2316 replies to this topic

#1831 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Almost as bad as seat kickers. I ventured to the cinema (an even worse place for bad behaviour!!) last week and got my seat kicked all the way through Star Trek...still helped to feel I was on the Enterprise I suppose...
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1832 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

When audience members fight back

#1833 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Tonight at Relatively Speaking, talkie talkie talkie, two women who were charring away, an old dear crinkly crinkly her sweeties and then another behind me and then the guy behind me opened an explosive ice cream which caught the back of my neck. I dunno. Some people.

#1834 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Usually get pretty good behaviour in the fringe venues, but last week at the Union there was somebody was sat behind me who sniveled snot back up their nose every 30 seconds (obviously using a tissue was beyond them). Plus saw somebody on the opposite side filming a section on their phone.

Also not bad behaviour as such, but there was somebody in the queue who was rather loudly going on about how they had just passed their PhD and everybody would have to call them doctor from now on ........

#1835 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

As a final year PhD student I do appreciate the sentiment of that last one....though I'm not arrogant enough to shout it out in a public place (plus when I finally finish I plan to a) sleep and B) be quietly drunk for a week so won't bother anyone)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1836 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

You don't shout it out in public, just put it on public message boards? (Sorry couldn't resist) :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1837 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Given the rigours of the PhD process in this country - in the US much more time is granted to PhD students - one can't blame anyone for being publicly elated at its successful completion.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#1838 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostLynette, on 16 May 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

... and then the guy behind me opened an explosive ice cream which caught the back of my neck...

Or maybe he was just pleased to see you?

Or publicly elated at the successful completion of his PhD?

#1839 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postmallardo, on 18 May 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Given the rigours of the PhD process in this country - in the US much more time is granted to PhD students - one can't blame anyone for being publicly elated at its successful completion.

I don't mind people being happy at getting a PhD, it's the 'oh everybody call me doctor routine'. Outside of an academic setting, nobody cares.

#1840 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Just to say that the first aid instructor who ran the course I did ( please don't collapse near me, I would be hopeless) said that she had people say, 'I'm a doctor ' when they meant academic, not medical, when she had asked for assistance. Like they thought they could help! Some people, eh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users