2325 replies to this topic

#1821 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

That is sooo cynical tho a bit true. I think they sell noisy sweets cos they don't join up the people in charge so Miss Sweet Buyer doesn't have a clue about noise issue. It is the packaging that is noisy. ( of course some people eat in a noisy way...and crisps should be a no no ) so maybe like they provide plastic cups they could provide poly bags! Or tell you to put the sweeties in the plastic cup. I've done this in the past. It will be getting a bit nursery school by the time we've finished. Perhaps there is a gap in the market, albeit a teeny one, for noiseless packaging for music and theatrical venues. It kinda follows the obesity thing..we want to eat all the time so make it easier for us to do so. All up on the handcart to hell. Giddy up.

#1822 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostLynette, on 11 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

That is sooo cynical tho a bit true. I think they sell noisy sweets cos they don't join up the people in charge so Miss Sweet Buyer doesn't have a clue about noise issue. It is the packaging that is noisy. ( of course some people eat in a noisy way...and crisps should be a no no ) so maybe like they provide plastic cups they could provide poly bags! Or tell you to put the sweeties in the plastic cup. I've done this in the past. It will be getting a bit nursery school by the time we've finished. Perhaps there is a gap in the market, albeit a teeny one, for noiseless packaging for music and theatrical venues. It kinda follows the obesity thing..we want to eat all the time so make it easier for us to do so. All up on the handcart to hell. Giddy up.

The Sunderland Empire (an ATG theatre) used to buy their sweets in cardboard boxes and before the performance, people were told to empty the sweets into the box now and not during the show. I don't understand why other theatres don't do this? I understand they have to take advantage of people whilst they are in the theatre, but at the detriment of loads of other people? It's just plain annoying and easily avoidable if they just do what the Empire used to do... I, for one, purposefully avoid certain shows (Wicked, et al) which are popular tourist destinations as I just don't see the point of wasting my money...
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#1823 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Queens' theatre, nice in a lot of ways, nevertheless seem to have tried to find the most irritating snacks possible, selling boxes of seaweed peanuts, which smell, rattle about and some people eat noisily with their mouths open.

#1824 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Had a terrible experience of bad behaviour last night at Spamalot - a whole row of very large VERY drunk women sitting behind us who seemed to find it necessary to repeat almost every sentence extremely loudly to their party, which was always followed by a period of loud laughter by all 20 women which went on more or less until the next joke, which was again repeated like an echo. My whole family would turn around and glare and shush them every single time, to minimal effect, although by the interval they were getting better. At the end of the interval they all returned, XL beer in hand, to continue their chorus throughout the second act. So frustrating! Yes I know I should have said something to the FOH but partly hope that they would shut up and partly fear of having drunken brawl break out restrained me.

#1825 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I was at Billy Elliot Thu evening and it was like the United Nations. I had a French family sat behind me with the mother interpreting EVERYTHING for the children!  OK she was whispering but it was so irritating & I found it difficult to focus on what was being said on stage.  I also had 2 Scandinavian ladies sat next to me and they were talking all the way through; one clearly spoke good English but the other one was asking her friend what was happening. My friend who was much further back said the same was happening there.  I didn't say anything (which is unusual for me) because there were children being told what was going on so I felt mean.  I was quite happy to have an American lady sat next to me who appeared to get the humour but didn't return after the interval.  I would also question why on earth people would take kids to a show like Billy when there really isn't enough visuals so they can work most of it out themselves.  Evening was spoilt I have to say

#1826 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 11 May 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I was at Billy Elliot Thu evening and it was like the United Nations.
LOL hopefully at the United Nations they have a bit more respect for other people....

#1827 StevieNight

StevieNight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 11 May 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I was at Billy Elliot Thu evening and it was like the United Nations. I had a French family sat behind me with the mother interpreting EVERYTHING for the children!  OK she was whispering but it was so irritating & I found it difficult to focus on what was being said on stage.  I also had 2 Scandinavian ladies sat next to me and they were talking all the way through; one clearly spoke good English but the other one was asking her friend what was happening. My friend who was much further back said the same was happening there.  I didn't say anything (which is unusual for me) because there were children being told what was going on so I felt mean.  I was quite happy to have an American lady sat next to me who appeared to get the humour but didn't return after the interval.  I would also question why on earth people would take kids to a show like Billy when there really isn't enough visuals so they can work most of it out themselves.  Evening was spoilt I have to say

I had exactly the same happen me today at the Matinee performance of Wicked, but with a big group of Germans.  It really was frustrating, particularly as I had paid for decent seats in the stalls.  It was just the kids chatting throughout too, I was surprised the parents didn't intervene.

#1828 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Oh god that truly is shocking! ;)
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1829 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm wondering whether its just me or does anyone else find it irritating when the guy (usually a guy as well who has clearly been dragged to the theatre) starts shaking his leg. Constantly. I've experienced this several times already and the last time i was so closed to asking him to stop but just changed seats instead.

#1830 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I know exactly what you mean. At The Bodyguard I sat next to a guy who was shaking his leg repeatedly. My seat was rocking along with his leg shaking and he kept hitting my leg with his knee. I politely asked him to stop after a while and it seemed he hadn't even realised he was doing it.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users