2323 replies to this topic

#1901 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

It was at the opera - on a multilingual subtitle screen!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1902 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Saw Viva Forever during the week, and the guy next to my friend dropped his phone 2 minutes into the opening number. He stood up, he crouched down on the floor, he banged the seats in front, he shone a torch on his friend's phone etc trying to find it. I timed him - he spent the first 30 minutes looking for it - gradually becoming verbally annoyed he couldn't find it.

After 30 minutes he decided that it must have fallen into my friend's handbag - he asked her to check (which she did), and then accused her of stealing his phone when she said it wasn't in her bag! After about 50 minutes I swung my feet under my own chair and found it, so my friend passed it to him: not a single word of thanks.

Thankfully he had the decency not to return after the interval. I know if can be frustrating if you don't know where your phone is at any given time (especially considering the cost of iPhones), but once the curtain goes up and you can't find it after 5 minutes, there's nothing left to do but wait until the interval, surely?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#1903 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 09 June 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Saw Viva Forever during the week, and the guy next to my friend dropped his phone 2 minutes into the opening number. He stood up, he crouched down on the floor, he banged the seats in front, he shone a torch on his friend's phone etc trying to find it. I timed him - he spent the first 30 minutes looking for it - gradually becoming verbally annoyed he couldn't find it.

After 30 minutes he decided that it must have fallen into my friend's handbag - he asked her to check (which she did), and then accused her of stealing his phone when she said it wasn't in her bag! After about 50 minutes I swung my feet under my own chair and found it, so my friend passed it to him: not a single word of thanks.

Thankfully he had the decency not to return after the interval. I know if can be frustrating if you don't know where your phone is at any given time (especially considering the cost of iPhones), but once the curtain goes up and you can't find it after 5 minutes, there's nothing left to do but wait until the interval, surely?
I can understand why handing the phone back would aid your enjoyment of the show, but wouldn't it have been tempting to send the phone scuttling forward three rows with a kick whilst you swung your feet under your chair

#1904 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

This conversation reminds me of a time when I was flying back from the USA & I had a window seat with a bit more than the standard knee room, thought I was going to have the 2 seats to myself, until right at the last minute a lady who must have been around size 30+ sat next to / on me, buckled up using an extension of some kind, promptly fell asleep and snored for the entire journey, apart from when "food" was served, which she woke up to eat & fell asleep again.  Subsequently I spent the entire journey jammed into half of my seat & couldn't be moved because the flight was full..... dont get me wrong, I am not slender/svelt I am a size 16/18, but this was entirely ridiculous :(
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 179 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#1905 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 09 June 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

I can understand why handing the phone back would aid your enjoyment of the show, but wouldn't it have been tempting to send the phone scuttling forward three rows with a kick whilst you swung your feet under your chair

I thought about it, but then thought that I'd probably cry myself if I lost an iPhone. I find my concience is getting the better of me a lot more as I grow up!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#1906 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

I was watching Priscilla at the Manchester Opera House a while back and a massive fight broke out a few rows back, it was a woman attacking a bloke behind because he was whooping during the end of a song, it became quite nasty and they were all thrown out.

#1907 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hah reminds me of the "whooping" that regularly accompanied Ramin Karimloo at his concerts and shows; used to drive me to distraction

#1908 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

I just saw Tobacco Factory's The Two Gentlemen of Verona. Whilst Piers Wehner as Proteus said the line "For Orpheus' lute was strung with poets' sinews" during Act 3 Scene 2 a mobile went off loud and clear.

Thankfully Piers went on. He even changed the next line "Whose golden touch could soften steel and stones" to "Whose golden touch could soften steel and telephones".
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#1909 Carly

Carly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I was sat on row A of the dress circle, for Ghost at Leeds Grand last night,  and a lady about 5 seats down the row was sat with her bare feet right up on the front barrier for almost the whole of the second half. I'm just glad I wasn't sat next to her... :/

#1910 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Went to see Chimerica the other day and was getting REALLY annoyed by the person with a persistent hacking cough throughout one of the scenes. I know people get ill but sometimes you have to accept you are too ill to be in the theatre.

Then I realised the coughing was supposed to be one of the characters in the next room to Benedict Wong :unsure:
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users