4 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:08 PM

Is John Rogan disabled then? He was acting brilliantly the part of the old father and then at the curtain call came on in the wheelchair with hands still clenched. Remarkable performance anyway.  Hasn't he played a lot of Irish parts? He was in the famous Iceman Cometh.

Nice play, very interesting counter to Tennessee Williams's The Glass Menagerie. Stockard Channing good, avoided the stereotype Jewish Bronx mother, unsentimental, if a little underpowered. But this an early show so it will deepen.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:22 PM

Lynette, the answer to your question is in Coveney's review of it on WOS.

#3 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

It's a shame Zoe Wanamaker couldn't have done the role here, she did it in NY last year. I'd be much more interested in seeing her than Channing.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

Thanks, Alexandra, that one I had certainly missed. He was really good. I thought it was a bit strange with the line about taking the dog on the roof and that' he slipped on the snow': the wheel chair being too much for that. I wiah him better luck.

#5 Guest_Guest_Skylight_*_*

Guest_Guest_Skylight_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

Gosh I had no idea.  He's one of those actors who gives solid performances in supporting roles whose face you recognise but whose name you can't necessarily recall.  He'll probably end up being more well known now!  He's got a great voice and if that's unaffected he should still work; very few roles include the stage direction 'X strides manfully across the stage'!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users