- - - - -

Bad Behaviour At A Show

• Please log in to reply
2325 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

I think that people sometimes are disappointed when bad behaviour doesn't ensue.   I was at a performance of Prisoner of Second Avenue and had taken my seat well before the performance was due to start, and was reading a book on my mobile phone.  

The people sitting behind me started loudly discussing the fact that I was reading on my phone, speculating as to whether I was receiving reception and generally being very rude about it, considering that it would have been obvious that I could hear them.  Now, of course, I turned the phone off before the house lights went down, and I must admit that I shot them a glare as I did so.  

If someone is doing something distracting during a performance that's one thing and fully worthy of complaint, but there's no need to be rude when you don't know that is what is going to happen.

#52 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

The worst audience I ever encountered was at Welcome to Thebes at the National. I was sitting 4th row and had a pretty good view at the audience in the rows in front of me. There were three men in front row, all deep asleep, one even slept through the interval. Two seats next to me, another man was asleep, snoring very loudly. People behind me were talking and the woman in front of me kept checking her phone every 2 minutes.

#53 comaweng

comaweng

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 23 2010, 12:19 PM) View Post
If someone is doing something distracting during a performance that's one thing and fully worthy of complaint, but there's no need to be rude when you don't know that is what is going to happen.

Oh I quite agree. I had the opposite experience: one time a lady apologised to me for answering the phone. I simply smiled and said 'That's okay' - but couldn't think why she felt it necessary to say sorry. It was about 15 minutes before curtain up and it was only her friend saying there were train delays and she'd only just arrived and was now in a queue at the box office.

QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 23 2010, 08:52 PM) View Post
There were three men in front row, all deep asleep, one even slept through the interval.

I must confess I have never seen someone sleep through an interval. Did they have to be spoken to at the end and asked to leave the theatre?

#54 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(comaweng @ Jul 24 2010, 08:50 AM) View Post
I must confess I have never seen someone sleep through an interval. Did they have to be spoken to at the end and asked to leave the theatre?

First time I ever saw that! I've seen people asleep at other shows but never during the interval and usually not in front row either! We had to leave right after curtain call so I'm not sure but I saw him still deep asleep shortly before the play ended so that might actually be the case!

#55 Guest_Guest_Kate_*_*

Guest_Guest_Kate_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

At Blood Brothers I sat next to a couple who could not keep their hands off each other.  It made me feel extremely awkward, especially at the end of the show - so inappropriate!

We also had some tourists next to us at Mamma Mia who spoke in a foreign language to each other the entire way through.  They'd obviously just come to hear the ABBA songs.  Very annoying.

#56 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

The worst audience I ever encountered was at Welcome to Thebes at the National. I was sitting 4th row and had a pretty good view at the audience in the rows in front of me. There were three men in front row, all deep asleep, one even slept through the interval. Two seats next to me, another man was asleep, snoring very loudly. People behind me were talking and the woman in front of me kept checking her phone every 2 minutes.

I am very jealous of the people who were asleep. It would have been preferable to seeing such an awful Play.

#57 Red Momma

Red Momma

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Musical Theatre, my garden and my large family.
    I also enjoy travelling

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Don't know about bad behaviour, but at the Richmond Theatre, watching Rocky Horror Show, a large part of Japanese? girls arrived about 45 minutes late to great kerfuffle, taking coats off, hanging them of the backs of (my) seat etc. Eventually they settled down and then we began to see why they were late - a very fruity scent of Wagamamas choice menu began to waft over us.
They surrounded us and there was no where we could go.  As the stench moved through the theatre, you could see it meeting other parts of the audience.
Unbelievable!!

#58 fairycake

fairycake

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Red Momma @ Jul 25 2010, 11:26 AM) View Post
Don't know about bad behaviour, but at the Richmond Theatre, watching Rocky Horror Show, a large part of Japanese? girls arrived about 45 minutes late to great kerfuffle, taking coats off, hanging them of the backs of (my) seat etc. Eventually they settled down and then we began to see why they were late - a very fruity scent of Wagamamas choice menu began to waft over us.
They surrounded us and there was no where we could go. As the stench moved through the theatre, you could see it meeting other parts of the audience.
Unbelievable!!

Bad behaviour? That's vile. They shouldn't have been let in.

#59 Guest_Jack_*

Guest_Jack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Did we need to know they were Japanese? Or was that part of your displeasure?

#60 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

No, I'm pretty sure the poster had a problem with the stench they sent around the theatre and not their race. I don't see how mentioning that they could be Japanese leads to him being rude?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users