#1811 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 06 May 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Possibly not but how many people (who couldn't afford £125) were being entertained by the music?
A load of people banging drums ( I won't call them drummers as that would be an insult to percussionists) is hardly music - more like noise pollution.

#1812 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Ah but who was behaving badly? The musicians trying to earn a living and giving pleasure to many or the foul-mouthed thesp?

The musicians. It doesn't take a genius to realise that 25 people drumming very loudly right outside a theatre showing a quiet play isn't the most brilliant of ideas.

#1813 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Aw shame, would have been appropriate riot in the good ole bad days..

#1814 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

To be honest I think the people outside got by far the best deal!!! They got to see the queen telling people to shut up! And I think it wasn't bad behaviour by anyone, just poor planning, and it is the sort of thing that they should have had to clear with the theatres they went past beforehand!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1815 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Good on Dame Helen I thought, it makes you wonder what would have happened if the late great Richard Griffiths had been disturbed by the drummers.

#1816 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

But once again I see that the FOH staff, of two theatres, (Les Mis was affected as well) adopted the "let's just ignore it & see if it stops" policy! Literally an "Audience" member had to sort it out..not getting at all FOH people, but it annoys me when there is clearly a problem & they don't react.

#1817 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

We were having a satellite opera at work a couple of years ago when dog in garden next door started barking loudly. After a few minutes the manager just popped round and asked if he'd mind taking it in. Job done, no probs.

#1818 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Interval rant at Wicked - little girl sitting diagonally behind me is quite loudly munching popcorn the one half of the show and coughing along the other half.
Why on earth do theatres sell these "noisy" sweets at all?
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#1819 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

MONEEEEEEEEY!

#1820 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostJohn_Rebus, on 10 May 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Why on earth do theatres sell these "noisy" sweets at all?

Putting on my "cynical" hat for a moment, on top of the many other "cynical" hats I'm already wearing...

The economics of West End theatre are unusual in that there's almost no return business: apart from a financially insignificant fraction of the audience, people see a show once and never return to that show. Most of them won't return to the West End until a year later at the earliest. That means that it's in the interests of the business to get as much money as possible in advance and let whatever happens afterwards take care of itself. What does it matter to them that your enjoyment is diminished because the food is noisy? They've already extracted every penny out of you that they're ever going to get.

Obviously there's a brake on this strategy because if too many people get upset then word gets round and business suffers, but the West End is one of those places where "I'm never coming here again!" is a meaningless threat because it's almost always true even with the most delightful of experiences.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users