a parade of drummers could be heard inside the Geilgud Theatre. So Dame Helen Mirren in the interval dressed as the Queen went outside and told them to "shut the f*** up". Oh I wish I could have been there!
Ah but who was behaving badly? The musicians trying to earn a living and giving pleasure to many or the foul-mouthed thesp?

#1807 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

You may not have been so tolerant if you had paid £125 a ticket to watch the play.

#1808 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

In the olden days......they showed ads on the interval curtain. Like they used to show ads in the cinema. This cinema is just round the corner from Pete's fish and chips. Why not go after the show? Lurid plate of chips on screen. And the same but static of course on theatre curtain. Provincial of course. No idea if they did this in West End.

#1809 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Blood Brothers used to have an ad for Gordon's Gin on the interval curtain (right up until 2011 when I finally got around to seeing it) I was told it also appeared in the Bristol stop of the tour so presume it's a deal with the show producers rather than the theatre? though it didn't appear on the most recent tour in Cardiff.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1810 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 06 May 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

You may not have been so tolerant if you had paid £125 a ticket to watch the play.
  Possibly not but how many people (who couldn't afford £125) were being entertained by the music?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users