18 replies to this topic

#1 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

tres tres tres excited for this, David Flynn (Never Forget) is going to be in it as "Horst"

Martin Sherman's iconic play, Bent, is returning to London this July for a five week run at The Tabard Theatre after its phenomenal success at The Landor Theatre earlier this spring.Originally presented at the Royal Court Theatre in 1979, the play took London by storm, transferred to the West End and has since been seen in over 40 countries and translated into at least 21 different languages.

1930ís Berlin: Decadent Max is living with a dancer, Rudy, while he frequents nightclubs and drags home one night stands. One evening the flat is raided by the SS and a man Max has brought home is killed. Max and Rudy flee Berlin to avoid arrest and subsequent imprisonment. After a time on the run, they are arrested by the Gestapo and put on a train headed for Dachau the infamous concentration camp. What follows is a story of survival, love and self discovery.

Bent, ran for three weeks at The Landor Theatre to critical acclaim and sell out audiences. It now finds itself in its new home at The Tabard Theatre this July. Bent was nominated for various awards, including Best Actor (Russell Morton as Max & Chris Barley as Rudy) and Best Lighting Design (Howard Hudson) at The Off-West-End Awards.

In close collaboration with author Martin Sherman, the production is directed by Andrew Keates. Production team members include: Howard Hudson (Lighting Design), Freya Groves (Set & Costume Designer), Lee Freeman (Composer), Connie Glover (Sound Design), and Richard Hay (Fight Direction).

NB: 'Bent' contains male nudity. Over 16's only.

Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#2 Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*

Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

With a play that contains gruesome murder, devestating scenes of the holocaust and issues that are simply too horrific to contemplate, doesn't it undermine the play to suggest that it will be the male genitals that might give cause for concern.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

One of my all time faves... so so sad. Will make sure I get to it, not familiar with the Tabard?

#4 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

Opening night is Tuesday guys and girls

Cast
Max: Russell Morton
Rudy: Steven Butler
Horst: David Flynn
Greta: John Barr & Charlie Tighe
Freddie: David Meyer
Captain: Filip Krenus
Wolf: Owen Pullar
Lt/Kapo: Mark Collier
Corporal: Ross Holland

Tabard Theatre is in Chiswick, I gather its a small theatre, providing an intimate setting for this play.

http://www.tabardweb.co.uk/

Due to previous engagements, I can't make opening night, so I would appreciate some reviews from anyone that goes to see it

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#5 Guest_Psychic_Octopus_*

Guest_Psychic_Octopus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

http://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/28860/bent

#6 Westofwendy

Westofwendy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I went down to the Tabard to watch Bent after hearing great things about it when it was at the Landor. Sweet Jesus I had no idea it was going to be that powerful. The audience left the auditorium in silence after act one and in tears after act two. I cried like a baby. I see a lot of theatre and this was fringe at its best. Money well spent.

#7 Guest_Guest_Schuttep_*_*

Guest_Guest_Schuttep_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Totally agree.  I saw it at the Landor and it was an amazing production.

Everyone: Go; See; Enjoy.

#8 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(Guest_Schuttep_* @ Jul 9 2010, 01:00 PM) View Post
Totally agree. I saw it at the Landor and it was an amazing production.

Everyone: Go; See; Enjoy.

really looking forward to this, my friend and I are going on Friday, I enjoy stuff with strong emotion, so this sounds like it is really going to appeal

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/article/B...8_2010_20100709

#10 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(Westofwendy @ Jul 9 2010, 12:37 PM) View Post
I went down to the Tabard to watch Bent after hearing great things about it when it was at the Landor. Sweet Jesus I had no idea it was going to be that powerful. The audience left the auditorium in silence after act one and in tears after act two. I cried like a baby. I see a lot of theatre and this was fringe at its best. Money well spent.

I can totally relate!!! went to see this last night and found myself completely blown away...

The caliber of acting is very high here, especially from the 2 leads, David Flynn (Horst) and Russell Morton (Max).

The storyline is strong and emotional, and I found myself tearing up going into the interval, and shocked into sobs in the second act.  I visibly shook for at least 10 mins after the show ended, and I could barely say anything other than WOW! for a long time after, and for anyone that knows me, that in itself should prove how good this is, to have that kind of impact on me, since I never usually shut up lol

It is so hard to believe that this story is set only 70 years ago, it feels like it should have been the medieval times....

I will definately go and see this again, and recommend that everyone else does the same, you won't be disappointed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users