Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Sep 7 2007, 03:15 PM) View Post
Jan - you lucky s**.

Re: KM's "Uncle Vanya". Lucky ? Why ? It wasn't dificult to get tickets.

One great performance in it was Serebryakov (the Professor), typically this is played as if he really is some big high-powered Professor (I saw Eric Porter play it that way for example, you can imagine), but in this one he had the mannerisms and attitudes of a provincial headmaster - for example waiting with a pained look on his face until everyone else stopped speaking before he would deign to say anything. It made the fact that everyone else had sacrificed their lives for his benefit even more poignant.

Another thing I remember is that it was raining nearly the whole time.

#22 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

Lucky that you weren't out of the country for a lot of that year and too stupidly out of touch the rest of the time to sort yourself out and get tickets. Almost the only thing I managed to see that year was The Iceman Cometh. What was Dillane's Vanya like? Lynette, did you Olivier nominate or shortlist it, or were you too dazzled by Spacey? wink.gif

#23 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Sep 11 2007, 02:07 PM) View Post
Lucky that you weren't out of the country for a lot of that year and too stupidly out of touch the rest of the time to sort yourself out and get tickets. Almost the only thing I managed to see that year was The Iceman Cometh. What was Dillane's Vanya like? Lynette, did you Olivier nominate or shortlist it, or were you too dazzled by Spacey? wink.gif

Dillane was quite good, hidden behing a large beard. I thought he appeared a little too young for the role - but it was really an emsemble piece not a star vehicle (For example the Ian McKellan one around that same time was ruined by Antony Sher's usual "look at me" antics).

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

Dazzled, utterly. Trust me, he was a worthy winner. I did see everything, remember!

#25 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

Uncle Vanya at the Old Vic - random memories:

Stephen Dillane and Linus Roache were an effective but surprisingly young leading pair. Dillane's was a very introverted Vanya, so Roache's Astrov dominated the play.
Anastasia Hille was her usual inaudible self (although she's got a bit better lately) despite the intimacy of the in-the-round setting.
The first half was apparently set in an artificial flower-bed. Most disconcerting.
I sat opposite Miranda Richardson.
The lighting was dead atmospheric (i.e. dark, with the odd spot of lantern light).
In terms of Chekhovian mood it was streets ahead of the Derek Jacobi version that had a west end only a few months earlier.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

Thank you. Nice to know what I missed.  sad.gif

#27 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Sep 12 2007, 11:20 AM) View Post
Uncle Vanya at the Old Vic - random memories:

Job

Young Vic, of course. Credit where credit's due.

The real rarity for the Mitchellistas is her production of House of Bernarda Alba - I have never come across anyone who saw that.  

#28 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Sep 12 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post
The real rarity for the Mitchellistas is her production of House of Bernarda Alba - I have never come across anyone who saw that.

I remember Mitchell's production of Bernarda Alba at the Gate vividly - must have been about 15 years ago - very early in her directing career.  The use of the space was fantastic, giving a truly claustraphobic atmosphere.  Dinah Stabb was a formidable Bernarda, while Susan Brown brought a great deal of warmth to the role as the servant.  It also featured Alexandra Gilbreath as the youngest daughter (whose name I can't remember). However, what I do remember is Stephen Daldry acting as chief ticket tearer and usher - ah those were the days.

#29 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

No-one ever mentions Rutherford & Son. Cottesloe, 94 I think; wonderful production of a great piece. The sort of understatedness I didn't see again until The Jewish Wife. That, to me, is KM at her best. I was also pleased, in Rutherford, to see Bob Peck in a terrific stage role. Not long before, I'd seen him play Goldberg in a Birthday Party at the NT that didn't quite work, partly because he didn't quite work, so it was nice to see him sink his teeth into the Rutherford role. He died quite soon after.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#30 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Sep 12 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post
Young Vic, of course. Credit where credit's due.

Lawdy - did I really wrote 'OLD Vic? I'm the one getting old. Time I packed it in.

Thanks for the kick.

Job

With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users