- - - - -

Bad Behaviour At A Show

• Please log in to reply
2320 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

Last week I was in the circle at Wicked and there was a girl sitting in front me looking very bored. She kept moving her head around, leaning forward and then sitting backwards. When she had her back to the chair she kept flicking her head so her hair was hitting off my knee. Very annoying! Also when one person leans forward they block the view of the person behind them. That person usually then has to move their head to the side to see around them, blocking the view of the person behind them. See my point? And I know it's hot but don't fan yourself with your brochure when I'm trying to enjoy the show wink.gif

#32 flying_free

flying_free

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

The other night at Hair some woman a couple of rows behind me had her bare feet up on the chair in front during the interval  mellow.gif

#33 Guest_Guest_James_*_*

Guest_Guest_James_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Sorry to say it's not just musicals.
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour at the NT someone sat infront of me eating a McDonalds.
Enron - running commentry from the American woman to her husband behind
Late Middle Classses someone texting throughout Act 1 (they didnt return for Act2)
Ghost Stories - a group of girls who sat in centre stalls because they were better than the seats they had and refused to move until FOH staff gave them the option to move or leave
London Assurance - young couple in front row of circle eating each others faces off all the way through the show

The other bug bear for me is the people who arrive in a cramped auditorium with the 20 carrier bags from their day's shopping expedition on Oxford St

#34 lovestheatre

lovestheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

When I saw Never Forget in 2008, it was the finale and a load of people behind us just sat there, not talking or clapping or standing, just sitting there and not....doing anything. I know that isn't bad behavior but it was just really odd...if they knew they wouldn't enjoy it then why did they come?

Wicked - a child was opening her sweets REALLY LOUDLY and then spoke VERY LOUDLY to her mother saying that she couldn't hear! I wonder why?!

#35 MasculineToast

MasculineToast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

One thing that annoys me occurs at the end of a performance when the majority of the auditorium are giving a standing ovation
It's the people who don't join in and make their dissaproval of those who do apparant by tutting and loudly moaning that they can't see . .
The show has finished, they're only bowing.
I don't have a problem with people who don't stand up, I get that it's a personal choice, but if other people decide that they do want to then this should be an equaly acceptabe choice.
everything is better with glitter :)

#36 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

There were about half a dozen or so people standing at The Prisoner of Second Avenue preview a couple of weeks ago that I thought was a bit OTT. I bet if another actor who was not a Hollywood star had put in the same performance, they would not have done it. (Maybe they were big Jurassic Park fans.)
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#37 Guest_BD_*

Guest_BD_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(lovestheatre @ Jul 19 2010, 08:12 PM) View Post
When I saw Never Forget in 2008, it was the finale and a load of people behind us just sat there, not talking or clapping or standing, just sitting there and not....doing anything. I know that isn't bad behavior but it was just really odd...if they knew they wouldn't enjoy it then why did they come?

How do you know they 'knew' they wouldn't enjoy it? Maybe they thought they would, and were disappointed that it was rubbish.

#38 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

I saw a production of Fiddler on the Roof at The Savoy. Next to me was a man and his wife and (presumably) his or her mother who gave a running commentry from the moment an actor appeared on stage. So throughout Tradition it was "Oh, he's a butcher" "Oh, looK at her hair" "Oh, he's pushing a cart" SHUT UP! I moved. To this day I remain unclear if my frustration was over this, or the fact that she was just so oblivious to the death stares. Grrr!

I recently saw Love Never Dies with my parents visiting from abroad and was extremely conscious of the fact that my father who had caught a bad chest cold was coughing thoughout, admittingly into a napkin to muffle the sound. However my concerns over his coughing paled into nothing when the guy in front came back from intermission with, you guessed it, a drink with ice cubes in it that he proceed to throw back and chew and crunch throughout Act II.

I also saw Henry IV-Part 1 at The Globe and had 5 cheapie standing tickets. Now you gotta admit that Shakespeare is not always the easiest to follow, at the best of times and this was a history play, not a comedy. So we were standing, it was hot and we were really concentrating just to 'get' it. These two young women turned up in the middle of the first act, with (again I'm assuming) one of the womens parents. The women shoved in front of us and them proceeded to make out! Yep, you read it right.

Hello people! This is Shakespere. I don't want to turn this into a 'oh, he's slagging lesbians' thing here, because I really don't have a problem with how you choose to live your life (not that there's anything wrong with that-aka Seinfeld) however I do have a problem with the fact that there is the appropriate time and place. Go to a park, hell even get a room, but please not in Shakespeare! Is it just me who can see a problem with this? No, they didn't return for the second act.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#39 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Anthony @ Jul 20 2010, 01:34 PM) View Post
Hello people! This is Shakespere. I don't want to turn this into a 'oh, he's slagging lesbians' thing here, because I really don't have a problem with how you choose to live your life (not that there's anything wrong with that-aka Seinfeld) however I do have a problem with the fact that there is the appropriate time and place. Go to a park, hell even get a room, but please not in Shakespeare! Is it just me who can see a problem with this? No, they didn't return for the second act.

Very procarious link here but at the moment I am working on a outdoor production of Antony & Cleopatra (as Stage Manager), after the show me and my ASM have to clear the stage - as you do - and found two people sat in the audience that we said we'd start to pack away when they moved. Unfortunately, they started making out for a couple of minutes.. Least they did that at the end of the show, rather than during it!

#40 Guest_JN_*

Guest_JN_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Last night's brilliant production of La Bete almost ruined by extremely obese American guy next to me who a) forced me to lean right all the way through to avoid his corpulence (fortunately the guy that side was both normal-sized and understanding), cool.gif hummed incessantly while awake and asleep, c) fell asleep after 2 minutes and snored loudly, alternating with humming until his wife poked him, at which points he jerked awake and flailed around for several seconds causing me to duck out of the way innumerable times, d)kicked his glass of wine all over my feet when leaving. Couldn't complain to staff as no interval! Couldn't complain to him as he wasn't awake for more than 5 minutes in the entire 1hr 45mins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users