#1 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

Hi there!
I'm thinking of going down to London to see a couple of plays (not musicals) in Nov/Dec time and wondered what y'all would recommend. Also, which shows i would be possible to get tickets for at short(ish) notice?
I am a novice London theatre-goer; so far confined to Edinburgh and Glasgow theatre due to the fact that it is not practical for a 17 year old high school student to travel to London frequently.
I have a 15-strong wishlist, so I really need to narrow it down. My list includes the RSC London season, the NT season, the Royal Court season and things such as Macbeth, Swimming with Sharks and Glengarry Glen Ross. However, the Donmar Othello is not on my list as I may be going as part of a school trip.
I probably sound rather naive and annoying, but I ask you to forgive me.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

You don't sound naive or annoying - it's a perfectly reasonable question.

Macbeth is wonderful, though whether it will be as good in that space remains to be seen. Much Ado at the NT with Simon Russell Beale and Zoe Wanamaker should be great (starts on 10 December so it may be too late for you).

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Sep 11 2007, 11:16 AM) View Post
You don't sound naive or annoying - it's a perfectly reasonable question.

Macbeth is wonderful, though whether it will be as good in that space remains to be seen. Much Ado at the NT with Simon Russell Beale and Zoe Wanamaker should be great (starts on 10 December so it may be too late for you).

Dealers Choice is on at the Menier Chocolate Factory until 17th November.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Ian @ Sep 11 2007, 10:43 AM) View Post
Dealers Choice is on at the Menier Chocolate Factory until 17th November.

War Horse at the national sounds exciting - I'm always fascinated by putting animals as central characters on stage. There have been qome stunning realisations of such characters. Glad to see Peter hall's Animal Farm is being revived in Bath.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

In answer to your second question, you can always get cheap day seats (front stalls) for NT productions by queuing in the morning. How early you should get there depends on the show's popularity (they sell them at 10am) - ask the box office staff, but 8.30-9am is usually early enough.

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Worth checking out Lastminute.com a few weeks before you you come as they often have really good bargains (often better than the Half-Price Ticket booth) and, despite the name, they do sell tickets in advance. Using this, WOS, the NT, the half-price booth and other offers, there's not much you actually have to pay full-price for (though I'd be mightily surprised if there were discounts for the Donmar Othello and King Lear/Seagull !)

#7 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Sep 11 2007, 12:57 PM) View Post
(though I'd be mightily surprised if there were discounts for the Donmar Othello and King Lear/Seagull !)

Ah, but as a 15-25 year old you will stand a chance of getting tickets for a fiver to King Lear/The Seagull, if not in advance (though I did, after it had sold out in Startford), then on the day.

#8 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(keysersoze @ Sep 10 2007, 11:32 PM) View Post
Hi there!
I'm thinking of going down to London to see a couple of plays (not musicals) in Nov/Dec time and wondered what y'all would recommend. Also, which shows i would be possible to get tickets for at short(ish) notice?
I am a novice London theatre-goer; so far confined to Edinburgh and Glasgow theatre due to the fact that it is not practical for a 17 year old high school student to travel to London frequently.
I have a 15-strong wishlist, so I really need to narrow it down. My list includes the RSC London season, the NT season, the Royal Court season and things such as Macbeth, Swimming with Sharks and Glengarry Glen Ross. However, the Donmar Othello is not on my list as I may be going as part of a school trip.
I probably sound rather naive and annoying, but I ask you to forgive me.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve.

The deals on lastminute.com are really good value.
You should definitely look into the RSC under 25  tickets, phone them maybe.
I think that War Horse and Much Ado are the must-sees at the National; maybe Women of Troy if you want to see something that might be more unusual.
A lot of shows do last minute student tickets, if you have student ID?
Swimming with Sharks looks, to me at least, like the most expendable item on your list!!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Macbeth at the Geilgud [ also recommended by Alexandra]
The Country Wife at Theatre Royal Haymarket with very good cast, a classic
Glengarry Glen Ross, an American classic
The Arsonists at The Royal Court [ comfiest seats in all of London]

Check  the fringe venues too.

I also think you can get King Lear and The Seagull for 5 as they have to allocate these seats so call RSC box office and ask. If you get  a Lear ticket then plan the visit round that for timing. Best Lear I've ever seen.
The National has Much Ado and Women of Troy and if you fancy a very funny Noel Coward, Present Laughter, not everyone's taste. You could manage all three in two days.

Pack 'em in. Good luck.

ps Othello for a school trip ? that's a bloody good school you go to. biggrin.gif

#10 keysersoze

keysersoze

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:36 PM

In terms of the school trip to Othello, it was a case of my English teacher implying to our Headteacher that my class were studying the play this year, when in fact we studied it last year and are studying The Tempest and The Winter's Tale (which the Lyceum in Edinburgh are producing) instead.

Thank you to all who have replied and please keep them coming. I'm on these boards every day and always see you wonderful comments and opinions so it's nice that they are directed at me.

P.S. I misjudged my so-called 'wishlist' - it actually contains 20 possible shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users