#11 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

This was okay in parts but overall unsatisfying. As with previous Millers I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's just bad luck with the plays of his I've seen but I have yet to come away fully satisfied by one. I'm usually intrigued by the subject matter.

There was something flat about it, something missing. It had its moments but as a whole, for me, it didn't gel.

I often have an issue with Sher's stage work having a somewhat over-studied quality to it and unfortunately this was the case here. He seemed ill at ease but it was an early preview and maybe he'll warm up, I hope so anyway. Everyone else was good.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#12 bluebell

bluebell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

rolleyes.gif Went to see this play on Saturday .It was superbly acted by all the cast,but with particular mention to Anthony Sher.It is on at The Tricycle
Theatre until 27th Nov.

#13 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

There's a thread here too with some comments already. I wasn't very impressed by it and found Sher's performance a bit laboured.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#14 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

I know exactly what you mean about Sher's acting, but I really enjoyed this.  I thought it was a great piece of writing and Nigel Lindsay was the stand out acting wise for me.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#15 Guest_Then Suburbanite_*

Guest_Then Suburbanite_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(dude-1981 @ Oct 11 2010, 11:05 PM) View Post
Nigel Lindsay was the stand out acting wise for me.

I've seen him quite a few times and never seen a weak performance, he's very reliable.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the perennial guy on the outside looking in when it comes to Miller. A really intriguing premise of a play, with a very good cast, in a small fringe-or-call-it-what-you-will venue (my favourite kind) and it still doesn't fully click with me!  sad.gif

#16 Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*

Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:15 AM

PS The London Evening Standard gave it, and Sher, a glowing review but I haven't seen any others yet.

#17 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

Suburbanite: you mean you don't think The Crucible or Death of a Salesman or All my Sons are great plays?

#18 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Well, some people just don't click with some playwrights. Lord knows I've seen and read enough Noel Coward over the years, but he *still* leaves me cold! I know others like him, I can see how he's good, but I just don't like him myself. smile.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#19 Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*

Guest_Guest_The Suburbanite_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Oct 12 2010, 02:09 PM) View Post
Suburbanite: you mean you don't think The Crucible or Death of a Salesman or All my Sons are great plays?

I've read The Crucible and it's very compelling, and is of great interest to me as the HUAC era is a kind of pet subject of mine. Similarly, other of his works have fascinating subject matters. But having read and seen Salesman and Sons - and I realise this will be regarded as theatre heresy by some - no, they just didn't do it for me. As Weez said above, that 'click' has never happened for me.

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Like me and Sondheim, no click.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users