Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:11 PM

Im really looking forward to Troy but also The Sacrifice

It sounds like a new direction for her

The background
'It's set in Britain, in the future, in 2080, after there's been a social meltdown,' Katie Mitchell explains. 'Oil and gas supplies from the middle east have been cut off, so the nation has become incredibly important. The location is a building from the 1970s. We've tried to use just a few futuristic ingredients, especially in costume - just subtle details, like the cuffs.'
The idea was rooted in the famous 'Branwen' story from the Mabinogion. I (Michael Symmons Roberts) had been interested in the Mabinogion since living and working in Wales in the early 1990s, and the Branwen story of blood feuds, jealousies and family intrigues had always stuck with me.
Rooted in the oldest myths from the oral tradition of these islands, the Branwen story is about a long-standing enmity between the island of Britain and island of Ireland, and the attempt to broker a peace by arranging a marriage between prominent members of the two sides.
All four of us felt that the story had real power and potential, but we were equally certain that we didn't want to do a faithful retelling of a myth set in the ancient past. We came up with a structure that would use the basic elements of the Mabinogion story as foundation stones on which to build a drama set in modern Britain.

http://www.wno.org.uk/what.opera.150.html

With the exception of her recent Glyndebourne venture her success in opera is really quite great

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users