2320 replies to this topic

#1871 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

As we don't have a "good behaviour at a show" thread, I just wanted to say that I saw Charlie & the Chocolate factory this week at a matinee performance, packed out with children of course, several coach parties of brownies etc & they were all beautifully behaved. They were really engrossed throughout, it was lovely.
And the FOH staff at the Theatre Royal were brilliant too, obviously lots of booster seats needed & parties to sort out. They were really pleasant & enthusiastic & you got that feeling of going to the theatre being a very special treat, which jaded old me doesn't often get these days! I loved the doormen in red tail coats too.

#1872 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostCoggit, on 30 May 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

To be fair, theatres care a lot less about copyright than people think. Perhaps they think it is a good marketing ploy not to care? There a loads of bootleg trader communities around that are out in the open and don't even try to hide themselves. There are even people on websites like iOffer making profit from the sale of Bootlegs and nothing is ever done. The only musical that has went out of their way to attempt to prevent the distribution of their musical is The Book of Mormon. Same with YouTube - you can find entire recorded segments on Youtube and no one seems to care (the only time I've seen videos removed is when people have posted bootlegs in their entirety).

That's why I was so amazed at the usher telling me not to take a photo of the tree. How is that going to affect copyright? (Apart from the fact that I am the worst photographer in the world and any photo on an iphone is not good quality). If I had been taking photos or filming whilst the play was on, fair enough, not only is it illegal but very annoying for other people in the audience.

#1873 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostJME52K, on 02 June 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

That's why I was so amazed at the usher telling me not to take a photo of the tree. How is that going to affect copyright? (Apart from the fact that I am the worst photographer in the world and any photo on an iphone is not good quality). If I had been taking photos or filming whilst the play was on, fair enough, not only is it illegal but very annoying for other people in the audience.
  Glad I'm not the only person who finds the restrictions on photos in an empty auditorium absolutely ridiculous.

#1874 Rick2010

Rick2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Here'e what Patti Lupone did...

#1875 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

Totally brilliant. They should play this before every show in town. In the foyer.

#1876 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostJME52K, on 02 June 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

That's why I was so amazed at the usher telling me not to take a photo of the tree. How is that going to affect copyright?

The problem with allowing some photography is: where do you draw the line? The moment you start allowing some photography you open yourself up to everyone with a camera arguing that that person was allowed to take a picture, so why can't I? So there are really only three options:

(1) Prohibit all photography.
(2) Permit all photography.
(3) Spend several hours a day arguing with every whiny self-entitled little shit who thinks he or she should be a special case.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#1877 Music Man

Music Man

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Whilst i agree with all that Patti Lupone says in the audio posted above by Rick2010 I would also say (and i said this the last time this clip was posted) - the person recording the show/song also had "no respect" as not only is the taking of photographs prohibited but so is the use of ANY recording equipment.

Now I realise that recording would not have disrupted the performance like the flashing of cameras etc but at the end of the day the person that made the recording (above) is actually no better and is also breaking copyright law.

#1878 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 02 June 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

The problem with allowing some photography is: where do you draw the line? The moment you start allowing some photography you open yourself up to everyone with a camera arguing that that person was allowed to take a picture, so why can't I? So there are really only three options:

(1) Prohibit all photography.
(2) Permit all photography.
(3) Spend several hours a day arguing with every whiny self-entitled little shit who thinks he or she should be a special case.
  Or, the fourth alternative, allow photography before the show just as conversation and use of mobile phones is allowed before the show. But what do I know? I'm only a whiny self-entitled little shit, apparently.

#1879 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

The strictest theatre ive seen for taking photographs is the Piccadilly, they are like hawks attaking prey if they see a flash!! Apollo Victoria has completly given up, you can take pictures of the Wicked stage before and after as much as you want, they wont say anything. I think thats because it has such a mass fanbase that people gave up telling off.

#1880 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I was at Phantom of the Opera last week, and my sister managed to take a photo of the chandelier during the interval from our seats in the grand circle. On an ipod, so no flash or anything. Someone then yelled "no photographs!" from the other side of the auditorium. Crazy!
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users