Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(Red Momma @ Jul 26 2010, 11:40 PM) View Post
LOL
Thanks you are one of the saner ones
Next thing we know the PC brigade will be telling us that "I want to be in America" from West side Story is Racist.

Thanks.

Keep the stories coming folks!!!

#82 Prima Donna

Prima Donna

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hmm, I've seen a few posts mentioning people leaning forward, and I'm guilty of this.

I went to see Phantom a few weeks ago and was sitting in the front row of the dress circle (royal circle at HMT, I think). The thick velvet covered bar/wall in front of me was so high that I couldn't see the stage AT ALL unless I leaned forward. I was constantly aware that by leaning forward I was probably blocking some of the view of the people behind me, but I thought that as I had paid just as much as them for the ticket, I should get to see *something* at least.

In a case like that, rather than blaming the poor audience member (both of whom are losing out - believe me, it wasn't the most comfortable way of viewing a show), shouldn't it be the theatre's responsibility to make sure that we can actually see the stage from where we're sitting?

#83 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(M.D @ Jul 26 2010, 04:21 PM) View Post
I sat behind Kerry Ellis in Wicked once, she was bloody annoying.. pretty much reenacted the whole show in her seat, have you any idea how annoying it is to see someone do NGD in their seat!! Was tempted to smack her in the head and say stop...

It's so annoying when people do that. You'd think she'd know better. Maybe she was missing being on stage herself and felt very much 'in the moment' *lol*.

May I ask when this was? Saw her in the audience last cast change and people went crazy when they saw her. But then the whole thing was mental anyway...

#84 Guest_Jack_*

Guest_Jack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Red Momma @ Jul 26 2010, 10:40 PM) View Post
LOL
Thanks you are one of the saner ones
Next thing we know the PC brigade will be telling us that "I want to be in America" from West side Story is Racist.

It doesn't make me part of the so called (often, may it be said, by bigots) "PC Brigade" to ask what I did. Weez understood it. If they were english school children would you have said their race? It was totally superfluous. I'm guilty of it myself, in the past i've found myself moaning about spanish schoolchildren talking loudly during Mary Poppins, when really it was the talking that irked me, regardless of their nationality.

Anyway, sorry if i've derailed the thread slightly. badly behaved audiences are one of my biggest peeves. If I ever own a theatre I'd be tempted to have highly trained marksmen above the proscenium arch, ready to fire tranqulising darts into the neck of anyone who talks in order to knock them out for the rest of the show.

It's such a selfish thing to do. Recently I've encountered two instances of badly behaved people complaining to the manager and kicking up a fuss when they've been told off for acting badly, too. During Eigengrau at the Bush the lady next to us was being a right pain, talking to her husband and checking her mobile phone, before leaving to go to the toilet (which she announced to pretty much the whole theatre as she walked across the stage). Then when she wasn't allowed back in (as she had been warned) we all heard her kicking up a fuss against the usher outside, and afterwards she was stropping about it downstairs. Similarly at the RSC Courtyard recently, there was a lady complaining afterwards that the Usher had shushed her when she was 'only talking'. In the middle of Romeo and Juliet's death scenes. It seems bad enough to be selfish to those around you in the first place, but particularly off to then not see what you were doing was wrong and to actively challenge people for objecting to it.

#85 Greeneyes

Greeneyes

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Prima Donna @ Jul 27 2010, 11:13 AM) View Post
Hmm, I've seen a few posts mentioning people leaning forward, and I'm guilty of this.

I went to see Phantom a few weeks ago and was sitting in the front row of the dress circle (royal circle at HMT, I think). The thick velvet covered bar/wall in front of me was so high that I couldn't see the stage AT ALL unless I leaned forward. I was constantly aware that by leaning forward I was probably blocking some of the view of the people behind me, but I thought that as I had paid just as much as them for the ticket, I should get to see *something* at least.

In a case like that, rather than blaming the poor audience member (both of whom are losing out - believe me, it wasn't the most comfortable way of viewing a show), shouldn't it be the theatre's responsibility to make sure that we can actually see the stage from where we're sitting?

I can see both sides of this - it's fair enough if you can't see anything I suppose - it sounds like that seat shouldn't be sold at all.  However some people buy cheaper restricted view seats and then try to overcome the restriction by half standing up/leaning dramatically etc, and I don't think that's on.

#86 Cathryn

Cathryn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Fringe, drama, Shakespeare, green politics

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Prima Donna @ Jul 27 2010, 11:13 AM) View Post

Fair enough.    What did the theatre do when you complained?? Not being able to see at all sounds like a refund at least to me.

It's often worth checking theatremonkey.com to see if there is a problem with the seats.

#87 SteveL

SteveL

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

The theatres are at fault a lot of the time for selling high price seats that really shouldn't be sold at that price.

It happened to me at Priscilla. The first time I saw Priscilla I wasn't sure whether I would like it or not so I didn't buy the most expensive seats. I paid 45 for the seats and they were at the rear of the stalls. When seeing the show, a lot of it I had to watch on screens because you couldn't see from the top of the bus upwards.

Anyway, we liked the show so decided to see it again with better seats. I went to the box office and said I wanted 4 seats and they must NOT be restrictive view in any way.

