#41 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(MasculineToast @ Jul 19 2010, 09:33 PM) View Post
One thing that annoys me occurs at the end of a performance when the majority of the auditorium are giving a standing ovation
It's the people who don't join in and make their dissaproval of those who do apparant by tutting and loudly moaning that they can't see . .
The show has finished, they're only bowing.
I don't have a problem with people who don't stand up, I get that it's a personal choice, but if other people decide that they do want to then this should be an equaly acceptabe choice.

I agree about standing ovations at the end - sometimes they don't seem very genuine to me but each to their own.  However some people do occasionally do it it after songs in the middle of an act, and then it's clearly a 'look at me' moment and damn the people behind me.

#42 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

Oh, I didn't think much of the audience at La Bete last night AT ALL. First there was a very rude man in the bar, shouting rudely "I've asked politely!" over and over again and not really being AT ALL convincing. Then there were some late-comers who decided to play musical chairs and spend the entire play whispering. There was a girl next to me with at least five bangles on one wrist who just couldn't keep her arms still. And there was a couple over to the left sat a few rows apart who were sharing a bottle of water, by the looks of it. Why can't people just SIT DOWN and BE QUIET?

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#43 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

I think every "unofficial" review I've read of La Bete has mentioned how annoying the audience were. Oh dear. Hope the production itself makes it worthwhile. I suspect this is also one play that might be popular with the dreaded over-laughers? At London Assurance there was a man behind me who didn't so much laugh as literally shout "HA!" followed by a single, very loud, clap of his hands.

When I saw After the Dance a couple next to me turned up ten minutes late, and proceeded to have a stage-whispered discussion about which of them it was who was responsible for mis-reading the ticket and thinking that it started at 14:30 rather than 14:15. I saw a matinee The White Guard a few days later from precisely the same seat, and at the start the same two seats next to me were empty. I was fully expecting the same couple to turn up! They didn't, though - the seats were empty for the whole performance. (Maybe they thought it was an evening show? wink.gif)

#44 comaweng

comaweng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Jul 21 2010, 04:34 PM) View Post
Oh, I didn't think much of the audience at La Bete last night AT ALL. [...] Why can't people just SIT DOWN and BE QUIET?

Because they're selfish and stupid and lack common sense and personal dignity.

QUOTE(Anthony @ Jul 20 2010, 01:34 PM) View Post
I also saw Henry IV-Part 1 at The Globe [...] These two young women turned up in the middle of the first act, with (again I'm assuming) one of the womens parents. The women shoved in front of us and them proceeded to make out! Yep, you read it right.

I've had a rudimentary glance at the laws on that sort of thing. Previously the couple would have been cautioned for 'indecent exposure'. These days it is members of the audience that would be cautioned (in theory) for 'voyeurism'! What a world we live in these days!

That said, one website does point out that "there is always the risk, however, of prosecution for 'outraging public decency', an offence in common law. Which makes me wonder whether charges could be brought against some of these annoying people who grossly misbehave at shows.

#45 macca

macca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

There was a girl next to me with at least five bangles on one wrist who just couldn't keep her arms still.

You have hit on my current biggest irritant at the theatre - jingling, jangling, clackling bangles!  Those combined with chinking ice cubes gives the impression of being in the percussion section of an orchestra at times.

#46 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

I won't bore readers here with my pet aversions in audience behaviour, but I would have thought that the behaviour of the two women at the Globe would have been made more difficult if you had made things as unpleasant as you could for them - nudges in the back with feet come to mind - and if that didn't work go to one of the many attendants they have; many of them are what are usually called "mature" ladies who I am sure would deal with these incidents quite effectively.

PS I must admit that I had never come across the term "making out" before and discovered (inevitably I suppose) that it is American slang.  Nothing wrong with slang of course, but there are British expressions which can be quite effective.

#47 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

I think the worst behaviour I have seen recently is the booing of Earl Carpenter at the curtain call of Les Mis. It's what you would expect from a pantomime, whether Tongue in cheek or not, his performance did not warrant it. I wish people could separate an actor from a performance.

#48 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Saw the tour of Oklahoma today in Sheffield and an old woman behind me spent the first ten minutes russleing through a large carrier bag of sweets, each with individual wrappers. She then fell asleep and snored through the rest of the first act. There was someone else (I could quite locate the source!) who was humming the entire score, out of tune. The orchestra were one of the highlights of the show for me, I don't need someone joining in with them!
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#49 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Why can't people just Why can't people just SIT DOWN and BE QUIET?

Yes. Why can't people just SIT DOWN, SIT STILL and BE QUIET? !!!

#50 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(ptwest @ Jul 22 2010, 06:55 PM) View Post
I think the worst behaviour I have seen recently is the booing of Earl Carpenter at the curtain call of Les Mis. It's what you would expect from a pantomime, whether Tongue in cheek or not, his performance did not warrant it. I wish people could separate an actor from a performance.

This has happened to varying degrees everytime I've seen Les Mis in the last year. It happened to Mr Carpenter at Queens and he sneered at the audience wonderfully.  As you say it's out of order, and even if it was a pantomime, it's not as if Javert is a 'baddie' or an evil character.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users