2320 replies to this topic

#1851 Viceroy

Viceroy

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

The set design is strictly the copyright of the set designer (or if the copyright has been purchased the production company). Whilst some may be happy to have their designs photographed and possibly copied in other productions, the photographer would need to obtain that permission in advance.

It is an artistic work, in the same way that a fashion article, photograph or painting is, and the copyright is automatically inherent with the creator, without the need to patent or register the design.

#1852 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Copyright of their set, their design, their images - how is that difficult to understand?

#1853 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Basically, they like people to buy a program. One of the reasons you might buy a program is for pictures. I mean, there is a slight chance you could sell them or use them to replicate a production (the set is copyright) but it is mainly profiteering.

#1854 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

It is to do with ownership of that copywright. Also many producers want to have control of the images available during a run for marketing purposes-do they want their high-res professional pictures to be the image people see or the blurry image from a camera phone at the back of the circle?

We had a woman taking pictures through the entirety of 'The Tempest' at the Globe on Saturday. Very distracting in that setting as everyone could see who it was and every picture she took. My friends and I told an usher at the interval who had a word and she did stop. We also had a woman who blew her nose constantly and loudly through the entire performance next to us, irritating but not much to be done about that one!!
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1855 JAD

JAD

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

On Friday there was a couple chatting throughout show at The Book of Mormon.  So putting their heads together through MY viewing space. Although the good news is at the interval they changed seats with the other couple they were with. Also the man with the big head on the row in front of them managed to break his seat in the interval and was moved elsewhere. Thanks mate. :D

#1856 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostPriscilla, on 19 May 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Copyright of their set, their design, their images - how is that difficult to understand?
  Lots of things are copyright - doesn't mean I can't take a photo of them  though. Concert performers don't tend to be quite so precious about that sort of thing. If people want to look at blurry pictures, what possible harm does it do? Taking a photo of the inside of a theatre doesn't imply an intent to copy the set - and as has been pointed out, if you wanted to do that, you could buy a picture. It just seems slightly hysterical to me and I still don't get why anyone would actually be *pleased* to see someone's pictures deleted (I do wonder about the legality of that)

#1857 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

saw the woman in black tour on staurday in MALVERN ! now ive visited here many times to see many different shows and always found the audience respectful , and if there were ever a time when you needed a quiet audience it is for this play ... it was sold out and appeared to be lots of teenagers too (maybe after seeing the film) not realising the play is not like the film i did hear a phew sighs around me as it started .... but the main gripe was the amount of coughing at one point we counted a sequance of 16 coughs going aorunt the theatre  started by a chap at the back who continualy coughed for most of the first half before going out side , everytime the tension built and it all went quiet someone would cough !! it wasnt just one occaisionlly  but it started everyone off like a mexican wave  spoiled the night .. as well as the constant rustle of sweet wrappers ! if i have a cough i make sure i have water and cough sweets  ...i just find many people seem to think they are at home watching there tv in the pjs these days :)

#1858 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostJAD, on 20 May 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

On Friday there was a couple chatting throughout show at The Book of Mormon.  So putting their heads together through MY viewing space. Although the good news is at the interval they changed seats with the other couple they were with. Also the man with the big head on the row in front of them managed to break his seat in the interval and was moved elsewhere. Thanks mate. :D

Not the first time I have heard of a seat getting broken at The PoW... Are they made of balsa wood or something?!

#1859 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

All I am asking is why do people feel the need to take a picture of everything they see. After all the set at the beginning of Peter and Alice is only rows and rows of books. Why is that so interesting that a picture must be taken of it!

#1860 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

An article with interesting comments on this from the Guardian (someone links to this thread so I'll return the favour ;) )

http://www.guardian....haviour-theatre

One highlight ...

I was once severely annoyed by the individual next to me surreptitiously invading my personal space throughout a performance at the National. Despite my efforts to nudge, cough and stare them into submission, as time passed it got worse to the point it felt like most of their weight was on my shoulder.
It wasn't until turning to have a stern whispered word with them during a scene change that I realised they'd died.

The discretion with which the staff removed the body was remarkable.

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users