They gave me row G and showed me it on the seating plan. We had the first 4 seats on the right. We went ot the show and straight away we could see that the first 2 seats were obstructed by the overhang for the top of the stage. I complained but they were not prepared to do anything and said we would have to wait to see what seats were available after the show started. I spent the whole performance ducking up and down to try and see as much as I could. It totally ruined it for me. Considering I had spent over 60 a ticket I would have expected to at least be able to see the show comfortably.
Miss Saigon x 14, Phantom of the Opera x 11, Dreamboats and Petticoats x 15, Priscilla Queen of the Desert x 7, Blood Brothers x 27, Love Never Dies x 8, Legally Blonde x 3, Sunset Boulevard x 4, Starlight Express x 7, Sister Act x 3, Flashdance x 5, We Will Rock You x 2, Sweet Charity x 2, Mamma Mia x 2, Les Miserables x 4, Ghost the Musical, Shrek the Musical, Smokey Joes Cafe, Billy Elliot, Jersey Boys, Fantastiks, Dirty Dancing x 2, Legacy Falls, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoats, Evita, Grease x 2, Wicked, The Rise and Fall of Little Voice, Calendar Girls x 2, Hairspray, Thriller x 2, Run for your Wife x 2, Avenue Q x 4, All The Fun Of The Fair, Aspects of Love, Deathtrap, Tap Dogs, Stomp, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Cats, The Lion King, Oliver, Chicago, The 39 Steps, Lend me a Tenor, Crazy for You, Carousel, An Inspector Calls, An Ideal Husband, Hair, Woman in Black

#88 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(SteveL @ Jul 27 2010, 01:18 PM) View Post
They gave me row G and showed me it on the seating plan. We had the first 4 seats on the right. We went ot the show and straight away we could see that the first 2 seats were obstructed by the overhang for the top of the stage. I complained but they were not prepared to do anything and said we would have to wait to see what seats were available after the show started. I spent the whole performance ducking up and down to try and see as much as I could. It totally ruined it for me. Considering I had spent over 60 a ticket I would have expected to at least be able to see the show comfortably.

I'd complain about your level of service in writing. I did, after having a similar experience, and got offered a free ticket.

My argument was essentially that I know the sightlines at the Palace are bad, and that's why I specifically bought in person at the box office, and was told my seat was a clear view. Now, maybe it would be a clear view for someone a foot taller than me (I couldn't see the front of the stage) but since the box office person could see that I'm not over 6 ft tall, they really should have realised that the viewing angle from that seat would not get me a clear view.

So, since you bought at the box office and specifically asked for a clear view they really should comp you.

#89 Prima Donna

Prima Donna

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Cathryn @ Jul 27 2010, 01:12 PM) View Post
Fair enough.    What did the theatre do when you complained?? Not being able to see at all sounds like a refund at least to me.

It's often worth checking theatremonkey.com to see if there is a problem with the seats.

I actually checked the monkey and the only problem I could find was that legroom is short (I'm 4'11, so no problem there) and that because the seats were slightly biased towards the left, a slight portion of that side of the stage was out of view at the back. All fine and dandy there.

What I should've taken note of was people in row B complaining that people in row A were constantly leaning forward, and that theatre staff had to be called to tell the row A people to sit back.

They wouldn't (couldn't) move me because the show was sold out, and I didn't think to press for a refund. Given that the reviews on theatremonkey state that people are just told to lean back, I don't think they would've offered a refund if I pressed for it.

TBH, me being so short could be the problem, but my 5'8 friend was struggling too.

I really did feel bad that I was probably obstructing some of the view for the people behind, but I thought we could share the bad view... rather than me having NO view and them having a GREAT view.

#90 SteveL

SteveL

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(Kathryn2 @ Jul 27 2010, 01:39 PM) View Post
I'd complain about your level of service in writing. I did, after having a similar experience, and got offered a free ticket.

My argument was essentially that I know the sightlines at the Palace are bad, and that's why I specifically bought in person at the box office, and was told my seat was a clear view. Now, maybe it would be a clear view for someone a foot taller than me (I couldn't see the front of the stage) but since the box office person could see that I'm not over 6 ft tall, they really should have realised that the viewing angle from that seat would not get me a clear view.

So, since you bought at the box office and specifically asked for a clear view they really should comp you.

I should have done at the time really. This was many weeks ago. I have seen it again since and did get excellent seats but then I pointed on their available seats where I wanted to sit.  What amazes me is that the third time I got Row H 14 and 15 which were absolutely brilliant seats. They were 65 9I think). But had I have gone for Row g (in front), they would have been nearly 100 (classed as premiums seats). I really couldn't see how that 1 Row closer would justify the extra 30.
Miss Saigon x 14, Phantom of the Opera x 11, Dreamboats and Petticoats x 15, Priscilla Queen of the Desert x 7, Blood Brothers x 27, Love Never Dies x 8, Legally Blonde x 3, Sunset Boulevard x 4, Starlight Express x 7, Sister Act x 3, Flashdance x 5, We Will Rock You x 2, Sweet Charity x 2, Mamma Mia x 2, Les Miserables x 4, Ghost the Musical, Shrek the Musical, Smokey Joes Cafe, Billy Elliot, Jersey Boys, Fantastiks, Dirty Dancing x 2, Legacy Falls, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoats, Evita, Grease x 2, Wicked, The Rise and Fall of Little Voice, Calendar Girls x 2, Hairspray, Thriller x 2, Run for your Wife x 2, Avenue Q x 4, All The Fun Of The Fair, Aspects of Love, Deathtrap, Tap Dogs, Stomp, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Cats, The Lion King, Oliver, Chicago, The 39 Steps, Lend me a Tenor, Crazy for You, Carousel, An Inspector Calls, An Ideal Husband, Hair, Woman in Black

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users