30 replies to this topic

#11 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 07 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

Ditto from me too. Uncle Vanya at the Young Vic was my entrée into Mitchell's Lewis Carroll of a mind, and I have willingly made the journey with her through several other Chekhovs, A Dream Play, Iphigenia and Waves. She has a glorious talent, and while she infuriates many she is undeniably original, bold and prepared to risk failure in the pursuit of her creative vision.

Can't wait for the Women of Troy. All that dingy-panelled decor, those back-to-us wooden chairs and widescreen tableaux waiting just around the corner... I can see them already. Just have a care for those sightlines, Katie.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

Theatresquirrel, I wasn't suggesting that Mitchell was using the chorus to illustrate women trapped in a male-dominated world, of course not. I was responding directly to a point made by Boob, who suggested that this was why they behaved as they did. Keep up! wink.gif

But you're wrong about the chorus not being intended to represent us.  That is precisely why they traditionally wear masks and long robes - because they are meant to be anonymous, objective bystanders like the audience, not individual characters within the play.  Compare the Common Man in Man for All Seasons. As for Hecuba - now you're talking! Much better, with much better acting, for my money.

Jan - you lucky s**.

#13 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hmmmm... I didn't think Higgins quite plummeted to the emotional depth required to make Hecuba truly sensational.  Kent has a reputation for not being the best director of female actors.  The production was, however, a beautiful and visually arresting interpretation.  I liked the approach... much better than Boswell's stab at the same play.  Urgh.

And yes, I made that point, not Alexandra.  My bad!  unsure.gif

#14 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

No no Boob, you weren't saying that was what a Greek chorus was for; you were saying that explained the behaviour of this particular chorus. It was a perfectly reasonable point which I understood, if others didn't smile.gif - I just disagreed.

But I honestly can't imagine how Higgins could have plummeted any deeper - she wrung me out. But there we are, you and I are not the same people and nor (probably) did we see it or Iphigenia the same night.

#15 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

'dingy-panelled decor' indeed; they do whole degrees in 'dingy', don't you know, Job?  rolleyes.gif

#16 Guest_Guest_Job_*_*

Guest_Guest_Job_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Sep 7 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post
'dingy-panelled decor' indeed; they do whole degrees in 'dingy', don't you know, Job?  rolleyes.gif

#17 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

(Don't know what happened there...)

I was going to say 'chiaroscuro', of course, but I realised I don't know how to spell it. So 'dingy' it has to be.

And watch out for artfully backlit willowy women too.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:53 PM

far too willowy
laugh.gif

#19 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:13 AM

"you're wrong about the chorus not being intended to represent us. That is precisely why they traditionally wear masks and long robes - because they are meant to be anonymous, objective bystanders like the audience, not individual characters within the play."

Erm, yes, AGREED - they're meant to be anonymous, objective bystanders, not individual characters. . . but that doesn't remotely mean they represent us. Don't know where you've got that idea from.

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

Not you and me as individuals, theatresquirrel, but the crowd, the public, therefore the audience. Where did I get that idea from? just my education, you don't need specifics. My point is that if they're intended as a certain section of the public (which they clearly were) but they aren't realistic, they don't fulfil their function properly for those of us who found them overacted. You are welcome to find them full of absolute truth however!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users