2316 replies to this topic

#1911 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

I had the dubious 'joy' of being at an amateur production of Oliver yesterday and nearly witnessed those in front of me come to blows...proud granny and granddad were snapping away on paparazzi sized cameras for the first 30 minutes or so when the woman next to them lost it. Admittedly it was distracting and the need for two large cameras both with loud sound effect and very bright flash was very distracting.

A fine line though between the 'expected' less than perfect behavior for a school hall production (frankly the kids behind me who didn't stay in their seats for more than 3 minutes at a time were far more distracting) and general good behavior that considers your fellow audience member (who in this case is also probably there watching their little darling)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#1912 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

RSC As You Like It: one phone in first minute, many , many flashes of camera before the start, seemed acceptable. In the proggie it says photos not permitted during the performance. I said on the other thread that house was full of kids - impeccably behaved I add here.

#1913 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm not sure if this is 'bad behaviour', but last week at the tour of 'Ghost' the first half was ruined by some severely handicapped people making very distracting loud noises the whole way through.  Second half wasn't so bad but as we were in the circle and the noise was from the stalls I don't know if the person/s left or had just calmed down.

#1914 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostJME52K, on 25 June 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

I'm not sure if this is 'bad behaviour', but last week at the tour of 'Ghost' the first half was ruined by some severely handicapped people making very distracting loud noises the whole way through.  Second half wasn't so bad but as we were in the circle and the noise was from the stalls I don't know if the person/s left or had just calmed down.

I had a similar experience a year or so ago in Bournemouth when I saw the Three Phantoms.  I complained to the management but they told me there was nothing could be done as they had paid for a ticket...errrr.....so had I.  It's a very tricky one as far be it for me to suggest certain members of the community should not be allowed to enjoy a show but it did ruin my evening as there was constant "mooing" throughout the show.

#1915 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yesterday at Jermyn Street a family in front of me read the programme then passed it along for the next person to read during the show, which I've seen done before and not taken offence at but here found distracting as they were in the relatively well-lit front row of a small theatre.  I also forgot that when I went to The Weir pretty much on the 1hr45 mark a couple had an appointment to keep/decided it wasn't for them/took offence at the play and went to leave but were sat slap bang in the middle of the back row of the circle, so both ways were blocked.  Cleverly, then, they decided the way which would distract fewest people would be to climb over the back rail, which since I was standing rather took my attention for the two minutes or so they were doing it and I did notice a couple of glances upwards from the cast that seemed out of character.  However, I'd also like to say I went with someone who (this is why single theatre-going is better) nearly fainted half way through and the Donmar staff dealt with this so quietly and easily that even I barely noticed, so well done to them.

#1916 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 25 June 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

I had a similar experience a year or so ago in Bournemouth when I saw the Three Phantoms.  I complained to the management but they told me there was nothing could be done as they had paid for a ticket...errrr.....so had I.  It's a very tricky one as far be it for me to suggest certain members of the community should not be allowed to enjoy a show but it did ruin my evening as there was constant "mooing" throughout the show.

I understand that some shows are now offering performances especially for disabled people, the  autistic, and people with other problems as they and the parents and carers are well aware of the difficulty. It is a shame if someone can't go to the theatre because he / she moves about in an uncontrolled way or makes noises but in fact has the intellectual ability to enjoy it, so let's hope the idea spreads.

#1917 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

I was at NT matinee for Othello yesterday & some woman was rustling in her bag and eating rice cakes. They are one of the vilest things to attack my nasal passages. I know it's all personal but WHY do people feel the need to eat at all during a show? Even if it had been something I liked the smell of I still find it offensive and disrespectful that someone canj't go a couple of hours without munching and crunching their way through food.
Also 2 old dears sat behind me kept referring to Rory Kinnear as Greg Kinnear and saying how much they liked him in Hausmans. What was making me chuckle more than the fact they'd got Rory's name wrong was how they didnt seem the type to watch films with Greg in. Maybe they were 70yrs+ US comedy film fans! Just made me snigger a bit.

#1918 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 27 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I was at NT matinee for Othello yesterday & some woman was rustling in her bag and eating rice cakes. They are one of the vilest things to attack my nasal passages.

I get the same feeling from the smell of popcorn, I don't know why but it makes me nauseous. Needless to say visits to the cinema are pretty much out.

#1919 theatrejunkie

theatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

I feel like its not a theatre show unless you have someone trying to slyly open their sweet/crisp bag. Had an elderly man 4 rows in front of me today for amen corner matinee just constantly going into his bag digging for gold it seemed. He even dozed off for a bit and gave one loud snore. Thankfully the man next to him put paid to that with a few words

I actually cannot remember the last time I was able to watch a show in peace. Whenever i want to take a swig from drink i either wait for scene change or lots of laughter. I reserve all food eating until interval

#1920 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

Mostly silent for The Cripple of Innishmaan yesterday matinee apart from coughing but I realised it was Daniel Radcliffe lol, although after his first coughing bout there were a few members of audience that reciprocated, like a Mexican coughing wave. But it wasnt anything distracting as after a minute it all settled and coughs were stifled (apart from Radcliffe's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users