32 replies to this topic

#21 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Tricky one this - one of my favourite playwrights and one of my least favourite actors at a so-so venue. In the end I didn't go.

Add to his great plays "A View from the Bridge", and to his good ones "After the Fall", "The Price" and "The Man WHo Had All The Luck". Even lesser works like "The American Clock" are worthwhile.

#22 Guest_Guest_martin93_*_*

Guest_Guest_martin93_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

I feel I am cursed never to see this play. When I lived in London I didnt catch the original production at the National or when it transferred to the west end. The the revival in the late 90s in Watford passed me by. I think AS is a brilliant actor (sorry Jan!) and Miller the best post war American playwright. However, now I am in the midlands I just dont see me being able to get down. I am sure I read somewhere that they were hoping for a west end transfer for this, who knows? It doesnt sem to have been reviewed widely.

#23 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

This was amazing.  The play is a liitle flawed in my opinion and not perfect, but this didn't reduce my enjoyment of the production.  My love for Miller continues and I'd go watch it again in a flash if I could spare the cash.

#24 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:47 AM

On the website, it says the "early bird tickets have now sold out". Does this mean they do tickets on the day, as this is what that implies? I'm very keen to see this as I adored All My Sons and would love to see more Arthur Miller. Would you say it's as emotionally powerful as AMS?

#25 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

No, I think there are a few lower-price tickets available throughout the runs at the Tricycle but they go on general sale when booking begins. It's not a day-by-day offer. Can someone else confirm that though.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#26 Guest_Guest- dude-1981_*

Guest_Guest- dude-1981_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

I think you're about right.  Bit like the Hampstead Theatre sells some tkts at £22 for every show but when they are gone it's the usual rate.

#27 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

Funny ole play, isn't it? So many questions posed. I liked the performances and the set and the direction was very restrained allowing all the drama to come form the main character's breakdown. Of course, Miller on the wane is as good as others in their prime but this emerged as a homage to a great writer rather than a whambang challenging play..

Sher excellent - and I like that he does out of west end stuff. Not many places you can find this kind of quality in the outskirts! Bravo Tricycle. I've yet to see a total dud there.

#28 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

I thought this was terrific. The acting from Anthony Sher, Lucy Cohu and Nigel Lindsay was I think the best I've seen this year.

View PostLynette, on 07 November 2010 - 11:55 AM, said:

Funny ole play, isn't it?

You're probably right, but I was far more engaged with it than with All My Sons.

My first trip to the Tricycle and what a charming place. But I don't understand why this started at 8 rather than 7.30 or 7.45 (well I suspect it's because it's in Kilburn and not close to a tube station). The 10.30 finish meant I had to catch the "drunk" train home.

#29 Marius Pontmercy

Marius Pontmercy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

^ It's about three minutes walk from Kilburn tube station, which is how I got there and back yesterday.

One mobile phone went off four times (on "silent" - that is to say it went "bzzzzzzzzzzzz" very audibly) during the matinee yesterday, and someone else's bleeped literally every five minutes because it needed charging. Neither person thought to switch their phone off at any point, including the interval. And then, literally fifteen seconds before the end, the person in front of me's phone rang (properly, not on "silent"). I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't seen it, as it's a very strking and (should be) effective moment, but I'm sure those that have will understand how a full-blast Nokia tune would (and did) completely ruin the moment.

*deep breath*

But apart from that, I'm glad I saw it even though I didn't find the produciton totally satisfying. I'm really struggling to figure out exactly why - certainly not the acting, and I don't think it was the play itself - but something about it just didn't quite click with me. Antony Sher was superb in making a very dull man into a fascinating leading role (not a criticism of the writing at all, just the way the character is supposed to be). Agreed that Nigel Lindsay and Lucy Cohu were also superb, as was the whole cast really.

Plus of course there was the usual Tricycle fun of trying to find the one seat that doesn't have a bum or a reserved sign on it.

#30 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

" My first trip to the Tricycle and what a charming place. But I don't understand why this started at 8 rather than 7.30 or 7.45 (well I suspect it's because it's in Kilburn and not close to a tube station). The 10.30 finish meant I had to catch the "drunk" train home."

I suspect the late start has something to do with the cinema in the complex which seemed to start earlier when I was there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users