2316 replies to this topic

#21 comaweng

comaweng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

One wonders how long it will be before a show gets interrupted by a vuvuzela. *BUZZ!*

#22 Guest_Fred C_*

Guest_Fred C_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

Again, further stories concern mostly WE musicals - apart from After the Dance we've had Phantom, Fair, WWRY and Never Forget (+ another Wicked) added to the above list. Do those shows attract a high proportion of ignorant selfish gits?

#23 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

A lot depends on the theatre & FOH staff.

At Wicked, they really don't seem to care about the show & it is almost a cinema like atmosphere. The show begins abrubtly, whether everyone is seated or not & there seems to be no admission policy, with people wandering to their seats late, nipping out to the loos etc. Last time I was there a member of staff even walked across the front of the dress circle shortly after the start of Act 2, trailing a bin bag of rubbish!

I was impresssed at Mamma Mia though. Staff there were present throughout the show, seating latecomers discreetly & quietly at suitable times, watching the audience & reacting where necessary. A family with a wriggly child were asked to be quieter or leave when they were clearly disturbing those around them, and in the interval I saw a lady who had been getting into the spirit a bit too much told that she couldn't be served any more alcohol at the bar.

Those two are extremes, but I do think that theatres that "police" the audience a bit are treating their performers with the respect they deserve.

#24 Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*

Guest_Guest_woodpusher_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(Fred C @ Jun 15 2010, 10:24 PM) View Post
Again, further stories concern mostly WE musicals - apart from After the Dance we've had Phantom, Fair, WWRY and Never Forget (+ another Wicked) added to the above list. Do those shows attract a high proportion of ignorant selfish gits?

Judging by the assaults on FoH staff on such shows, the answer is yes.

#25 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

Maybe we should all suggest the badly behaved audience members go to see Filter's Twelfth Night which is currently on tour.  There was plenty of audience participation to keep them happy, and the cast even brought in takeaway pizza for the stalls to eat half way through!

#26 Cady

Cady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:52 PM

Oh Gosh my pet peeve in the theatre rude rude theatre goers. Lets be honest here the type that act inappopriately are usually are not regular theatre goers..so dont have the etiquette. I find that at weekend performances the crowds tends to be a bit more relaxed shall we say. My worst one was lloooong time ago when I was about 13 and went to see Starlight Express, which I loved at that time and had awesome seats in stalls. I had this German tourist girl behind me I swear she knew the whole liberetto by heart and sang to every song, but I got so fed up, and after enduring her for 15 mins said " I am sorry but I came to see/ hear the actors sing, not you, can you please stop singing its annoying". She did stop. Now of course Id be a bit more diplomatic, but when you are 13 things like that just can come out:)))). The recent worse one was in Oliver a Saturday matinee, and I swear the amount of people sat there munching on sweets and rustling bags. One old gentleman, sat there eating crisps  veryy slowly and I mean very slowllly and not just any crisps but KETTLE chips imagine it.. I had sick visions of smacking these people on the head lightly with my souvenir programme:)))I did not enjoy the production as much as I would have... Seriously theatre is more exclusive and more upmarket then a regular cinema trip.. I know theatre make a lot of money from food and drink sales, but I am against theatres allowing people bringing food !!! Ahhhhh rant over.. smile.gif

#27 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

3 people got up and walked out mid way through an act from the 2nd or 3rd row at Chicago tonight, and could be heard talking as they exited the foyer. Rude. It was an understudy's first show too, important for a lot of people there. Thankfully this didn't happen while she was on stage...

#28 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Did anyone else see the afternoon interview with Simon Russell Beale at the NT a couple of weeks ago? Seemingly leaving your mobile phone on in the auditorium is OK when it's not actually a play going on...SRB was very polite about it but by the sixth or seventh different ring, you'd think some people might have actually checked their own phones.

#29 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Mobile phones

The other night person next to me the was clutching her phone and checking it every other minute causing the light to keep coming on. At the interval I complained to the deputy manager who asked her to switch it off and put it away. Why go to the theatre if all you're interested in is looking for text messages?

Drinks and food

Theatres should stop the audience taking food and drink into the auditorium. Who wants to sit next to some oik slurping beer and then have to put up their beery breath? Some of the comments here defy belief. On another thread someone said as soon as their show began the people beside them got out a burgers and chips to eat!

Heads

Keep them still and don't lean forward if you're in the circle.

Latecomers
Arrgh!!

#30 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

This isn't West End but Broadway.
I was in New York last week and saw Next to Normal. I was thrilled to see a sign on the doors saying "No food or drink allowed in the auditorium", however, this didn't stop people with chewing gum. I had two people sat behind me, chewing all the way through it. Personally, I think chewing gum should be banned from life as I get incredibly irritated by it in general, but it's extremely rude to sit through a 2 and a half hour show and chew gum very loudly all the way through. Like I said, no problem with real food or drink, but why do people feel the need to chew gum?

I also saw Wicked and had the person next to me checking her phone every 5 minutes during the first act and then during the second act was constantly flicking through her playbill using her phone as a light. Very rude, why pay all that money to look at the playbill, read it when you get home or during the interval!
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users