2316 replies to this topic

#1861 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Last night went to see West End Eurovision. I know its a late night show and people have probably just come off stage so a bit hyped up and others have probably had a few drinks earlier in the evening so I was expecting it to be a bit "fun" night but the cast of Wicked who were in the audience and unfortunately sitting near me behaved disgracefully. They talked to each other loudly throughout the evening, only stopping when their own show performed and then just screamed at the top of their voices throughout the routine. The event was in aid of charity and, of course, there are serious moments when they talk about fund raising but they continued to talk throughout these presentations.
They embarassed themselves to be honest but didnt seem to care.

#1862 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Strange one this week, studio show so unreserved seating. I get back from the interval and there is somebody sat in my seat, didn't really know what to do. So I just stood waiting for everybody to else to come back (it was full) so I could find the one empty seat left. Of course you get all the looks.... why isn't that idiot sitting down.

#1863 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Attended opening preview of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory on Wednesday, the gentlemen next to me arrived last minute with their alcoholic drinks, didn't allow me time to get completely out of their way so they could get past me & one of them stood on my foot, with not so much as an apologetic glance when I objected.  They then spent the entire first act snuggling up to each other and chatting in carrying whispers, sharing a rustling packet of what I assume were sweets.   When the first act was over, I tried to quickly get out of my (aisle) seat, to avoid a 2nd foot trampling, but clearly didnt move quickly enough & was barged out of the way like I was invisible :angry:
When I pointed out their behaviour & mentioned that I was also sat behind someone who was around 6'3" who couldnt keep still, blocking my view & forcing me to lean on my (injured) left arm so I could see around him.  (I point out here, that it is clearly not the guys fault that he is tall & I think the moving around was due to the fact he was squashed up like a concertina *sp?* because of the decidedly miniscule legroom). Mercifully, the FOH manager moved me for the 2nd act, I was sat behind 2 ladies who also couldn't sit still, but I could at least see around them.   Why do people pay good money to come to a show that they clearly have no intention of watching, drives me up the wall!! :angry:
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1864 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postzyx123, on 25 May 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Strange one this week, studio show so unreserved seating. I get back from the interval and there is somebody sat in my seat, didn't really know what to do. So I just stood waiting for everybody to else to come back (it was full) so I could find the one empty seat left. Of course you get all the looks.... why isn't that idiot sitting down.

You have to cultivate a manner in which your voice sounds calm and rational but your eyes give the distinct impression that you are capable of killing and then eating people.

#1865 webdesign24

webdesign24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

Honestly, I rarely watched play so I haven't experience any bad behavior in theater.

#1866 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Two phones in RSC Hamlet tonight. Thankfully soft and stopped after about three rings. No announcement before show.

#1867 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 20 May 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Lots of things are copyright - doesn't mean I can't take a photo of them  though. Concert performers don't tend to be quite so precious about that sort of thing. If people want to look at blurry pictures, what possible harm does it do? Taking a photo of the inside of a theatre doesn't imply an intent to copy the set - and as has been pointed out, if you wanted to do that, you could buy a picture. It just seems slightly hysterical to me and I still don't get why anyone would actually be *pleased* to see someone's pictures deleted (I do wonder about the legality of that)
I took my grandchildren to see The Gruffalos Child, their first theatre outing and we had bought them Gruffalo masks to wear. I was taking some photos of the kids with the masks on and my 4 year old grandson asked me to take one of the stage. The 'scenery' was a tree and that was all. The second I pointed my camera at the stage the steward did a Usain Bolt towards me and said I couldn't take any photos due to copyright. Of a Tree??

#1868 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

It does sound ridiculous, but I think in this case a 'don't shoot the messenger' type scenario....big, dare I say is 'corporate' shows like Gruffalo are extremely fussy in all kinds of ways and house managers and by default ushers get it in the neck for not complying. Is it right? no, particularly for kids shows some leeway on many things should be allowed but staff often at the mercy of big bosses.

(that said as an usher I've turned many a blind eye at kids shows when I can...not least because the wrath of parents isn't worth it often!)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1869 hitster

hitster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

At Festival Theatre Malvern yesterday talking to some other regular theatregoers who knew a cast member of Murder in Play, I was told that on opening night on Tuesday that there was a continual buzzing noise from an elderly lady's hearing aid in the first act. It could be heard on stage as the lady was sat in the front row and apparently 3 rows back could hear it.

The lady was obviously trying to get her hearing aid to work and on occasion took it out and started talking in a loud voice almost like Joan Sanderson in the famous Fawlty Towers episode. There were a few words said between the lady in question, other patrons and FOH staff at the interval and the lady was reseated for the second half.

#1870 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

To be fair, theatres care a lot less about copyright than people think. Perhaps they think it is a good marketing ploy not to care? There a loads of bootleg trader communities around that are out in the open and don't even try to hide themselves. There are even people on websites like iOffer making profit from the sale of Bootlegs and nothing is ever done. The only musical that has went out of their way to attempt to prevent the distribution of their musical is The Book of Mormon. Same with YouTube - you can find entire recorded segments on Youtube and no one seems to care (the only time I've seen videos removed is when people have posted bootlegs in their entirety).
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users