2316 replies to this topic

#1961 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

OMG you can't have lights popping on and off!

Mobile 2x this evening in Olivier in the very quietest scene. Audience gasped with horror.

#1962 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Phone went off during Phantom of the Opera last night, lots of talking; both my son & I "shushed" the family behind who kept talking loudly in Spanish. A group of people towards the back of stalls were told to "shut up" quite loudly by people who were clearly fed up with their talking (not even whispering), it was away from where I was sat but I could clearly hear them. Two girls next to me commenting on everything and during Prima Donna appeared to be 'singing' various roles.  They were also discussing everything that was happening including very loudly saying "I'm actually underneath the chandelier" numerous times. Also a real log jam in centre of the row I was in a couple of minutes before curtain up, 3 above mentioned girls entered from the wrong side, 4 American tourists entered from the other side also incorrectly, they all met in the middle stepping on people's feet in the process.
I try to avoid Her Majesty's  for these very reasons but my son loves the show & whilst the tour was on I'd managed to avoid the London show. Glad it was Kids Week so cheap tickets. I must add the kids I saw were very well behaved

#1963 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

I was in the Globe the other week and someone actually TOOK A CALL on his mobile. Amazed the ushers didn't notice it, they were too busy glaring at groundlings.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#1964 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Only excuse is if he was organ transplant surgeon but I guess they have a special signal?

#1965 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hope he wasn't as he watched the rest of the play :o

#1966 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

At the theatre today a woman sitting 3 seats down from me was clearly not feeling well during the interval, as her husband plus a couple of ushers were fussing round her. She didn't want to leave so the ushers suggested she moved to an aisle seat, but she refused to do that either. About 15 minutes into Act 2 she was worse & had to be helped out by her husband, ushers & a first aider. This naturally caused considerable disruption. Myself and 2 other audience members had to vacate the row & the rows behind must have had their view completely blocked. I know anyone can be taken ill but surely the sensible response is to either leave or move somewhere where you can leave from unobtrusively later. It seems selfish to remain where you are knowing that you might well then have to leave & disturb people during the performance.

#1967 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Color Purple this afternoon- a squabble between two rows halfway through Act 1. One row had some rather loud folk in it -whooping thoughout, chatting etc - and people in the row behind asked them to be quiet. Cue tussle as the show was going on, a people standing up, swapping seats etc. Usher came in and waved her arms at the them, signalling that they sit down and shut up. Then a further argument during the interval, usher split them up (there were a few empty seats, despite it being technically sold out), one woman seemed visibly upset.

Also, next to me was a woman who I can only best describe as Beverly from Abigail's Party. An overdressed, over-tanned lady who (with her very large husband, meaning we were nearly sitting on each other) laid out cocktail nibbles on her lap (nuts, mini-cheddars etc) and nibbled her way through the show, complete with 3 glasses of wine.And she offered me some several times, mid-show. I declined. Frequently in tears so she kept on rustling taking tissues out her handbag, and often talking to her husband (and showing him signs of affection) and other friends, as well as muttering to herself about what was going on onstage ("don't do that" "good answer" "yes, leave him!" etc). And whooping when, in a scene of domestic abuse, the man pulled down his trousers.

Finally (I was unlucky in the performance I attended) a stage management faux-pas. Very quiet moment near the end of the first act, a walkie-talkie went off.

#1968 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

Dawn - I agree at the minimum she should have moved to the aisle seat

Pn2 - sounds exciting !

#1969 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

What an evening, PN2 - you certianly see life. The Abigail character sounds priceless - why didn't you accept any of the nibbles? On the basis of if you can't beat them, join them.

Had lots of chitty chatty in Sweet Bird tonight - irritating.

#1970 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostLynette, on 17 August 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Had lots of chitty chatty in Sweet Bird tonight - irritating.
I had a fair bit when I was there Wednesday, including a man telling his wife, "How can you not know who Heavenly is?! If you weren't so bloody deaf we wouldn't have these problems!" as the second half started.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users