2316 replies to this topic

#2001 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Guy in the matinee of Arturo Ui this afternoon spent the ENTIRE first act playing with his phone, texting and looking at the web.

He was the other side of the ramp from me so I had to out up with it. Complained to an usher in the interval who had a word and no sign of the phone in act 2 so well done to the foh staff
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2002 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Awful audience at the Almeida tonight for Ghosts. Phones going off, phones vibrating, facebook alerts, chattering, a group of young women who laughed hysterically loud at everything, often at inappropriate moments - if this was to make everyone think you were clever, you were wrong, idiots. I expected more from the Almeida, I despair at times.
I dread to think what American Pyscho will be like with all the fan girls.

#2003 gabfree407

gabfree407

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

This happened to me long time ago. I'm watching Les Miserables play. The two people sitting beside me are talking in each other about what happened on their day in their work. I really got pissed off on that two people sitting beside me. If they  are not interested in the play then it is better for them to get out on that theater than bothering other people watching because of their chatting.

#2004 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 20 November 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Awful audience at the Almeida tonight for Ghosts. Phones going off, phones vibrating, facebook alerts, chattering, a group of young women who laughed hysterically loud at everything, often at inappropriate moments - if this was to make everyone think you were clever, you were wrong, idiots. I expected more from the Almeida, I despair at times.
I dread to think what American Pyscho will be like with all the fan girls.

Had a few people laughing wholly inappropriately at Ghosts last week, too. Not sure what it is that makes these people burst into hysterics, its certainly not being played for laughs most of the time!

#2005 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

I was also at Ghosts last night. The chattering was a nuisance but not a huge deal from where I was sitting on the far RHS. More annoying was that they chose to stage the pivotal final scene on the RHS of the stage where us in the cheap seats couldn't see what was happening!

#2006 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

At Once last night a phone went off with some kind of seagull sound ringtone in a really quiet scene towards the end. The cast just sat on stage stunned for a moment.

I've noticed phones going off has gotten a lot worse in this show. They can't do an announcement due to the performance starting with a pre show and all. But maybe they should think about putting up a "phones off" sign at the entrances to the auditorium or something. Not that I expect this to erase the phone problem completely but at least a slight improvement would be nice.

#2007 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

There is always a way of doing it! Neon signs, bleeps in the interval, flashing signs in the bar; people telling you as you go in ( tho this not so successful in Royal Ct or Donmar in the past) programme notes, on the tickets, FOH patrolling the seats and telling people. Where there's a will....

#2008 Music Man

Music Man

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

I recall someone saying that there was potentially software available that could "block" mobile phone signals whist in theatres etc. that would seem like the ideal solution to me.

Love the theatre so much but have found behaviour is getting worse. Talking, eating, phones, going to the loo midway through a performance and don't get me started on cinemas.

#2009 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostMusic Man, on 24 November 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

I recall someone saying that there was potentially software available that could "block" mobile phone signals whist in theatres etc. that would seem like the ideal solution to me.

There is but it's illegal in Britain. Except, I think, in prisons.

#2010 Music Man

Music Man

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Well if it is illegal it shouldn't be.

When I part with £60 of my hard earned cash I don't not expect the evenings entrainment by phones ringing or buzzing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users